Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with longtubes come in please..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default People with longtubes come in please..

Got a 99 TA with Jet-Hot long tube headers and borla exhaust. I have O2 sims, but they don't seem to be doing anything for the SES light. I used my friends O2 sims (not sure if that matters or not) that he ran on his 99 TA. My car ran like complete ****, idling rough, didn't accelerate on command(took a few moments to finally kick in), so the car was bad. Took the O2 sims off and its perfect now. Basically its inspection time and I need something to take the SES light off and I can get it inspected by a friend of mine. Any ideas on what to do in this situation?? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you simulated that right O2 sensors? The car would only run like that if you plugged them into the front O2 sensor. Remember, the rear O2 on the passenger side is pretty far back! When the cats are off, it's easy to confuse the back one for the front.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

using sims or not using any at all will not make the car run bad..only a light will come on.SES....they just tell the 'puter if the cats are still good or not.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 06-26-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
usind sims or not using any at all will not make the car run bad..only a light will come on.SES....they just tell the 'puter if the cats are still good or not.
This is the exact reason why I stated that you probably "simmed" the wrong O2 sensor.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

You probably have it in your front 02 sensors
Old 06-26-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

tune out the rear o2's and dump the stims.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading any current/stored codes will tell you what happened.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

After I put my LT's and ORY on, I went to a tuner and let them delete the rear O2's. No SES light and the car runs great.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree you probably have them hooked up to the wrong sensors.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
I agree you probably have them hooked up to the wrong sensors.
X2 they should be in the 02 sensors that were the closest to the BACK of the car.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Sounds like that's the problem then. Thank you for your input everyone. I'll try that. Peolple on this site are smart!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Tuning out your rear 02's will get rid of your SES light but won't help you pass emmissions, when they plug in the scan tool they aren't just looking for codes, they are also checking to see if your car is running the self tests on the emmission devices, by tuning out the rear 02's the car will not run the test for the converters and that will show up during the emmssions scan because the monitor for your converter will not be set. Up to a certain year they do allow some of the monitors to not be set, however the converters and rear 02's are not one of those monitors, if they aren't set you will fail. If you want to pass with your long tubes you have to run SIM's for your rear 02's this will still allow the ECM to run it's test because you are basically simulating a signal from a good converter. Also if you have your codes reset, make sure you give your car about a week to run through all of the tests to make sure your monitors are set, or you can set them your self but you will need to go on a road test with a scan tool.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by YEV33
Tuning out your rear 02's will get rid of your SES light but won't help you pass emmissions, when they plug in the scan tool they aren't just looking for codes, they are also checking to see if your car is running the self tests on the emmission devices, by tuning out the rear 02's the car will not run the test for the converters and that will show up during the emmssions scan because the monitor for your converter will not be set. Up to a certain year they do allow some of the monitors to not be set, however the converters and rear 02's are not one of those monitors, if they aren't set you will fail. If you want to pass with your long tubes you have to run SIM's for your rear 02's this will still allow the ECM to run it's test because you are basically simulating a signal from a good converter. Also if you have your codes reset, make sure you give your car about a week to run through all of the tests to make sure your monitors are set, or you can set them your self but you will need to go on a road test with a scan tool.
Thanks..I was wondering if having sims would show up on OBDII testing..I plan to put cats on before, but I wasn't going to bother hooking up the 02's.....
Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

You have to run either rear 02's or SIM's, if you are putting your stock cats back on and they are functional just use your stock rear 02's, but you have to run one of the two or you won't pass emmissions, the ECM uses the rear 02's to verify converter operation, running a converter without rear 02's or SIM's will do nothing to help you pass the OBDII test. Also make sure that the rear 02's are not tuned out before you take emmissions. Nobody will know you are running SIM's unless they actually look underneath the car and know what they are looking for.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Launching!

try getting some 02s from a vette (97-03) for the fronts and connect the 02 sims to the rear, but make sure you connect the sims to the rear and not the front.