Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

meth or nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default meth or nitrous?

i have been told that meth is less safe than nitrous when using it with boost. but i thought meth was the ultimate additive for boost. can someone straighten me out. thanks
Old 06-05-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who in the world told you that?!?!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by engineermike
Who in the world told you that?!?!

the guy @ the local speed shop. i just wanted to clarify. so meth is much better. good thats what i thought and then this guy goes telling me that nitrous is better and it kinda threw me so i had to ask
Old 06-05-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meth decreases EGT's, while Nitrous increases EGT's. You have to retard the timing for Nitrous, but you advance it when it's on Meth. Draw your own conclusions. . .

Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

meth = better for boost
Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

But isn't it true that if Meth stops spraying during a hard run you can lose the engine, where if nitrous stops nothing happens but a decrease in power output????

Old 06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

But isn't it true that if Meth stops spraying during a hard run you can lose the engine, where if nitrous stops nothing happens but a decrease in power output????
Depends on how agressive you've been with your methanol; if you're spraying a lot and you've increased timing... and if you're not intercooled, and if you've got some decent boost... yah, a methanol delivery failure could put the hurt on.

On the other hand, while a failed nitrous delivery wouldn't be a problem, I'm sure we've all seen the rather explosive results of a wet nitrous MIS-delivery.

I think it kinda depends how close to the edge you run with either route.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RW99
Depends on how agressive you've been with your methanol; if you're spraying a lot and you've increased timing... and if you're not intercooled, and if you've got some decent boost... yah, a methanol delivery failure could put the hurt on.

On the other hand, while a failed nitrous delivery wouldn't be a problem, I'm sure we've all seen the rather explosive results of a wet nitrous MIS-delivery.

I think it kinda depends how close to the edge you run with either route.
If your flowing less meth and therefore less timing and more fuel, it wouldnt be as lethal to the engine in the event of a failure due to the state of the tune. Your only benefit would be the slight increase in fuel octane and the cooler air charge.
Same with N2O, a small DRY shot would really only benefit you due to the cooler air charge. While the extra Oxygen carried by the N20 would be marginal at such a small shot and therefore not compound the detonation tendencies as bad. But the PCM would have to be able to provide the extra fuel for the N2O.

So like he said above, they both can be just as dangerous to your engine given the right circumstances. Just depends on how close to that ragged edge you wanna go. The closer the more dangerous it gets.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why im getting a 2.5 gallon cell
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quickin

And think what would happen if a fuel noid failed mid run snapping shut or a n2o noid stuck open - i understand some bigger setups double up on noids to help keep the sticking open problem from happening, but if fuel never opened up it would blow up the engine just as fast.

Quick Reply: meth or nitrous?