Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperMaxx Install...What Else While I'm At It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperMaxx Install...What Else While I'm At It?

Will be installing a Dynatech Supermaxx header set on my 2002 Firehawk Trans Am soon and wanted to know what else is recommended while I'm at it?
Their installation PDF file is very thorough.
At one point, they mention "good time to go ahead and change out plugs and wires if you need them" since the stock manifolds are off. They also mentioned a few other things while all that is out and being replaced.
I'm totally down with the SuperMaxx System after consulting with folks like GMMG, whose exhaust I've been running for 2 years now.
Is there anything else to consider doing while it's up in the air?
Will celebrate it's 5th birthday in October and I'm all for proper maintenance.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the supermaxx with the gmmg,its SICK.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redtail2426
I have the supermaxx with the gmmg,its SICK.
Awesome! Can't wait to hear it now

Did you have any issues as far as install?

Did they mate up nicely to the GMMG exhaust?

I have the SLP Y-Pipe on the car. Should I stay with it or do I have to use the Dynatech Y-Pipe?

As nice as the GMMG sounds, they highly commended this combo for max performance and even more ground-shaking sound
Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Do the poly motor mount while the headers are out.

B
Old 07-03-2006, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

I installed a set on my 01 hawk with manual trans on Saturday. Observations/issues:

I had no problems removing stock system. I sprayed all bolts several times and let soak for an hour. I took a small wire brush to the bolts/studs before going at them and then sprayed some more.

I removed all plugs and wires before removing the manifolds.

When I removed the intermediate pipe from the over the axle pipe I had to cut a slit in it with a grinder. This way it is saved for future use and not beat to crap or twisted.

I placed the O2 sensors in safe place and reinstalled in the same location. A dab of anti-sieze on the threads.

Headers went in with little effort. Driver's side needed a little help and I believe the oil filter, if removed, would have made it easier but I just changed it not long back and did not want remove.

Alignment of the pipes was not too hard. Car was on a lift and I had a buddy. We snugged the cats but not tight. Now, on the manual trans cross member there is a tab or ear (whatever you prefer to call it) with two unused holes that is on the back side. There was NO way the pipe would fit right. I have SLP bolt on sub frame connectors and it was hitting the drivers side and would not go up high enough to clear that tab. I cut it off with a grinder touched up with black spray paint.

I am sure some have done the install with no problem but there was no damed way the driver's side pipe would clear without cutting that tab off.

I installed a Magnaflow system and it went pretty straightforward.

Last edited by big johhny; 07-03-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes cut that little ear off of the tranny crossbrace,you will see what we mean when you get there.And yes use the dynatech ypipe,it will meet up to the gmmg beautifully.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagarr
Do the poly motor mount while the headers are out.

B

Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the advice.
I'm still trying to find someone to install them.
I know it's all so easy, but I'd rather let a pro handle it 'cause I don't have the time or the tools.
What should a typical install cost? I've been told 6 hours labor by one shop...?