LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

maintaince day

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintaince day

I have tomorrow off. I am gonna do a driverside header gasket, and fuel filter. I only have 2500miles on this oil change so seafoam isn't gonna happen. I am looking for cheap things to do to my car...

I thought about plugs, but good god that seems like too much work right now.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

tranny fluid, fuel filter, rotate tires, bleed brakes, flush coolent, change rear end fluid(get friction modifier from dealer $8.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

do I have to wait x amount of miles before a oil change with sea foam?

I was thinking about this

Get up, go to autozone, get

Fuel filter
4qt's Mobil 1 10w30 Syn
1qt Lucas Oil Stabilizer
2 cans of sea foam
Header Gasket
8 NGK plugs * what ones? *

Coming home, eating while the motor cools, going out bleeding the pressure outta the fuel system, changing the filter, dumping 1/2 can of sea foam into my tank, the rest into the crank case, and then sucking what ever I can into the brake booster line * procedure would be nice? * and then taking the car out for a spin.I have 1/4 tank of gas, so I could take it over across the bridge into IA, and fill up with that cheap IA 93 oct ( 2.70 usually ) and then go over to the garage, change my oil, come back home, let it cool for about a hour or so, Dive into that driverside header gasket, while im at it get to the driverside plugs, get that side all tied up, then slide to the other side of the car and go for number 8, then the rest of that side...

Think I could get it done in a day? I hear sea foam ***** up plugs but I also heard you should wait a while longer than what I described to change the oil.. would I be safe sea foaming and replacing the plugs right way ( 50 miles after the foaming at tops ) and leaving the oil change for another day?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its best to let seafoam sit for awhile, some people leave it over night. So once you seafoam it (just disconnect the brake booster line and let the motor drink up) do everything else you wanted to, then start her up, let it smoke for about 10-15 mins, then take that drive to IA.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Think this will help my hard starting problem? My car runs good once running, but she doesn't fire right off, it cranks over a few times before it fires...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

for the plugs: NGK TR-55, you want the gap corresponding to stock heat range.

Also, I wouldn't do the Lucas, it was independently tested and didn't perform too well.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Just get 5 quarts of whatever the cheapest 5w-30/10w-30 (based on heat range) is, or synthetic if you really really want to. personally i just run the cheap 5w-30 that I get for free in all my vehicles, never ever had a problem. I change my oil around 2500 (im just ****) and it's usually decently dirty - so I know it's doing it's job.

You can easily do all of that in a day, but just a forewarning, if you're doing plugs you might as well do the wires if they're as old. I used AC Delco wires last time (120 bucks) and ac delco plugs (like 13 dollars). Headers make this job WAY easier.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I have MSD's. I Also have ngk plugs, but only on the driver side..

Well I just got done brushing my teeth, Im gonna run over to autozone, and get some ****, eat then come back and start in on it all.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

My car died as soon as I pulled the brake booster line, also that line looks TOO big to fit in the sea foam can. I poured a bit threw the line, re connected it, pured some into the crank, and then the rest of that can into the tank. I still have 1 whole can, but IDK what Im gonna do about the car dieing after removing that line. I tried starting it back up, but it died right away. weird.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

It died because you created a HUGE vaccum leak. Pinch that hose a bit when you take it off and that will help it not die.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I have MSD's. I Also have ngk plugs, but only on the driver side..

Well I just got done brushing my teeth, Im gonna run over to autozone, and get some ****, eat then come back and start in on it all.
hahaha when i did my plugs a year ago i did the driver ide and then saw the pass side and said hell know ...i didnt change them till i did header install

Last edited by skatinjay27; 06-13-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

lol yea, I got headers so no problem there.

I got the car to stay running by plugging the hose with my thumb. I then set the can of seafoam close to it, and left a tiny bit of the hose loose, and it sucked the seafoam out of the can, from about a inch from the top of the can, I heard the motor start to die so I let it go, and let it idle up. I got most of that can in there, so I got about 1 can in the intake, half in the crank, and half in the tank. I let it sit for 15 mins, started it, took for EVER, finaly started and backfired and blew a bunch of smoke, I reved her up a bit and then let it sit while I pumped up the tires. After that got out on the interstate and gave her some 1-2-3-4 pulls, some compression brakeing, and then headed over for a fill up... I felt like such a weirdo with my car smokeing so much, but the smoking has stoped and it runs great. The car idles better, and what I really noticed was the 6th gear 55-90 mph range was a lot smoother, You can still tell the car is out of its power band, but 55 in sixth used to be DEAD, now its alive and kicking! Thanks sea foam. Im letting the car cool now then Im gonna go release the pressure from the fuel system, and do the filter
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Fuel filter is done, moved on the the header gaskets, noticed a few bolts were loose on the passanger side, went to tighten them, the threads are stripped out. So I have posted on a local forum asking for some assistance, IDK what's gonna happen... Prolly gonna end up having to pull the heads off and drill/tap/helicoil them.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I also found this weird deal. wtf is with that pipe way behind number 8??

Old 06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you still have emissions hook ups the pipe is the egr connection between the header and the back of the intake manifold.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I have !AIR, but I think EGR is still hooked up, Im not sure though, it looks like that could cause a leak?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

that's your EGR tube.

Yes it will cause a leak if you don't have the gasket in it (along with a bolt of course).
Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

I'm doing both my header gaskets sometime this week, and I know one of my bolts on the drivers side is crossthreaded, I could only get it in a few threads last time I had the headers off, so I am looking forward to my fun also, lol. But I am also doing plugs while I have the headers off and out of my way. Keep us informed about what you find out what you can do about those stripped bolts in case I cant tap mine out.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Im gonna run a bottom tap in and clean the threads up and use a longer bolt.

Quick Reply: maintaince day