Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual: sound vs flow

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual: sound vs flow

Hey I'm thinkin about a true dual system from texas speed but i got a few questions first. One has anyone had this or have this and wanna let me know how the ground clearence is? I've seen sum pretty ugly td's with very little ground clearence and im paranoid about all the speed bumps around here in the burbs.

Also the biggest thing. What are your guys twocents about sound vs. flow on
1) Moroso Spiral Flows
2) Sweet Thunders
3) Dynomax Bullets
Old 06-19-2006, 12:06 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With enough money and time, any duals can fit right.

The bullets will flow the most and be the loudest. ST's will be next in line for loudness, spiral flows will be the "least loud". I say least loud because they are all freaking loud compared to most stuff, but the spiral flows will be the quietest of the flock. As for flow, I'm not sure which will flow better between the ST's and the spiral flows. The ST's are 3" OD the whole way, wich a bunch of protrusions to disrupt the flow and "muffle" the sound. The spiral flows have what looks like an auger inside, but they open up to 4".

Do a search and you'll find all this information and more.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ST flow better then the spirals and are a good choice for sound quaility and flow. but yif you just want it loud as hell and the best flow get teh bullets. i have the texas-speed duals with the ST and love them. although the 3" pipes due cut ground clearance a good bit. but im sure if you can get an exhaust shop to do the install they can try to tuck it up a little for you.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

the flow rate wont bother anyone unless the car is making some killer power. I've heard the sweet thunders and they are amazing, it's hard to describe the sound. They rumble like a muscle car when cruising and idling, but scream like a refined sports car up top.
</font></p>
Old 06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input guys. yea i havent heard ANYTHIN bad about the ST yet but Im looking for more of a deep sound as opposed to rasp, i cant stand that. I dunno how the ST sound tho...are they deep?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my magnaflow 4x9s are pretty deep, until you stand on it...then the exhaust note gets kind of tingy, not raspy.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RiPPinZ11
thanks for the input guys. yea i havent heard ANYTHIN bad about the ST yet but Im looking for more of a deep sound as opposed to rasp, i cant stand that. I dunno how the ST sound tho...are they deep?
The way it was explained to me was that the ST's sound most like the GMMG exhaust if you have ever heard it........
Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Try using Flowmaster 1-chambers if you want deep, and not raspy
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Try using Flowmaster 1-chambers if you want deep, and not raspy
another vote for flowmaster single chambers.

does anyone use the texas speed duals? practically half this site does! search, man, search!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just got my TSP true dual with sweet thunders today. and yes the sweet thunders have baffles inside but thats part of the great sound. you will need to be pushing WAY WAY more hp than a stock ls1 to ever see a diff in power in the mufflers.

id guess you would have to be pushing 600+ rwhp and i still doubt their would be a difference.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RiPPinZ11
I have the dual set up with dynomax bullets, the only real time there is rasp is when the you let go of the throttle suddenly from high rpm rev. Dynomax has those same little bumps inside but it is pretty straight through flow.

I have heard people using Magnaflow 4" bullets and say they sound better. And from what I have been told they are kinda like SLP resonator. but I am not sure.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

I have TSP TDs with Dynomax bullets, and I LOVE them! I got them to tuck up real nice and close to the body. The lowest part is the L-1 pipe, which is only a half inch lower than the stock y-pipe was. The install was alot easier than I expected it to be also. TSP says that this system is a direct fit for Pacesetters and Hooker LTs. I was told that since I have Kooks LTs I would need to do some minor work to the pipes to make it work, but that wasnt the case. They fit perfectly together as if the duals were made for the Kooks.

As for the sound, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've heard the sweet thunders in person and didnt like them at all. IMO (as well as a few friends) they sounded deep but they sounded "choppy", "crackly" and not at all refined, not what I was looking for. The bullets on the other hand have a deep, muscular sound that is crisp and clear. I was actually suprised with the bullets b/c they are pretty tame just driving around town. But once you go WOT, lol well a few things come to mind ---->

After hearing the bullets in audio clips and in person, I'm with the many other members that feel the clips just don't do them any justice. You have to hear them in person to appreciate the sound.

Now for performance, let me just say WOW! The LTs and TDs woke the car up! It pulls ALOT harder than it did before with just a lid, CAI, and LM. And FWIW my car was no slouch either, I was running consistant 12.9s @ 108 -109 in the 1/4 with that setup.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the Kooks & TSP TDs. Great clearance, fitment, sound and performance.

All this info is based off of my opinions and experiences so take it as you will. If its possible, try to hear the different setups in person to help make your decision. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose to get.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID

Now for performance, let me just say WOW! The LTs and TDs woke the car up! It pulls ALOT harder than it did before with just a lid, CAI, and LM. And FWIW my car was no slouch either, I was running consistant 12.9s @ 108 -109 in the 1/4 with that setup.
What do you run now with the LTs and TDs?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK85
What do you run now with the LTs and TDs?
I haven't been to the track yet with the new mods, I just installed them a few days ago. I'll post up the new times when I go.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a picture of my clearence with the TSP duals. Not bad at all in my opinion. I have not had any trouble with speed bumps or anything else around town. Keep in my mind that my car is not lowered.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/291448-true-dual-pic.html

As for the mufflers I have dynomax bullets. I have not heard the other two in person, but it really comes down to your preference anyways. I like the bullets sound, on a stalled daily driver though they are very loud. It is not unbearable by any means, but it is definitely loud. I have kept them the past year and a half, longer than any other exhaust setup of mine and plan on keeping it. I would try and go listen to each setup if possible, yes they may flow a little different, but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

As for fitment, I got my duals up really high, about 1/4 inch from the floor. I just welded them to a metal spot down there in the tunnel area. You cant even really see my duals without getting down to look.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=ChocoTaco369]another vote for flowmaster single chambers.

i hear they are deep as well...but doesnt flowmaster have a reputation for flowing like ****
Old 06-21-2006, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
As for fitment, I got my duals up really high, about 1/4 inch from the floor. I just welded them to a metal spot down there in the tunnel area. You cant even really see my duals without getting down to look.
do u have pictures of that or no? i would like to see that it sounds like a good idea
Old 06-21-2006, 01:15 AM
That's what she said...

I have some pics of mine without the extensions as well, link in sig. I had to bash the driverside bullet in to make it ride inside the tunnel. My car is lowered about 3/4-1" in the rear also.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=RiPPinZ11]
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

i hear they are deep as well...but doesnt flowmaster have a reputation for flowing like ****

You're thinking of the mufflers that are on the catback systems which is true, they flow like ****. The 1-chambers for the TD setups flow just fine(I saw flowcharts online but I can't find them now)