Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning

So.. I will be getting Warbird's car real soon.. And I want to do this right. As he will have it dyno tuned, I would still like to have some tuning software to tweak stuff down the road. And also to monitor and scan etc etc.. BUT my question is this.. What to get? I've done the search and stuff. HPtuners just came out with 2 Bar for 98s.. The car is a 1998 Formula WS6 391 LS2 w/ T88.. So.. The street tune will be at about 12psi.. and the high boost will probably be 18psi on race gas.. But I've read that 2 bar gets maxed out at about 15psi. If I want to run 20psi I don't want any restrictions. There are 60lb Motorons on the car now. I'll probably be doing some beefing up down the road and maybe we'll see 900-1000hp.. I know some of you have done a 3 bar set up. But I have NEVER tuned a car before.. But I am more than willing to learn. And I would like to MONITOR Everything. I live in lexington, SC. So if someone can teach... I would be appreciative!! I need to get some software. I have a laptop.. what would you guys recommend.?? 1998 Formula WS6..
Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was it tuned with before.
if your really want to get serious, then id recomend bs3, some people are running some good numbers with that, seems to be the top standalone.

might get away with HPT and a 3 bar, but you still have the problem of only having high impedance injectors, also when stenod gets the maft-pro figured out, but same thing with injectors, unless you do a high impedance converter.

you also have megasquirt, but youd still have to get somethign to control spark.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was originaly tuned using LS1 edit. The motor will be broken in using the old tune and then it will be retuned using HP Tuners.

To give you an idea the car still runs the stock PCM and harness, it is also a push through MAF at this point. The fuel system uses a C5 fuel rail with a rail mounted AFPR, full return line and twin in-tank Walboro 255 lb/hr pumps running in tandem. The fuel system was done this way to maintain constant line pressure. The injectors are Mototron 65 lb/hr high impedence at 51 psi. I also have a Greddy Profec B-Spec boost controller installed. Other tuning items are 60mm wategate and 60mm blow-off valvle.

Formulafire will recieve the car tuned for street and the engine broken in. I'm sure he will want to make changes but I really want him to enjoy the car and have a good experience with it. Any help or advice you can give him would be great. I will also follow this thread to answer any questions that might be helpful.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

I'll have to do some research on megasquirt and high impedance converters, as I am not too familar with them.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

If you need any engine questions answered let me know, I was involved with the buildup. Paul can you get the blueprints still?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Warbird
It was originaly tuned using LS1 edit. The motor will be broken in using the old tune and then it will be retuned using HP Tuners.

To give you an idea the car still runs the stock PCM and harness, it is also a push through MAF at this point. The fuel system uses a C5 fuel rail with a rail mounted AFPR, full return line and twin in-tank Walboro 255 lb/hr pumps running in tandem. The fuel system was done this way to maintain constant line pressure. The injectors are Mototron 65 lb/hr high impedence at 51 psi. I also have a Greddy Profec B-Spec boost controller installed. Other tuning items are 60mm wategate and 60mm blow-off valvle.

Formulafire will recieve the car tuned for street and the engine broken in. I'm sure he will want to make changes but I really want him to enjoy the car and have a good experience with it. Any help or advice you can give him would be great. I will also follow this thread to answer any questions that might be helpful.
Were you running 65# injectors before Paul? If you were running 42#ers before I would the tuner scale them before breaking the car in. Otherwise you might wash the rings.

I am really sorry to hear you are selling the car. I have a lot of good memories of that car
Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLED28
If you need any engine questions answered let me know, I was involved with the buildup. Paul can you get the blueprints still?
Dave,

I'll see what I can do. I want to document the car for Formulafire so he knows everything that was done. Any help from you would be great
Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Were you running 65# injectors before Paul? If you were running 42#ers before I would the tuner scale them before breaking the car in. Otherwise you might wash the rings.

I am really sorry to hear you are selling the car. I have a lot of good memories of that car
The injectors were always scaled for 65#ers so no worries there. The fuel system is changed but that is being tuned into the program.

I'm sorry to see it go as well Chris, we had a lot of fun with it I'm sure it is going to someone who will give it the attention it needs.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

The injectors were always scaled for 65#ers so no worries there. The fuel system is changed but that is being tuned into the program.

I'm sorry to see it go as well Chris, we had a lot of fun with it I'm sure it is going to someone who will give it the attention it needs.
You should post up the video of the 10.99 pass
Old 05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Launching!

I have it someplace.... let me look for it tonight Chrispy
Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

FormulaFire,

It might be an idea to have the car together, tuned and broken in up here. That way if any issues arise it can be taken care of under warranty.

BTW 12#'s on that car will be VERY fun.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
FormulaFire,

It might be an idea to have the car together, tuned and broken in up here. That way if any issues arise it can be taken care of under warranty.

BTW 12#'s on that car will be VERY fun.
yea.. that's the plan hopefully. Just being patient is the hard part.. ha. But HOPEFULLY I can fly up June 3rd for a few days and Paul and I can have some fun with the car. And maybe meet all you guys? Make a trip out of it.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am away on business from the 2nd till the 10th but if you can postpone a week I'd love to meet up
Old 05-24-2006, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Dave,

I'll see what I can do. I want to document the car for Formulafire so he knows everything that was done. Any help from you would be great
Not a problem, just ask if you guys need something.

Quick Reply: Tuning