Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly engine and trans mounts are great!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Poly engine and trans mounts are great!

I can't believe I didn't install them earlier! I didn't realize the motor mounts were shot before installing the cam. After the cam, the engine was flopping around like a fish at idle. Pulled the pan to replace the rod bolts with some Katechs, and changed the mounts to Prothane while we were in there. Talk about a HUGE difference! Vibration was not only reduced, it was eliminated and the cam no longer shakes the car either. This is possibly the best < $50 mod out there for a cammed car.

I would recommend replacing them when you have the manifolds/headers off though, definitely don't wait until you have the LTs in place like I did it makes them much harder to reach.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love hearing stuff like this, hopefully people will come across it while searching in the future. I recommend getting poly motor mounts in every "I'm installing headers" thread that I run across. People don't know how easy it is to slap them in there with no headers in place, and how much of a difference they do make, even if they run ONLY the motor mounts.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I'm going to be installing some headers in the coming weeks. Off the top of your heads, who has the best deal on poly motor mounts? PM me if posting certain vendors isn't allowed.

I once installed poly motor mounts on my honda civic. I would have to agree that they are one of the most effective mods for around $50. Being a FWD car, wheelhop was harsh after I supercharged it. The motor mounts eliminated it completely. However, there was ALOT more vibration felt throughout the car at idle. I guess it's different on these cars...everyone says vibration is reduced or eliminated? Regardless, I plan on doing the motor mounts based upon everyone's recommendations and my past experience with them.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine from Thunder Racing. I think everybody has about the same price on the Prothane mounts.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got mine from thunder as well
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
That's what she said...

Another vote for Thunder, they are a great company, and a SPONSOR.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

I have had prothane motor mounts for about a year now and love them. I then added a poly trans mount and absolutely hated it. The vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat was horrible. I delt with it for about a week and then replaced it with a new stock tranny mount.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:30 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by gman
I have had prothane motor mounts for about a year now and love them. I then added a poly trans mount and absolutely hated it. The vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat was horrible. I delt with it for about a week and then replaced it with a new stock tranny mount.
I noticed some vibrations when I later installed a poly trans mount, but I forgot about them after a week or so and never looked back. Some people can't stand them, while others don't mind. My poly trans mount helped my shifting and my wheel hop considerably.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol when i put my headers on a few months back i was like FU** i should of got motor mounts lol. LOL my car is doing eveything you rac was b4 the install! i need them ba too
Old 07-03-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gman
I did tons of searching to figure out why some people said they were fine while others hated them.

The people that say they are hardly noticeable (shaking-wise) have the Energy Suspension Polly Trans mount, which is harder than stock but softer than other polly trans mounts.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

I'll definitely be giving these a shot when I go full exhaust.