LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hypertech and E10 (10% ethanol)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hypertech and E10 (10% ethanol)

I posted this at the PCM Diagnostics & Tuning section but since I have an LT1, I'd figure I'd post here too.

I reinstalled Hypertech's "power tuning" even though I'm using E10 (10% ethanol) rated at 93 octane in my '97 LT1. I had it out after I asked Hypertech about E10 and their tuning, all they told me was they never tested or tuned for ethanol-blended fuel, and the car may ping/detonate. The reason I reinstalled this is after researching all over the internet, not finding any claims that power tuning and E10 is a bad idea, I figured how bad can Hypertech's tuning be? I made 1 or 2 WOT runs (up to highway speeds), and did not notice any hesitation, knocking or pinging (not sure what to listen for). The car ran great, I assume the tuning is still safe.

This is on a basically stock engine with bolt-ons (CAI, 160* stat, Spintech muffler)
Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly I would avoid BOTH the Hypercrap and E10.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to run leaner with even e10 IIRC.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well bro i have been running e 10 for about 2 weeks and i have a predator tune and my cars seems to run really good on this stuff
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

In NJ, it's impossible to avoid E10. I believe every station has it as of May 5 of this year.

If anyone could explain what knock, ping, or detonation sounds like, I'd appreciate it. My engine felt and sounded normal. I know most on this board don't like Hypertech, but for some reason my car feels a bit stronger with Hypertech (my rear wheels break away easier when doing a downshift to 1st at around 20-25 mph on the auto tranny).

96capricemgr, are you saying to avoid the combination, or to avoid e10 and hypertech for different reasons?

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 05-27-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car's computer should pull timeing B4 your hear any pinging or knocking. Take it to a strip and see what it likes better. The truth will be in the MPH
Old 05-27-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

I would avoid both individually. The Hypertech MIGHT have netted you a gain but even if it did it is not as good as a good custom tune and new costs a whole lot more than custom.
The whole idea of ethanol in this country is unsound, corn is a bad way to make it and the studies range from 4 times as much energy to make it as is gotten back to just a 37% gain claimed by the pro-ethanol camp, the truth undoubtedly lays somewhere in the middle. Subsidies(your tax dollars being wasted) for the crap amount to $.54 per gallon, science is it contains fewer BTUs so it is just plain science you will have to burn more to go the same distance. Stoichometric AFR for gas is 14.7 ethanol is 9.0, you can burn that much alcohol because it brings some oxygen with it. That is how race motors can make so much power on alcohol burning HUGE quantities, the fact it brings in oxygen and serves as a chemical intercooler are what allow you to burn so much.
Our climate and the fact we use corn mean ethanol under the current production can never be a signifigant alternative to gas. For you that say "but my money stays here" think again the energy used to process the crap is fossil and then look into just how much oil we and Canada are sitting on, cliff's note are MUCH more the the middle east it just isn't so easily tapped but with current prices is viable BUT we need to allow it to be developed and there lies the problem.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

But using both E10 rated at 93 octane and Hypertech power tuning won't hurt anything, right (that's what I'm most concerned with here)? Will the E10 increase he tendency to knock/ping/detonate? I heard some are using E10 with custom tunes that are more aggressive than Hypertech with no issues. If that's the case, I shouldn't have issues with the Hypertech and E10, right? Thanks.

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 05-28-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Shouldn't hurt anything. Ethanol is higher octane than gas leaving the only chance of harm being the fact you need a lot more of it with just 10% and I am sure Hypertech doesn't run that lean a programming it should be OK.
I just really wish the ethanol crap would die. The REAL reason behind it is buying caucus votes in Iowa and the "feel good greenies" on the coasts eat up the BS spread about it being benificial. This is why it is picking up steam even as the EPA admits it was a mistake. I am glad to say they tried to madate the crap here recently and the state Republicans killed it based on lack of evidence of any true benifit. Still more stations carry it than don't I urge all of you that know enough to search out real 100% gas where you can(I know some areas you can't) to compliment the station manager for selling it.

Quick Reply: Hypertech and E10 (10% ethanol)