Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler options for twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Intercooler options for twin turbos

I've found two reasonably priced intercoolers that look like they would suit a twin turbo application fairly well. Both are dual inlet/single outlet units, as I'm not wild about the idea of trying to Y the charge pipes together before the intercooler. The first one is a Treadstone unit that comes to $428 after shipping. The other one is an Extreme Turbo Systems unit that comes to $635 after shipping. I've contacted both companies, and both said they use their own brand of core (i.e. not a Spearco, etc). The Treadstone unit comes w/ a 2 yr warranty, and the ETS unit w/ a lifetime warranty (excluding outside damage from rocks, etc). I know a couple of people on here are using other Treadstone intercoolers, and they've said the quality seems to be really good. Don't know if anyone is using an ETS intercooler. From what I can tell, the ETS unit has a larger core and will flow more air, but it's also physically larger and I'm not sure if there will be fitment issues w/ it being 18" tall. I'm looking for an intercooler that will support ~1000 rwhp, but I'll also be spraying meth which will help to cool the intake charge even further. So I guess my question is this: would the larger ETS intercooler be worth the additional ~$200? I've kinda already ruled out a custom built Bell intercooler or similar b/c I think they start at around $800, and both of these are well under that and can probably still get the job done. Any opinions/experience w/ these intercoolers is appreciated, as well as any other dual inlet/single outlet intercooler options I may not be aware of.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't recomend either, I have a standard griffin 1 inlet 1 outlet A2A on my car and it works just fine, and flows a lot more than most of thoes twin inlet single outlet jobs.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

I just don't like having to run one of the charge pipes all the way back across the engine bay, then make a semi-hard bend to get it flowing in the right direction when it Y's into the other charge pipe. Plus, I'm fabricating this all myself, and I'm not an expert welder (in fact, I don't really even know how to weld yet ) so I think using an intercooler like one of these will be simpler/easier.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The one from Extreme. J.R. will treat you right. We have used quite a few intercoolers from them.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FUroundeye
I just don't like having to run one of the charge pipes all the way back across the engine bay, then make a semi-hard bend to get it flowing in the right direction when it Y's into the other charge pipe. Plus, I'm fabricating this all myself, and I'm not an expert welder (in fact, I don't really even know how to weld yet ) so I think using an intercooler like one of these will be simpler/easier.
When I did mine I was no expert either, the hardest part is cutting the mandrel bends and getting them close enough to weld.

I have a 2 & 1/2 that merges into another 2 & 1/2 into a single 4in piece that we made to get mine done.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Teching In

I just got a Treadstone I/C core just like the one in the auction you linked. I however plan to cut the core in half and weld it with the endtanks on the side and the outlet in the middle plenum. Just like the C6 intercooler from STS. This isn't going to get done any time soon due to lack of time and the complexity of my project. However I can get you some pictures of the core if you like.

Btw this is going on and LS1 that is being installed in an RX7 with twin Mitsubishi EVO turbos. Hopefully I can fit this as a V-Mount intercooler.

Kinda like this but with the inlets on the bottom of the sides and the outlet going right to the t/b.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by terabyte
I just got a Treadstone I/C core just like the one in the auction you linked. I however plan to cut the core in half and weld it with the endtanks on the side and the outlet in the middle plenum. Just like the C6 intercooler from STS. This isn't going to get done any time soon due to lack of time and the complexity of my project. However I can get you some pictures of the core if you like.
Ya, I like the way that looks. That's one advantage to the ETS intercooler, as it exits at the top like that. I just don't know if A) it'll fit being 18" tall, and B) I'll have enough room to run the pipe from the intercooler to the T/B over the top of the radiator if I stand the radiator up a bit.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Coal Mining Director

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/511571-pics-bell-ic-mounted-incons.html

14.5 inches tall was very tight...had to lay it on an angle into the nose of the fascia. I couldn't imagine 18inches.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Launching!

I see what you mean. Guess that answers that question
Old 07-03-2006, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom how much was that intercooler...how much IAT drop?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Coal Mining Director

Twisting the turbos to 16.4psi it dropped the IATs down to 160 at the end of a 1/4 mile run on a 93F day....probably would have been 200F with the baby's....now for the alky.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll certainly let you know my results with no ic on the bigger turbos.

Quick Reply: Intercooler options for twin turbos