General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another turn signal problem

Alright I did a search and I am still puzzled. A couple weeks ago my front passenger turn signal went out, didn't blink just a solid green arrow on the dash and the bulb wasn't flashing. Replaced that and everything was fine until a couple days ago when it went out again. Today on my way home, the DRIVERS side went out too. Now from what I have gathered, if it was the flasher relay unit then they would have gone out at the same time and if it were the sockets then they would have gone out at different times. Also, both lenses are cracked so this leads me to think that it is the sockets and not the relay because wouldn't they have gone out at the same time? Also my DRL are out as well. So is it both sockets that are coincidentally out at the same time? If it is, should I just spend a little more money and get completely new housings and sockets for both sides?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

now today my driver's side signal works again, still nothing from the passenger side
Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on my camaro, the way the body of the f-body's are build, and the housing of the parking light & turn signal is set up, water basically just gets blown in and it can get in the socket for the bulbs, thus blowing the bulb or causing it not to work, eventually it can melt the housing, I had to replace mine yesterday, I had an extra housing lying around fortunately, because the one in the car had been melted by the water getting in the socket. One way to help this problem is to take out the housing, and drill a few small holes on the underside of the housing so that the water can leak out, other than that, its just a design flaw....A cheap fix is to take some silicon glue and put a small bead around the outside of the housing between it and the body, if done correctly you can do this on the inside of the body so it won't go on your paint, just time and patience to do the glue. Your best bet is drilling a few holes....Goodluck bro, its an everday struggle in the rain .
Old 06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the terminals in the sockets for any corrosion, that should be the problem. Also the next time it rains or wash your car, pull the light sockets out to see how much water is getting in there. I've replaced both of mine. Whatever you do, don't get them from a dealer. They charge like $60 for a single socket. Try autozone, pepboys,etc...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think you have to glue your housings to the bumper. The water/moisture is coming in thru your cracked lenses. If everything is still in good shape, then try to fix the crack. Use some clear caulk on your fingertip and rub it along and into the crack on the lens. Then wipe off the excess. If the socket is still good, use some dielectric grease and get some new bulbs.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey. your bulbs arent burning out. i figured this out. i went through 4-5 diff bulbs and finally realized the problem. dont push the bulb all the way in. for some reaosn on my TA when the bulb is pushed all the way in it looses contact somehow. since then i pushed bulb into the connection mabe 80% in. and its worked perfect since. i too though mabe moisture had gotten to the bulb also. but it didnt.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Update: Well the socket is corroded so I tried to brush out the corrosion and was about to use some dielectric grease but it still didn't work so I guess it was time for me to just get a new socket. I have tried every store in town and no one carries them and can't even order them. I even looked when I was out of town and no one had it there. Am I doomed to fork the money over through GM. Anyone happen to have the part #?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

I'm having the same problem with my car. Something tells me it's going to be either water or corrosion. I wash my car once or twice a week with a pretty high psi power washer. This all started a couple of months after I bought it, so I'm assuming that's it. I'll look at it tomorrow....too lazy right now, and the pool is calling me.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MJE95GAGT
Update: Well the socket is corroded so I tried to brush out the corrosion and was about to use some dielectric grease but it still didn't work so I guess it was time for me to just get a new socket. I have tried every store in town and no one carries them and can't even order them. I even looked when I was out of town and no one had it there. Am I doomed to fork the money over through GM. Anyone happen to have the part #?
Yep, when one of my sockets went bad I ran into the same problem. No one but GM carries the socket.

GM part #12159662
Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

time to get a set of clear lenses..
Old 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

yup I ordered smoked lens covers and found the part # for the sockets in another thread and ordered it from GMPartsDirect a few days ago. $27 for the lens covers and $75 for 2 sockets.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Yeah my both my turn signals went out and the housing shorted out. I have replaced a fog light due to it shorting out. Mine is going into the dealer only cause its under warrenty still and they gotta replace my D side headlight motor and the other fog light... yeah what fun.. and to get parts in Hawaii sucks
Old 07-01-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the right part# for the DRL/lamp housing for a TA? 10301405 for left and 10301404 for right?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

if they keep blowing make sure there is no debre in the socket (a peice of lastic from old bulbs..ect..) mine kept blowing and sure enough that was the problem...