Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Carb Owned EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EFI owned by Carb

Finally have the toilet on my car and yeah I know this is an inappropriate place so feel free to delete/lock BUT....

VS.

EFI...spins first easier

Carb, (670 Holley with vac. secondaries and full MSD ign) spins hitting second (just like EFI) and chirps every gear except OD (EFI wouldnt get 4th to chirp)

EFI-more responsive until 2,500rpm (where my cam comes awake anyways)

Carb, linear power after the secondaries open vs. the VTEC like feel of EFI when I hit 3500.

Carb, does not surge at idle and allows me to get gone and not wait 10 minutes for the car to heat up.

EFI, did not reek of fuel, but also the plugs looked WAY LEAN, Carb gets a good burn, if a bit rich, but rich is always better than lean imho.

EFI, sucked oil through the PCV much more agressively due to it being in the lifter valley in the back of the intake manifold.

Synopsis: All in all, carb feels stronger, doesnt suck as much oil through the PCV, doesnt surge, and doesnt have hanging idle between shifts. It does feel a bit more "laggy" out of the powerband and it does reek of fuel, but I love being asked what that smell is....its the smell of performance and damn your whales!!!!

Last edited by Stanger88; 06-09-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
All in all, carb feels stronger, doesnt suck as much oil through the PCV, doesnt surge, and doesnt have hanging idle between shifts. It does feel a bit more "laggy" out of the powerband...
How's you're top end now, did you get the chance to bring her out on the highway yet to test? Since you've gone carb, why not get medieval on everyone's ***, and drop in a 460...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Finally have the toilet on my car and yeah I know this is an inappropriate place so feel free to delete/lock BUT....

VS.

(I have the strut bar back in btw, this was 80% complete)

EFI...spins first easier

Carb, (670 Holley with vac. secondaries and full MSD ign) spins hitting second (just like EFI) and chirps every gear except OD (EFI wouldnt get 4th to chirp)

EFI-more responsive until 2,500rpm (where my cam comes awake anyways)

Carb, linear power after the secondaries open vs. the VTEC like feel of EFI when I hit 3500.

Carb, does not surge at idle and allows me to get gone and not wait 10 minutes for the car to heat up.

EFI, did not reek of fuel, but also the plugs looked WAY LEAN, Carb gets a good burn, if a bit rich, but rich is always better than lean imho.

EFI, sucked oil through the PCV much more agressively due to it being in the lifter valley in the back of the intake manifold.

Synopsis: All in all, carb feels stronger, doesnt suck as much oil through the PCV, doesnt surge, and doesnt have hanging idle between shifts. It does feel a bit more "laggy" out of the powerband and it does reek of fuel, but I love being asked what that smell is....its the smell of performance and damn your whales!!!!
looks good, I would of too loved to seen a 460 in it. That's what I should of done to my tbird v8. I traded it in when I bought my truck, that would of been a great track car.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

I know from a performance standpoint carbs provide more power under WOT but IMO are harder to tune. Weather changes would affect the a/f and thus have to reject the carb. I have a buddy of mine that has a 302 with a demon on it. He swears that it's more street friendly then EFI and his A/F is always the same throught the year. Looks good. Are those E7's? -Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

Shaved .030 GT40P's
WOT and top end is stronger than EFI imho.

My car runs rich, not TOO rich, but after WOT if I leave it in gear at high rpm and let off I get a bit of backfire. The plugs look pretty good, if a bit rich. I would rather run a tad rich b/c im at sea level and if I ever go anywhere else I want some safety margin.

I like the 302, it works well, the 460 would have some MEAN power though, I just wanted to remain semi-pure as far as the car went.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

PS 4th gear now chirps when I granny shift into it at 80
Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Ha ha, I never thought I'd hear myself saying this about an EFI car but, I think the top pic looks cleaner under the hood lol.

Glad it's working out for ya...
Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

Lol, maybe the tire shine and the better lighting helped the EFI one out. Yeah, there are less wireing snafus on the EFI one, but the carb one is actually streetable. EFI was SOOooooo tempermental. Hanging idle between shifts, needed minimum 10 minutes to warm up on a 70* or cooler day, on and on. I love carb and will never own another EFI car that I plan on modding unless I have a custom setup on it.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Nice to see you finished that. OT, but what clutch do you have?

Im piecing together a new top end right now. Going for 320 to the wheels and low twelves on a tire. I'll probably hit the track in about two months once all is said and done......can't wait. I'm staying efi though. I get so sick of carburators with my winter truck that I'd rather keep the fuel injection.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

its the smell of performance and damn your whales!!!!

lol

Nice setup! I like the carb look better and probably will with just about any car. What cam and intake are you running now? Also, did you have to rejet or change the tune on the carb that much from the factory settings?

Jason
Old 06-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

I have a King Cobra clutch

I run an X303 cam with 224/224 duration and .542 @ .050

The carb is running rich, but the plugs arent fouling out and look healthy enough to me. I get a LITTLE bit of a stutter at LIGHT throttle at 12-1800 rpm though, on a normal launch/over 20% gas, it does great through, I think its just running a bit rich until the secondaries fully open or something, I dunno, I see no reason to change anything, its just easier to bog than EFI.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Banned

after 250 miles of "spirited driving" I have used NO OIL! With the EFI (PCV in teh rear of the intake manifold above lifter valley) I would have been a centimeter low on the dipstick by now. Awesome, The only drawback is a bit of low rpm part throttle lag, but that goes away after 20% throttle. Dunno, I can live with it, it doesnt hamper a launch as I roasted the meats for 50 feet without trying (kinda babied it, launched just off an idle slipping the clutch for a split second, it stayed spinning at 80% throttle until about 5500 or so when it finally hooked because I let off. All togather 100% pleased. It got rid of the dreaded 5.0 cammed idle surge idles steady at around 1K
Old 06-10-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

I have a feeling most of the power differences can be attributed to the intake manifold/throttle body rather than jist the switch to carb. A real comparison would be the same intake manifold but one with a throttle body and one with a carb.

If the carb works better through stick with it though.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

I went from a typhoon intake (EFI version of the RPM performer I have now, but by professional Products) as well as a 70MM TB and a 75 MM Pro M MAF. I am comparing apples/apples
Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Banned

PS, im selling my entire EFI setup, its good for about 400hp NA or so. 24# injectors with full support mods.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

how much for just the 24s?
maybe the tb too?

was your typhoon cleaned up btw?