Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts W/ Fmic

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sts W/ Fmic

Are any of you guys running FMIC with your STS turbo. If so what size and what kinda IAT drops did you see?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, from the begining. you can expect a good 50+ degree drop using the fmic vs no fmic.

I am using the obx 3" and my cruising temps are at ambient and short blasts into boost temps either stay the same, at times actually drop a degree or two, or on warmer days rise a degree or two.

it's well well worth it to get a fmic
Old 06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Texas Rear Turbos....that is all you need
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bankz27
Texas Rear Turbos....that is all you need
is there website down? could someone link it up here please, having issues of some sort
Old 06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I'm running a GT-67 STS with a front mount and methanol injection. 9.5 #s of boost.

22 degrees BELOW ambient during a 1/4 mile run. If you don't have a front mount and you don't have methanol, my opinion is to install a methanol kit. Your intake pipe is built in intercooler for starters.

What is your problem exactly? High IATs? How high?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
is there website down? could someone link it up here please, having issues of some sort
Its up for me, but some people have a hard time bringing it up. I think because we have a media player that starts with it. I guess I need to ditch the AC/DC.
Shoot me an email or p.m. and I will fill you in on the fmic.
email
Prefer the intercooler for most people. Its always there; nothing to refill. If you are going a little more extreme, then both.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Ditch the ac/dc its still not up...been like that for a couple of days now
Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should ditch it.

nothing more annoying than a website that starts blaring music at ya.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Launching!

My iats dropped from 40-60degrees, which enabled me to boost 10psi on 91 with decent timing.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

edz06 - check my sig for details. i was just trying to lower my iat. after a 1/4 mile run it get to about 140-150 outside temp about 90 or so here in florida's humidity. but the only problem is i dont want to cut up the front of my car. i dont mind removing the front bird license plate and opening that hole up. but i dont want to cut any more holes. also i want to try to keep the fog lights. trying to keep a stock look
Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most just open up the hold behind the bird and it works fine.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruchillws6
Are any of you guys running FMIC with your STS turbo. If so what size and what kinda IAT drops did you see?
I don't have an exact temp for you, but it was A LOT. Using the TRTturbo FMIC. Went from grabbing the intake pipe leading into the throttle body and having it too hot to hold for more than 1-2 seconds to the intake pipe is warm, but not too hot to hold for in your hand. This is after several WOT blasts or during extended city driving. A claim of 40-50 degrees Farenheit would be totally believable.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Teching In

edz06 - check my sig for details. i was just trying to lower my iat. after a 1/4 mile run it get to about 140-150 outside temp about 90 or so here in florida's humidity. but the only problem is i dont want to cut up the front of my car. i dont mind removing the front bird license plate and opening that hole up. but i dont want to cut any more holes. also i want to try to keep the fog lights. trying to keep a stock look
Just noticed your sig.

Are you running straight meth or a 50/50 mix? Have you tried iether increasing your jet size or running dual jets?

Are you using a progressive controller?

Sounds like you could use more meth at high boost levels.

Last edited by edgz06; 06-29-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

edzo6- i got the meth kit from sts. i belive i am running the large nozzle. also running straight meth no water. the only time i use the meth is at the track. i am not sure about the progressive thing. i know i comes on when its above 5psi. but i was just wanting something like an intercooler that is always working.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

FMIC is the way to go.. I have a 3" in mine now... going to a 4" with my new setup. Love what it does for my setup.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Teching In

edzo6- i got the meth kit from sts. i belive i am running the large nozzle. also running straight meth no water. the only time i use the meth is at the track. i am not sure about the progressive thing. i know i comes on when its above 5psi. but i was just wanting something like an intercooler that is always working.

I actually don't use the STS kit, we are a dealer for www.coolingmist.com I like having a stock of all different nozzles, fittings, etc. and their Vari-Cool progressive controller is a great piece that allows for precise tuning.

Anyway, I definitely think you should get the intercooler, especially if you don't use the methanol on the street.

Why don't you use the meth on the street anyways?

Do you have a seperate tune that you load in for the track because if you don't, your going to be way rich by adding straight methanol to an existing tune. If your tune is set for 11.7 AFR at WOT and you then spray meth without pulling fuel, you AFR would be down aroun 10.0 depending on the size of the jet. That's to rich for making power.

Ed
Old 07-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

edgzo6- yes i have a predator programmer so i have 2 tunes one for the street and one for the track. so i am good there. but first i have to solve my driveablity isssue. when i am cruise at slower speeds around 25-30 mph the car wants to buck almost like it is missing. well i took it in to get some more tuning done to see if i could get it straighten out. i think we have narrowed it down. the guy it took it to for the tuning said to check my plugs. i am getting wet oil out of the tailpipe and some smoke at 8psi of boost it didnt do it a 5 psi. when it it was being run on the dyno we took the air filter off. it was in the way of strapping it down. he thinks it might be the oil seal on the turbo so i have to check that. but he thought the oil could be getting back to the front and getting on the maf or causing a miss so i may have a fauled plug. but i am going to check that out tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the check valve to make sure it isnt dripping oil into the turbo as it sits.
Make sure the sock is off during WOT runs. It doesnt flow well and can draw oil into the turbo.
Check and make sure the pump is turning on high under boost.
Do check the plugs and make sure the gap is right; .030
Old 07-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

trtturbo- thanks for the suggestions. here is the thing. the car always ran fine at 5psi on the street dont run 8psi very much unless at the track. on saturday at the dyno shop we made 5-6 pulls at 5psi not problems. flip the switch for high boost 8psi and after first pull noticed smoke coming from the exhaust. also tail pipe had fresh oil in it. also during all the dyno tuning we had the air filter off. the oil pump seems to be working. i hear it running also no buzzer coming on.( i know the buzzer works had a wire fall on the exhaust and melt set off buzzer. i havent had a chance to get under the car yet a check anything. but i can say the oil has cleared up after driving around on sunday and back and forth to work today. no smoking and no oil in the tailpipe. running at 5psi got on it a few times to make sure. any suggestion?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can hear the pump running, but is it turning on high when you get in boost?
At times on the dyno, we see a little smoke, but usually no oil from the tail pipe.
If the car sits for a day or two do you have any issue with oil?
One more thing. We have seen intermittant contact where the t-tap is on the harness to the pcm. We always soder it in now and dont use the t-tap. Just something I thought of.

Quick Reply: Sts W/ Fmic