Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to track scene help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to track scene help!

i have a 99 c5 coupe. i went to the track last weekend for the first time ever. i did not have my car there so ive still never ran on a track. heres my mods vararam, tsp headers, off road h, zo6 ti catback, .224/.224 581/581 on 112+4, patriot 2 heads with patriot gold double springs, shifter. spec 2+ clutch kit, z06 master and slave cylinders, and ls6 intake. the car dynoed 365rwhp/360 torque before heads and maybe the intake (ls1 possibly on car during that dyno session will know tomorrow)now heres the questions

what can i expect out of my 342 geared rear end with slicks?
any guess on time with medium skill street race driver?
any tips for first time at track?
i know 60 ft is everything to getting a good time so what launch rpm would you guys suggest as a starting point.

thanks for any help
Old 07-05-2006, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hennesseycpl
i have a 99 c5 coupe. i went to the track last weekend for the first time ever. i did not have my car there so ive still never ran on a track. heres my mods vararam, tsp headers, off road h, zo6 ti catback, .224/.224 581/581 on 112+4, patriot 2 heads with patriot gold double springs, shifter. spec 2+ clutch kit, z06 master and slave cylinders, and ls6 intake. the car dynoed 365rwhp/360 torque before heads and maybe the intake (ls1 possibly on car during that dyno session will know tomorrow)now heres the questions

what can i expect out of my 342 geared rear end with slicks?
any guess on time with medium skill street race driver?
any tips for first time at track?
i know 60 ft is everything to getting a good time so what launch rpm would you guys suggest as a starting point.

thanks for any help
Well my friend, I have 3 words for that scenario. Don't Do It. I don't race an IRS suspended car, but have friends who do, and from what I hear from them, the half shafts might be what you should be worried about.

Full slicks?? On a 6 speed car with stock rearend and no upgraded half shafts is a recipe for disaster IMHO. Opinions may vary.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

kinda what i thought would you recomend dr's or just stay on street tires
Old 07-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hennesseycpl
kinda what i thought would you recomend dr's or just stay on street tires
Well, it's your $$$$ and your car, so depending on if you can afford to break things or not, put some DR's on it and don't do any 5000 RPM clutch dumps. The new M/T DR's are just about as sticky as slicks if you heat them up. Maybe you should just do short or no burnouts??

Maybe if you slip the clutch just right on your launch, you can keep from shocking the weak parts enough to break them. You really should invest in some upgraded half shafts before you go to a sticky track with sticky tires. Stick to "roll on racing" from 50 mph until you get the stronger parts would be my suggestion. Good luck.