Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help installing Vacuum Guage

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help installing Vacuum Guage

I am interested in installing a mechanical vacuum guage in my Camero. Where is the best place to tap a source of vaccum? Also, would appreciate advise on which dimmer switch wire to tap into for the guage light.

W.W.
Jefferson, LA
Old 01-14-2003, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help installing Vacuum Guage

Go here http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html
Old 01-14-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the tip Batmobile/SS.

I've visited Craig's SS #670 web page before, and it provides some useful information. He said he hooked up his vaccum guage to the fuel purge canister near the firewall, but I can't seem to locate it on my car. The only obvious vaccum line I see is the 1/2" line running to the power brake booster. I was thinking about swapping in a different PB booster check valve with an addition vacuum port, but can't seem to locate one at the local parts store. Any Ideas?
Old 01-14-2003, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

The fuel purge canister is mounted on the driver side on the intake manifold. It has a line that runs to the front of the intake manifold behind the TB. I disconnected the line connecting the valve to the intake(it is short and has a push connection on each end) and replaced it with a brass T fitting and rubber hose.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Again Batmobile/SS

Where did you get the brass tee fitting? The one I got from AutoMeter is plastic.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

You will need to buy a Brass T with 3 threaded female ports and also 2 separate male threaded hose barb end connections, which you install into the tee(use teflon tape on the threads). Connect the rubber hose to these two ends and then connect to the purge valve and intake port. Use worm screw clamps to secure the hose ends. The third port will be to install the gauge vacuum line.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again for the tips Batmobile/SS! I got the plumbing hooked up, thanks to your help, and my guage is now operational.

I still need a little help with wiring the guage light to the dimmer switch. On the back of this "01 Z-28 dimmer switch I count 4 wires. 1 Green, 1 Grey, 1 Black, and 1 Brown. Any thoughts, or suggestions as to which one to wire to the "hot" side of the guage light?

ZigZagZ
Jefferson, LA