Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

An "if you were me"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question An "if you were me"?

i have a 98 v6 bird and a 99 ls1 bird. the 98 is my "beater", has 105,000 miles strong runner, good on gas, drive it all year. the 99 has 71,000 miles on it bought it a year ago with 62k. i love driving the t/a everywhere whenever i can even though the mpg isnt that great. do you guys pay attention to milage alot or just drive what you want. i store the t/a in the winter but my prob is i just want to take it everwhere and i dont know if i should. i dont want to get the miles all friggin high. i was thinking i should just not worry about it and do a rebuild or something when it gets up there. comments..advice?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it, I DD my WS6 in any weather (except ice, I don't get alot of snow down here)I look at like this it's a car and it's meant to be driven, whatever breaks is just an excuse to replace that part(s) with something better, so drive it if you enjoy it, if you don't enjoy driving it, sell it and get something you do enjoy driving
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I stopped worrying about gas mileage a long time ago. I don't drive my 'bird everyday anymore, but I don't hesitate to put miles on the car. I've modded it to enjoy it even more, so the poor mileage/high miles is no longer a concern. I've got over 124,800+ miles on it as of today (I looked during my morning errands).

Between my Silverado & my 'bird, I spend over $300.00 a month on gas. I know I could do better with an economy car, but that's not something I would enjoy driving. I've got two vehicles that I truly enjoy, and I'm not gonna let something little keep me from enjoying them.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Right now in the spring and summer I drive my FB all over the place whenever I have to. Its fun and its not like im going state to state, its a small town so its really not that bad. I also dont have to worry about putting a lot of miles on it that itll crap out, new engine has 30k miles on w/ 85k on the odometer. +In college Ill have to garage it all winter (in NH) cause of my tires.

If you compare it to any truck or other sports car, the T/A and FB have better mileage, and are much more sexier.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're that concerned about money I'd dump the V6 Bird, and buy a nice set of snow tires for your T/A. You'll more than make up the lost gas mpg with the money you get for the V6, and the money you'll save in insurance. You'll always have fun and not be sorry you didn't take it somewhere..and when its worn out, get rid of it and pick up another low mileage T/A. There will be plenty of good low mileage F-bodys out there for a long time. If your T/A had under 10K miles on it I'd think twice about putting tons on it, but since its already closer to the 100K mark than not...what the hell...use it up and throw it away. I'm sure you could get 200K out of it with lots of fun.

Not that I can talk with 3 of them, but you can bet I put 3K miles a month on my 2000 T/A, and it will have snow tires in the winter, its the beater.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

out here in southern california we dont get winter so i get to drive mine all year round
Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

theres no way i would but her through any type of winter weather. she is treated very well but i do take advantage of her power. its not that im in a money crunch at all...i just spent 900 at summit and 500 for tires on the t/a. i just hate seeing that damn odometer go up and up and up. it seems like it goes faster than the odo on my sixer. it is a car and its meant to be driven im all for that so i guess ill just suck it up and drive.

what is you guys' opinion on trading the firebird in for a cobalt ss. i want a stick bad and i think that would be a quick little car? just throwing it out there pry wont happen but a guy can dream.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt worry about the odometer, on either car. The 3800 and LS1 are some of the most reliable high mileage motors to come out of Detroit ever. I have 127K on my TA and I don't even worry about it b/c I maintain it. I don't drive it delicately either, this thing is my DD and toy, so racing is its duty. Since you have a DD and a TA I wouldn't worry about the mileage, especially at 71km the average for most drivers is 12k per year so you are about 13k short of average.

Just take care of her, and fix things that need fixing and you will have a cool car, always.

If you absolutely need a stick, the cobalt wouldn't be a bad choice. Though I could think of cheaper alternatives. If you like it, go for it.

Josh
Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i daily drive my formula its got 95xxx miles on its just as strong as the day i bought it
Old 07-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

I have the same struggle with my '02 Firehawk. I daily drive an LT1 Formula and only drive the 'Hawk maybe 2k miles per year.

After the turbos are installed, I'm sure the miles per year on the Firehawk will go up.

Life is so short, it will be gone in a blink, you might as well drive your V-8 as much as possible (good weather permitting.)

p.s.- What's gas milage?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually put almost 400 miles a week on my car, loved every mile of it. It is only a summer car though.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

I've rolled about 14k on my car since i got it a year or so ago, and I LOVED every second of those miles.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

i plan on getting a beater as i drive 25 miles round trip eachday to class. id really rather just get there and back then tear up my car doing it. also if anyones been to ucf, they know how bad parking is and how narrow spaces are. i really dont are much if a beater get s a ding but if my z28 does...heads will roll...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Cars are meant to driven... drive that car and don't worry about anything..

Quick Reply: An "if you were me"?