Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a new 1/4 mile racer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tips for a new 1/4 mile racer?

I ran at the track today (July 2 2006) and wasn't really that satisfied. I feel my car has more in it. First off, it's an M6. I ran a 13.6 @ 103 with a 2.2 60'. I deflated my tires to 22 psi and launched at 2000 RPM. Still spun out a LITTLE. Any suggestions from anyone who's gotten more out of a stock LS1?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:29 PM
7 Second Club

I'd not be too upset about those times with the 60 foot time you got with a stick car.

Practice is key, and the more you practice the better you'll get on launching and shifting.

Every car is different but I wouldn't drop tire pressure that low on street tires (not including drag radials) because they will start to cup and lose contact patch in the center, thus hindering traction instead of helping it.

I'm not an expert in 6-speed launching but you have a few tenths left in the bank and should be able to get down to a 2.0 60 foot time, and that plus cooler weather should get you in the 13.teens I'd think.

Search around the last few months of threads for tips and you'll find lots of info.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at learning a little clutch "modulation" (that's what I call it, some call it feathering).

I learned it just driving around and doing it stop light to stop light. They best was I can describe what worked best for ME is a controlled-clutch-drop. I would stall my car up usually a little higher than you did, around or just over 2500. When the lights came down (on a blink-blink-blink-green "full" tree) I pull my foot up probably 2/3 of the way off the floor where the clutch grabs PRETTY hard but still has just enough slip in it too keep the RPM's up. I keep the throttle where it is until I hear the RPM's start to climb again (it will be a sort of, bear with me here, a semi-bog, but with the RPM's falling gradually instead of a sudden drop, or the R's may, on the best passes, stay the same until the car get's rolling). As soon as you (a) feel the nose settling back lower or (b) feel the car "catch-up" with the engine, you go to the floor with the throttle and release the clutch fully. With that type launch, my BONE STOCK WS-6 ran a 12.94 @ 106 in not great air with a not-great track surface. My 60' was mid 1.9's on just about any given night I went to the track on true radials and high 1.7's on drag radials.

On DR's I launched the same way but more like 3800 RPM and I would ease into the throttle the whole way instead of waiting for the nose to fall.

As for shifting, just practice, practice, practice. I don't powershift but I don't pull my foot COMPLETELY off the throttle either, just pick it up off the floor enough to slow the RPM's down if I miss. Probably lift a 1/4 out of WOT slap at the clutch and slam it in gear. Do it over and over. I probably make 1000 1/4 mile passes in my car without the ignition being on. Just sit in the car in the driveway and do it over and over. Once you've made a few full 1/4 passes, you can hear it in your head and hit the shifts with the clutch and all. Sounds silly but it's a lot less wear and tear on your car.

Good luck, and, one more time, practice!!!

Taco
Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want the best from a m6,you need a 12 bolt w/some gear and a good sticky tire.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Taco
I would look at learning a little clutch "modulation" (that's what I call it, some call it feathering).

I learned it just driving around and doing it stop light to stop light. They best was I can describe what worked best for ME is a controlled-clutch-drop. I would stall my car up usually a little higher than you did, around or just over 2500. When the lights came down (on a blink-blink-blink-green "full" tree) I pull my foot up probably 2/3 of the way off the floor where the clutch grabs PRETTY hard but still has just enough slip in it too keep the RPM's up. I keep the throttle where it is until I hear the RPM's start to climb again (it will be a sort of, bear with me here, a semi-bog, but with the RPM's falling gradually instead of a sudden drop, or the R's may, on the best passes, stay the same until the car get's rolling). As soon as you (a) feel the nose settling back lower or (b) feel the car "catch-up" with the engine, you go to the floor with the throttle and release the clutch fully. With that type launch, my BONE STOCK WS-6 ran a 12.94 @ 106 in not great air with a not-great track surface. My 60' was mid 1.9's on just about any given night I went to the track on true radials and high 1.7's on drag radials.

On DR's I launched the same way but more like 3800 RPM and I would ease into the throttle the whole way instead of waiting for the nose to fall.

As for shifting, just practice, practice, practice. I don't powershift but I don't pull my foot COMPLETELY off the throttle either, just pick it up off the floor enough to slow the RPM's down if I miss. Probably lift a 1/4 out of WOT slap at the clutch and slam it in gear. Do it over and over. I probably make 1000 1/4 mile passes in my car without the ignition being on. Just sit in the car in the driveway and do it over and over. Once you've made a few full 1/4 passes, you can hear it in your head and hit the shifts with the clutch and all. Sounds silly but it's a lot less wear and tear on your car.

Good luck, and, one more time, practice!!!

Taco

great description printing it off to take to track with me
Old 07-05-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks for the tips guys. I think all I need to do is work on the launch. My shifting is right on target every time (although I don't powershift). I'll try all these different techniques and see which one works best for me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Here's is what always worked for me. Avoid the waterbox, just spin your tires a few times to clean them off. Rev to about 3000 rpms, slip the clutch and when you feel it bite, floorboard it. 1-2 shift 5800 rpms, 2-3 and 3-4 around 6000 rpms. This method always got me consistent 2.0 60ft on RSAs and 13.1@109 with a lid/muffler 02 Z28.You run @ Fayetteville?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I ran for the first time this weekend at Gilliham, LA. I ran a 14.2 and I know my car is a lot faster than that and I can't drive. So it is gonna take a lot of practice. Mods in Sig. Next time I go I have got to at least take 1 sec. off and then maybe I can have a sigh of relief. Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

2002LS1Z, yeah I run in Fayetteville. I'll be there for Freaky Friday on the 7th.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hennesseycpl
great description printing it off to take to track with me
Glad I could help!

If you subscribe to GM Hi Tech Performance mag, Evan J Smith, their (and several other magazines') test driver always has some good tips. He is the guy that got a showroom stock SS to go 12.9's in 90 degree weather for a GMHTP article.

He says to make sure you have the seat upright enough to be comfortable but make sure you can firmly put the shifter into 3rd without having to reach. He also says thinner-soled shoes help with the "feedback" you get from the pedals, especially the clutch.

He has several other good tips, those are the 2 I picked up on and added to my "checklist" to to-do's when racing my T/A. If I remember the others, I will post them up.

Best of luck to all the nOObs, glad to be any little bit of help!
Taco
Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donalr76
I ran for the first time this weekend at Gilliham, LA. I ran a 14.2 and I know my car is a lot faster than that and I can't drive. So it is gonna take a lot of practice. Mods in Sig. Next time I go I have got to at least take 1 sec. off and then maybe I can have a sigh of relief. Thanks for the tips.
By your mods, I would think you should be able to get into the lower 13's.

Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself by setting a definite ET goal.

Just go planning to improve, a second off your ET is a LOT to ask of any car and driver combo!

If you want to set a goal, look at getting your 60's lower first. Concentrate on getting them not only quicker, but consistently quick. Then concentrate on hitting your shifts at the same time, every time. Repetition is where gains are to be made!

Good luck to ya!
Taco