Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vig 3200 installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vig 3200 installed

hum....that's I have right now. After reading everyone's posts on how it is soooo much better and " a different beast" I am a bit disappointed? It is better and way more fun to drive but I guess I was expecting something more. Putting on tires tonight and hope to hit the track tomorow and see if time improve according to the rest.

Time will tell.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, when you go WOT from a dead stop you don't spin all the way to redline? Before my Vig, my car use to just squeel the tires. After, i couldn't even hook with DR's. It was a HUGE difference. Some more feedback please.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also dropped a solid .5 in the 1/4, would of been more if i could find a tad more traction.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped .88 by just going to a Vig3200 and ET Streets. Around town it felt soggy at first, then I got used to it. I think why you are disappointed is because it will start to feel normal. I used to commute 150 miles per day and it felt fine with the Vig3200. But when I went WOT, as stated, even drag radials were not good enough. It would go sideways on me and cross over to the opposite lanes (road was empty). You will NOT be disappointed by your track results.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you taken out TM yet? I didn't notice much after my vig 2800 until my torque management was deleted with the predator.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I just ordered a vig 3200 earlier this week and should be installing it next week. I hope I am satisfied with it. I also ordered a transgo shift kit to go with it, is anybody running a shift kit with this stall?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

I also ordered the Vig 3200...triple disc. I was told a transmission cooler is a must with this but will skip the transgo.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My pig heavy beast is cutting 1.5 60' times with a Vig 3200. I love mine.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY
So, when you go WOT from a dead stop you don't spin all the way to redline? Before my Vig, my car use to just squeel the tires. After, i couldn't even hook with DR's. It was a HUGE difference. Some more feedback please.
My car would spin all the way to redline with the stock automatic if I let it...LS1's have the power, you should have been able to. Let's not even mention the converter install
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
My car would spin all the way to redline with the stock automatic if I let it...LS1's have the power, you should have been able to. Let's not even mention the converter install
No it wouldn't, just squeel or series of chirps. Hooked great! Of course, the stock F1's were new not dry rotted. A trip to the track (lid only) yielded a 13.23 @ 104.88 with a 2.0 60ft time so it's not like the car lacked power. It seemed to put it down really good from the factory. Stall cutout and pulley brought it down to a 12.64 @ 106.6 with a 1.77 60ft time.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I have not been to the track yet. I was hoping to out there tomorrow but it's calling for rain. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all and I'm not disappointed, just thought it would be more. I don't have cooler on it yet, so I'm going easy on it until I can get it in. I hope to add the shiftkit in couple weeks. I will def post my times. The best I have to date is 13.20 @ 105 with full exhaust and lid..crappy tires (16x8 kumho's) Stay tuned. I got MT ET steets on it tonight so that should help.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

did not make it to the track, ran out of push-lock and took a little longer to get the trans cooler in so I went out on the town instead. I revoke my previous statement. I took out a built Evo off the line and from a roll. Although we were dead nuts until fourth @ 90mph then I pulled on him. BUt off the line...he got his AWD *** handed to him and it was FUN! I still think there is more to be had. Perhaps I feel victom to the "should have bigger" crowd. The 3200 seems very managable around town though. Any bigger and I think drivability would have to begin to be compromised? I can not wait to see my new track time. Any suggestions on the next mod? perhaps an LS6 intake and pully?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

so for a car that is a true street car daily driver that will never ever see the track, do you think the 3200 will be the perfect size stall. i talked to one of the sponsors and they even recommended a 2800 because they said anything bigger i wouldnt use on the street. i also agree. i mean, all you guys are saying your spinning out and barely hooking. so why would i want a 3800 and 4000 stall at a stop light when i wouldnt be able to hook up?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using a Vig 3600 since 1996 and as long as you have some suspension and tire you'll be fine...I have never driven anything like it. I have daily driven this car for a while and it drives like a stocker until you nail it, then all hell breaks loose. It "hits" like my old GN used to do under full boost. I got .5 tenths and zero drivability issues...Bryan at PCMforless couldn't believe how this thing "hits" on the dyno....call Precision Industries and ask them what they think you should use for your combo...

--Alan
Old 06-10-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure if you guys are aware of this but the Vig3200 has an actual stall speed of 3600-3800 depending on your mods (mine flashes at 3800). It's not a 3200 stall. PI underrates their converters, it's pretty well known. The Vig2800 has an actual stall speed of 3200.

I have the following: bmr tubular (poly) lca's, bmr non adj. torque arm, bmr phb, 17" et street radials. Even with all those suspension goodies and the stickiest drag radial out there (at 22psi) I still won't hook on the street. I'll do much better than when I was Nitto's only but still, it hits hard. It's a larger street stall, bigger than say a tci SSF3500. With track prep I'll pull mid-late 1.6's on a full weight, 3.23 geared car.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I would say it is the perfect stall for a steert car. That is what mine is. I go to the track once after each mod to see truely what I have gained. Even with street tires it's not too bad. It will spin them hard but it's what the car did that without the stall. From a roll it's the ****. I would not have been happy spending the money I did on tires/stall/fluid/cooler and lines if I went any smaller.

Last edited by dyers98; 06-10-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I have been driving with a vig 3200 for about 7 months now.What I have seen is that the car feels slower than stock on street tires.Drivability is ok as far as looseness.Surging and lockup problems seem to come and go along with misfire codes and air codes that I never had before the install.Roll ons even though the famous 30-40 mph dead spot is gone feel slower,alot of rpm's and not much more thrust like the stock converter had especially the nice kickdown at 67-70 mph.

Now when I put full slicks on it is different story.I honestly think that with skinnies and a disconnected sway bar I could yank a wheel on the street.It hits that hard! It hits a hell of a lot harder than the stock converter ever could even with slicks.My dissapointment is that I drive on street tires 99.999999 percent of the time. Street tires will never do the converter justice and you really miss out on what this converter is really about.

Chris
Old 06-10-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a fully modded Evo as soon as I put the Converter along with the Full Bolt ons. I love my converter.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stab & Steer SS
I have been driving with a vig 3200 for about 7 months now.What I have seen is that the car feels slower than stock on street tires.Drivability is ok as far as looseness.Surging and lockup problems seem to come and go along with misfire codes and air codes that I never had before the install.Roll ons even though the famous 30-40 mph dead spot is gone feel slower,alot of rpm's and not much more thrust like the stock converter had especially the nice kickdown at 67-70 mph.

Now when I put full slicks on it is different story.I honestly think that with skinnies and a disconnected sway bar I could yank a wheel on the street.It hits that hard! It hits a hell of a lot harder than the stock converter ever could even with slicks.My dissapointment is that I drive on street tires 99.999999 percent of the time. Street tires will never do the converter justice and you really miss out on what this converter is really about.

Chris
Chris, have you had your torque management deleted? I remember mine felt mushy from a WOT punch until I had the built trans put in. The converter really softens the shifts and even a shift kit didn't do much IMO. The top end of the car did feel like I had a power loss when I was bolt ons only. It is less efficient than the stock converter so you do lose some up top. Although it feels slower it is actually faster because your peak takes a hit but you gain in the low/mid range. Hence being able to get much improved ET's and in some cases an improvement in trap speed.

If I was starting over again with a n/a setup I'd pick this converter again.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I have a predator programer with the firmness and shift time turned up.I have heard that there may be more programing that can be done by Diablosport to fix some issues but I have not gotten around to it yet.

Chris

Quick Reply: vig 3200 installed