Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running like crap after LT install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default running like crap after LT install?

So i finally put my pacesetter longtube headers on. After a day of putting the bitches in, i take it to a muffler shop with open headers. I didn't notice anything because i was driving under 1500rpm with a feather on the gas. After i get everything welded on, 02 sensors put in. I take off, and notice my temperature guage not working at all. Also, there is a lot of hesitation and backfire. I did not put the EGRs on, nor the other one, AIR i believe? the ones on the passenger side have block of plates, but i left the driver side open.(i will fix that when i find that damn piece). I also wonder if it could be my spark plugs because i took them off to get clearance for the driver side and they may have gotten dirty? im going to overcheck everything tomorrow. But i was wondering if there is anything else i am overlooking. Any help would be helpfull.

Thanks
-Saad
Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

check all of your spark plugs/wires and make sure you plugged everything back in
Old 06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saad06
So i finally put my pacesetter longtube headers on. After a day of putting the bitches in, i take it to a muffler shop with open headers. I didn't notice anything because i was driving under 1500rpm with a feather on the gas. After i get everything welded on, 02 sensors put in. I take off, and notice my temperature guage not working at all. Also, there is a lot of hesitation and backfire. I did not put the EGRs on, nor the other one, AIR i believe? the ones on the passenger side have block of plates, but i left the driver side open.(i will fix that when i find that damn piece). I also wonder if it could be my spark plugs because i took them off to get clearance for the driver side and they may have gotten dirty? im going to overcheck everything tomorrow. But i was wondering if there is anything else i am overlooking. Any help would be helpfull.

Thanks
-Saad
If you left off one of the block off plates then that's where your problem is coming from most likely. The car doesn't respond well to exhaust leaks.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have close to same issues with my Mac mids.. misfire , vacuum leaks, air tubes dont line up
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Launching!

Make sure you didn't crack one of your spark plugs putting it back in. One little crack in the porcelain and it will misfire like a motherfxxxer. Also make sure all the spark plug wires are plugged all the way in.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saad06

Thanks
-Saad
Please keep us updated. Tell us what you found after figuring it out. I'm getting ready to do an LT install.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i took my plugs and coil packs off..a lot easier that way. i have triple checked my wires and plugs even heard the click on both ends. I am changing my plugs this weekend upgrading to the iridiums instead of copper. then might need a retune. I am gonna also check 02's cause they do have like 76K on them.

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 06-30-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the input guys. i looked everything over, and im pretty sure some of the plugs are gone, also, i am going to put the block off plate back on today, and see what happens. can i run without EGR or AIR?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to get your water temp working as well. Computer needs this for correct tunning. Make sure exhaust system is sealed tight prior to the 1st 02,s and cats.
As for your air-egr you will need to get a re tune. Not only delete SES-fault codes. There will be some cold startup issues with the missing air. And of course to tune for the LT,s installation as well.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check the plugs for tiny barely noticable cracks in the ceramic.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

I was going to suggest changing the plugs, but it looks like you are doing that already. Check the temp. sender in the driver' s side head to make sure the wire isn' t damaged or disconnected.

Good luck. I' m sure you' ll be okay.

GET A TUNE!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

If your temp guage is not working that is a signa that something is wrong with your sender of wiring. This reading is CRITICAL to vehicle performance. Check your connection and sensor. Ive got $50bux, that says this is your problem.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, no coolant sensor, the car'll run like *** if at all! I had a broken plug, slight crack in the porcelain and it ran like HELL. Would idle fine, but as soon as I'd give it gas it'd just break up.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, running back through it, i noticed the temperature sensor was unplugged (DOH!), so i put that back on, one of the plugs next to the dipstick was lose, fixed that, and i just sent the car to a shop to bend the EGR tubes the right way to fit. Hopefully it will be alright

Thanks for all the input, i appreciate it.
-Saad
Old 07-01-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope the shop can fix some of your problems, I thought it was pretty much mandatory to have a good tune after a LT install, that could be your problem unless I missed you having it tuned already somewhere.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn, did not know it was mandatory to tune with only longtubes :-/ i wonder how much it costs..
Old 07-01-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it's different on the LS1's, but I know with LT1's almost everyone gets a tune... might wanna wait for a couple more answers before buying one, but I think you can get them from 150-250 range mail order... check the sponsors :-).
Old 07-01-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

turned out, it was a spark plug, put some bosh platinums in, runs really good.