Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hit 3rd and something gave out - help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit 3rd and something gave out - help!

This morning on my way to work I was running through the gears and a hit 3rd and punched it and the revs just went to the limiter but i didnt miss the gear or grind or nothing, it was sitting in 3rd.

I roll to a stop and clutch hydraulics feel good, no fluid leaking from underneath or nothing. I pump the clutch and put it into gear and go to take off and as the clutch engages i just hear it clunk and rattle and i start to roll forward a bit but then let it out and stop. After that it was giving me a hard time getting it into gear and after letting it sit for a bit it let me and i was able to limp home but i had to be really easy on it, any acceleration would just let the revs jump and make a nasty sound.

I was thinkin maybe the throwout bearing went, it was giving me a hard time getting into gear and back out of gear with the clutch pushed in but it would then all of a sudden just slide in if i turned the car off and back on or just gave it a bit of time.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Launching!

maybe disc coming apart(spring on the disc) or pressure plate bolt came loose???

without see exactly doing, that is the closest guess i made. check it out from there.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:12 AM
12 Second Club

Local tranny shop called me yesterday. They said my pressure plate grenaded and the throwout bearing and the pilot bushing, it also scored up my flywheel.

So im putting in a Spec 3+ w/ aluminum flywheel

Anyone know the weight of the spec aluminum? stock flywheel is 28lbs right?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Got pics of clutch, looks like the circle of metal that goes around the outside of the springs on the friction disc just broke at multiple places. What causes something like that?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

the weight of the flywheel (fidanza makes them for spec) is around 12-12.5lbs. The aluminum preasure plate option from spec I belive is also 12lbs lighter than stock.

Quick Reply: Hit 3rd and something gave out - help!