Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most hp in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most hp in CA?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of getting a LS1 Camaro but I live in CA. How can I get the most hp out of an LS1 Camaro but still staying smog legal in CA? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forced Induction or large shot of nitrous on a forged bottom end.

How much money are you looking to spend?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:11 AM
FormerVendor

By forced induction, do you mean ram air or supercharger? I would like to spend ~3K including labor. How much would a forged bottom end cost? I would rather it be actual engine power and not bottle fed... Thanks for your help so far!

Last edited by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS; 06-18-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:45 AM
9 Second Club

I dont know but after I read this I am glad I dont live in Cali!

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Unmodified Subaru looks modifiedPolice in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the California Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a late sixties bigblock and be done with it.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default hmm never going to cali...

thats just total bs.. hope it doesnt spread to other states nj already has enough bs laws... but cops dont bother people here unless they think one of your " rear tail lights are out" but officer wich one is the rear tailight?" damn boy your steering wheel on the right side? i dont think its soposed to be on the drivers side like that?"
Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

3k...lol...that isn't nearly enough money. the sts kit has a carb number and that is a good 420whp with a tune. anymore than that and you'd need a fmic. the kit is 4k for the base kit and then you need a tune. Maybe you should buy the car and get used to it before you start asking for more power. how do you want it to be fast...q/m et? or do you want to trap high, cause you could o lot sof suspension work..a built rear and some sticky tires should get you deep deep into the 12s if you can drive. what are your goals for the car?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you can have nitrous on a street car in cali either. The only way you might get away with that is if the whole system is completly hidden. Turbo or Super charger with C.A.R.B number are about the only BIG mods you can make to an fbody and still get by in cali. Lots of small mods I'm sure.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Who cares, slap w/e you want in it and cross your fingers

I hear ya man, im in cali, but im about a 100miles from sac (Thank God) EVen though those rules are spredding to the bay area as well. I also read somewhere that every state will be fallowing all the smog requirements of california in the near future- SO DONT THINK OF RUNNING!!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

After just reading what JMBLOWNWS6 posted, I think you just should move out of California and then you can do what you want. In South Carolina, there is no sort of emission testing at all and the police don't usually bother anyone for modifications. I've actually told a police officer once that my car doesn't have cats on it. He didn't do anything.

To answer your question; I don't think there is much you can do to pass "the laws" and go faster for 3k. There are some camshafts designed to work with stock manifolds, but I don't know if they'll pass emissions. You might want to save up some more money and just go with forced induction. I believe STS and Procharger both have kits that are 50 state legal. And with STS you'll look almost completely stock under hood.

Last edited by HeapaShifter; 06-18-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

I live in SD, but am moving at the end of the year. Ill miss it, but not the BS laws on modded cars. Im fm TX and still run TX plates, I know alot of guys out here. A few run h/c and full bolt ons, s/c and nitrous...it just depends on the setup and how loud your exhaust is
Old 06-18-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

btw, i cant wait till i can get 93 octane again
Old 06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

By forced induction, do you mean ram air or supercharger? I would like to spend ~3K including labor. How much would a forged bottom end cost? I would rather it be actual engine power and not bottle fed... Thanks for your help so far!
FI (forced induction) as in blower or turbo. Ram air isnt related. $3k with labor wont even get you started. Not even a new properly installed sts kit can be done for that much after you consider tune, guages, and extras. A forged bottom end is going to cost another $3500-6000 depending on what route you take.

And by actual engine power do you mean naturally aspirated? Like someone already mentioned, it sounds like you might wanna start with a few bolt ons and see how you like the car. The best thing to do that im sure everyone on here will recommend is SEARCH. spend a few hours a day searching around, reading testimonials on kits/setups, and start learning about these cars. In no time youll be speakin fbod language.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I don't think you can have nitrous on a street car in cali either. The only way you might get away with that is if the whole system is completly hidden. Turbo or Super charger with C.A.R.B number are about the only BIG mods you can make to an fbody and still get by in cali. Lots of small mods I'm sure.
sounds like nitro dave's moneymaker system FTW
Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do that is legal. Nitrous kits are not legal, unless they have a CARB number on them. The only CARB legal FI kits that I know of are the STS turbo and the Procharger P1SC. However, most FI kits require an upgrade of the fuel system, which again is not legal, unless CARB certified(never seen one). Tuning is also not legal, again unless CARB certified. You can do a forged bottom end or a stroker. They may not be legal but the smog people have no way of knowing what's inside the engine. All of the laws do limit an LS1's horsepower in CA, and I'd say it's around 450rwhp when COMPLETELY CARB legal.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ringram
Get a late sixties bigblock and be done with it.
Thats the best solution right there.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

get the hell out of california..thats what i would do..
Old 06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Launching!

That show DRAGNET was such a lie... it was just used to scare people
Old 06-18-2006, 09:43 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS; 06-18-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dirt_track_racer_81
get the hell out of california..thats what i would do..

For the reasons listed in this thread and many, many, many more. Move to the United States.