Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep PCV /w catch can or go with a breather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep PCV /w catch can or go with a breather?

2002 Z28 with milled AFR 205's, G5X3 cam, and full bolt ons. I did a search, and couldnt find any answers to my "specific" questions.

What would you folks do? In order to keep oil out of the intake would you just use a catch can and keep the PCV system in tact, or would you just remove the PCV system, and use some breathers?

My car is a daily driver, and I've heard that deleting the PCV and using breathers might eventually cause problems. I'd like the look of it, but I dont want any problems. I'm also wondering if doing this might throw off my tune at all. Basically, I'm not sure if this would be a safe option on a H/C daily driver. What are you guys doing? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS6 valley cover + truck PCV valve + catchcan is a good setup if your car doesn't have much blowby on the rings. I recently yanked my PCV/catchcan setup for a Metco breather, but I have 120k miles on the car and it was blowing oil into the intake manifold AND the fresh air tube.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the PCV on a street driven car. Itll keep the oil alive longer.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went breather b/c i sucked way too much oil in new FAST manifold. Breather looks sweet and i did all of Power Tour with no problems. Change your oil frequently and you should be cool.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by STRIPSTAR
I just went breather b/c i sucked way too much oil in new FAST manifold. Breather looks sweet and i did all of Power Tour with no problems. Change your oil frequently and you should be cool.

Whats frequently??? every 3000 miles? because i was thinking of going with a breather too
Old 06-14-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
Whats frequently??? every 3000 miles? because i was thinking of going with a breather too
Id cut the oil life in atleast half. 1500 for regular oil, and 3000 for syntheitc.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all of your input so far, folks.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

well 3000 miles is when i change my synthetic motor oil anyway so i guess i have nothin to worry about with my breather setup.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Id cut the oil life in atleast half. 1500 for regular oil, and 3000 for syntheitc.
Note to self: Change oil this weekend.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

I hate this...I'm still up in the air as to what I should do. Are there any serious down sides to removing the PCV system?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Nope no serious downsides, thats how many high performance engines have been running since the beginning of engines. It cleans up the engine bay and you can add alittle bling to it with a breather.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crankcase EVAC system. Will hold a racquetball on the end of the hoe with super vacuum.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
Nope no serious downsides, thats how many high performance engines have been running since the beginning of engines. It cleans up the engine bay and you can add alittle bling to it with a breather.

So let me get this right...You are pulling the ENTIRE PCV system off and going to breathers?

Shahram
Old 06-15-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

i still have some sort of a PCV system, the two nipples that are on the back of the drivers and passenger side valve covers i have a 3/8 inch hose running from one to the other to keep circulation, and i also have the front PCV line goin to the throttle body still connected only i have a breather on the oil filler neck and no PCV valve.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Heres my setup: LS6 PCV Valley Cover, LS6 PCV system, Husky Catch-Can (Home Depot!), and then I have a K&N Breather on the passenger Valve-cover. I believe my crankcase is pretty well ventilated, the only reason I added the catch-can is because I was still getting some oil in the fresh air tube. I have been thinking about eliminating my PCV system all together, but have decided against it.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Just developed my PCV setup with the shop thats doin my heads/cam last night. We decided to go with a metco breather on the passengers side on the front of the valvecover that goes where the fill cap is (avail. from thunder), a k&n dinky breather on the back of the drivers side, and a pep boys special ricer breather with a hose fitting going into it for the passengers side rear (both dinky breathers will be hidden). Everything else will be pulled off. Should be plenty of airflow and make for zero oil consumption...and look pretty good too.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by RM99Z
Just developed my PCV setup with the shop thats doin my heads/cam last night. We decided to go with a metco breather on the passengers side on the front of the valvecover that goes where the fill cap is (avail. from thunder), a k&n dinky breather on the back of the drivers side, and a pep boys special ricer breather with a hose fitting going into it for the passengers side rear (both dinky breathers will be hidden). Everything else will be pulled off. Should be plenty of airflow and make for zero oil consumption...and look pretty good too.
If one Metco breather on the front of the motor doesn't flow enough, you've got some serious problems. The only problem with the breathers in the back is that when you nail it, anything back that way tends to fly toward those little filters. This design is part of the reason stock PCV systems suck so much oil in.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If one Metco breather on the front of the motor doesn't flow enough, you've got some serious problems. The only problem with the breathers in the back is that when you nail it, anything back that way tends to fly toward those little filters. This design is part of the reason stock PCV systems suck so much oil in.
Ah..didnt think of that. So instead of running the 2 smaller ones in the back I should do what the other guy mentioned and run a piece of hose connecting the 2 sides together to equalize the pressure that way? Let me know here, I'm still new to this pcv system on my 99.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by RM99Z
Ah..didnt think of that. So instead of running the 2 smaller ones in the back I should do what the other guy mentioned and run a piece of hose connecting the 2 sides together to equalize the pressure that way? Let me know here, I'm still new to this pcv system on my 99.
Yes, that would be a great setup. Right now I have my rear ports on the valve covers capped off, but I may connect them this weekend, didn't think about it at the time.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The vents in the rear don't have to be connected together to equalize the sides of the motor. There are straight-through passages inside the block. I ran for a little while with the rears capped off and just recently connected the two lines in the back with a short peice of hose just to make a clean install.

I use one Metco filter on the filler neck and it works great. I have capped off and removed every other part of the PCV system.