Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever changed the oil pan gasket on your 4th gen? Come on in!....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ever changed the oil pan gasket on your 4th gen? Come on in!....

So tomorrow I'm putting the car on jackstands to change my leaky oil pan gasket.

Whos done it? I have a few questions.

I'm guesing the motor mounts have to get unbolted and the motor lifted up, while the K member gets unbolted and goes down to generate enough clearance for the pan to clear the oil pick up tube.

Did you have to get the steering shaft off, or did it not have to move that far to make enough room?

how about the wiring harness... anything have to be moved when you lifted the motor? And the brake lines aswell, unbolted?

I'm not exactly sure how far the K member has to go down to get room is why i'm asking, I know it can go down a bit without having to undo anything, but how far? Thats why you people who have done this are useful!!

I guess I could just fuigure it out as I go along, but being i'm not on a lift and just on my back under a car on jackstands, sa little guess work as possible would be desired!

any tips you used will help.

Also, why did you use to get the damn rivets off? a punch? Grinder? etc?

Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jermzz
I'm guesing the motor mounts have to get unbolted and the motor lifted up, while the K member gets unbolted and goes down to generate enough clearance for the pan to clear the oil pick up tube.

Yup! You'll probably want to unbolt the alternator and A/C as well to help you get the big bolts out of the motor mounts.

Did you have to get the steering shaft off, or did it not have to move that far to make enough room?

Take the bolt out of the steering shaft so the 2 pieces seperate

how about the wiring harness... anything have to be moved when you lifted the motor? And the brake lines aswell, unbolted?

You should be fine, but I always keep an eye on things just to make sure

I'm not exactly sure how far the K member has to go down to get room is why i'm asking, I know it can go down a bit without having to undo anything, but how far? Thats why you people who have done this are useful!!

As long as you have the motor supported from the top, completely take out the 6 k-member bolts.

Also, why did you use to get the damn rivets off? a punch? Grinder? etc?
drill

Thanks!!
Good luck!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Think the steering shaft will come all the way off? that think is a bitch to get back on with the headers in there.

Thanks for the info! I swapped the motor myself no sweat so it should be a walk in the park, but like I said it's nice to take the guess work out.

anyone else with little tips please chime in
Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Yes the 2 pieces will just seperate. When you are raising the k-member back up you'll have to make sure you get the steering arm lined back up. It can be a bit of a pain, but you sound pretty mechanically inclined so I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Taking the oil pan off is a bitch. I loosened the shocks, unbolted the steering shaft, k -member and front sway bar. Definitely don't forget the sway bar; it drops the k - member down a bunch. I completely took out three of the six bolts holding on the K-member, the two that are closest to the rear of the car, and the middle on the passenger side. The other bolts were backed almost all the way out. Once you have done all that just pry on the k -member while pulling the oil pan out. I just used a screwdriver and pliers on the rivets.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

SUCCESS! .... Kinda....

I have one last question. After replacing the oil pan gasket, before putting the K member back on I decided to fill the motor with oil to look for leaks. The car was at about a 45 degree angle front end up.

15 minutes later there was no leak so I put the rest of the car back together. Ten minutes after I started to bolt the K member up the motor started to leak from right in between where the pan and the bell housing meet. Then it got worse and worse, and worse untill it was about a drop every 5 seconds. At that point I was not about to take it all apart, because I figured it was the main seal. I put the car back together and put it back on the ground. It then stopped leaking then and never leaked a drip after that. I started it and drove it around, everything and it's fine now.

Why would it leak and then just stop for no reason and never leak again?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Did you use some RTV sealer where the pan/Block/rear cover all meet?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, there's RTV on the back and the front of the pan.

It still hasn't leaked again. How the hell was it leaking????
Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Restricted User

Weird. My front cover leaked when I did my first cam install a few years back. I used rtv on the corners, but the leak was the actual seal...the weekend I went to replace it, the damn thing stopped leaking, never leaked again after that. I say dont ask why, just be thankful
Old 06-10-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thankful for sure!! But I still wish I knew why!