General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

seafoam problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

i seafoamed my 85 305 chev pu w/136,000 miles, it smoked some on start up. then i took it for a drive. it was fine for a mile or so. then at the next light i got on it some and it pulled good, but then when i slowed down it ran like ***. it was popping and could hardly get out of its own way. i drove it back home and tryed to clear it out,but i never did. did i foul up the plugs or what?any suggestions?
also, i checked all the wires with the timing light, they are all fireing,and it revs alright in park,but in gear it bogs out bad. HELP?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

how much did you put in?? its 1/2 in the booster hose, 1/2 in the oil filler tube or PCV tube your choice, and one full can in the gas tank.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a guess but could the seafoam have dislodged something in the tank and clogged the carb/TB? I'd change the fuel filter and see if it is gummed up.
Good luck man.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

You didnt say if you put any in the gas tank, but if you did changing the fuel filter should be part of the seafoam project after the seafoam runs its way out of the system/tank. The seafoam works so well that it dislodges junk that is in the fuel lines after the filter and it may have found its way to the injectors and clogging them too to a point.

Do you have any codes? Might be O2 sensor also.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does your truck have a catalytic converter on it? SeaFoam may have clogged it.
If so you might try and put a "test" pipe in place. But a fuel filter is what like $1.00 and 5 min work for a Quadrajet, so do a basic "tune up" first.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

1/3 through carb,2/3 in tank. no O2 sensors,no cat conv. brand new fuel filter looks new still. full tune up.plugs look great. put in new timing chain this weekend because there was about 12 degrees of slop in chain. still running the same. i'm really starting to lean towards a broken valve spring, cause i was reving it pretty high before it took a ****. and when i foot brake the motor it sounds like a ford diesel on one side of engine.i'll check that tonight.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRANSAM75
1/3 through carb,2/3 in tank. no O2 sensors,no cat conv. brand new fuel filter looks new still. full tune up.plugs look great. put in new timing chain this weekend because there was about 12 degrees of slop in chain. still running the same. i'm really starting to lean towards a broken valve spring, cause i was reving it pretty high before it took a ****. and when i foot brake the motor it sounds like a ford diesel on one side of engine.i'll check that tonight.
With that in mind, I think its internal also.
Seafoam normally dont make the motor run the way you said unless something in the emisions or O2 went bad. Bad spring wont be bad to replace
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

One Of My Coworker Mechanics Thinks It Might Be Carbon Stuck In The Valve.he Told Me To Pour Water In Carb At 2000 Rpm To Break It Loose.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

I Think I Found The Problem. The Carb Gasket Was Seperating And Cracked And Generally Disingrating. I Think The Seafoam Finally Did It In. I Put In A New One And Degreased The Carb. It Now Runs Like A Dream.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't ya' just LOVE it when something turns out to be a simple fix??