ordering a Dell laptop

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Choosing the right Dell computer?

Well its time to retire my ancient desktop computer. 850 mghz processor, 256 mb memory, 40 gb hard drive, AMD, Windows 98, 17" HP monitor, etc. That's a huge step up from my old setup. 13" monitor, not even sure on the processor, Windows 95, 128 mb memory, etc. Anyhow, I'd like to purchase a new computer. I thought about going with another desktop, but I think I'd rather have a laptop that way I can take it with me if I ever needed to. So, I was considering getting a Dell. How do I choose the right one, meaning what specs? Here's a rundown on what I'll be doing with it, hopefully it'll narrow my options down:

Prefer 17" monitor
Mostly for internet use
Plan on stepping up to cable/dsl connection, so not sure what I'll need there
Would like wireless connection
CD & DVD burner
Need printer & mouse
Need an anti-virus protection program (current computer didn't have one)
Good on speed as far as internet connection, usage, etc.
Decent amount of memory
Need USB ports for camera, video recorder, etc.
Would also like a good sound system for when its at home as my old setup consisted of 2 small off-brand speakers

All in all, I'm just looking for a computer that's reliable and protected. I say that because I would get booted off the net frequently, lately it wasn't detecting my modem and would have to reboot several times before it did so, slow connection, then just a few days ago, my C drive went out. It won't even boot up anymore. Then not having Norton or similar anti-virus program I'm sure had a lot to do with it. I bet that is why my computer died. So, need help choosing the right features for my new computer. Thanks.

Last edited by Dragaholic; 07-02-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Launching!

First off there is no such thing as the right DELL.

Go with Toshiba ( only my opnion, but I have been selling computers for a while and I have one and love it). Its really hard to reccomend something without some questions. Are you just using it for the internet and like word documents, basic stuff like that? Or do you make movies and edit lots of pictures? Do you plan to travel with it or is it just going to sit on your desk?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Yes, very basic use. Probably 95%+ of my computer's use is for the internet. I sometimes use Microsoft Word and play the basic games. I also use it for uploading/storing pics from my digital camera. I do very little editing. I don't do a lot of traveling, but if I do, I would like to take it with me.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Ok cool.

Something like this is going to be very basic, but also have the ram you need and a dvd burner. you would have to check but it might have the card slot for your digital camera. >>>http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

This one is a really GREAT deal. Gives you the centrino processor that is going to give you longer battery life and makes it lighter. This one has more than enough storage space and has the media card adapter so that you can put the memory card in it from your digital camera>>>http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

So these are just a few examples. these both are capable of high speed internet and have the built in wi-fi ( for the wireless internet). I know that they are not the 17 inch screens but the 17" ones are much more expensive and HEAVY! Ugh i have a 15.4 and its too big for me when i travel with it. really all you need is the celeron processor for what you do but that second one is such a great deal i thought i would show it to you plus its a nice upgrade and its faster. If you have any questions or want more examples pm me.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like neodamonkey stated everyone has their own opinion especially when it comes to Dell computers. People either love them or hate them. My personal opinion is that Dell is by far the best. I have been in the IT industry for almost 10 years now and over time become a loyal dell user. Of all the brands of computers I have worked on over the years I can say without a doubt in my mind that Dell's are the least problematic.

FYI - Last year I deployed close to 500 Dell computers (laptops and desktops) and I was the only tech in the state taking care of all of them. The entire time I was working on that project the ONLY problem I had was having one hard drive fail. I called Dell support and a new drive showed up the next day.

Between everything I have personally seen and the horror stories from other people about other brands I will only deal with Dell computers.

Another plus is the awesome deals you can get through them. I get coupon codes all the time for bad *** deals. PM me if you want info on how to get some coupon codes or have any specific questions about which computer to get.

Like I said earlier, this is just my opinion so you can take it for what it is worth.

Good Luck on your search
Old 07-02-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you get the new centrino chips, preferable the "core duo" which is .65nm which runs cool...
make sure you get a 7200rpm hard drive, the lower rpm drives are slow as hell (raid0 is great)...
get some good ram 2gb would be ideal (get ddr2 667mhz for best performance)
make sure it has good video (like a geforce Go 7900 GS)
dont settle for intel's own graphics driver, cause it sucks.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the dell xps m1710 is a bad biotch
Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, the only Dell computer i would buy would be a notebook computer...i won't buy a Dell (or any other "big-name" manufacturer) pre-built desktop computer system. for desktops, i always build my own.

however, if you are dead-set on a laptop, then by far, you want to get the most powerful computer that is in your price range. why? because for the most part, notebooks are not upgradable, at least to nowhere near the degree desktops are. you will want to get as much life out of your computer as you can so that you don't have to upgrade again as soon. spend a little more money now, and the computer will last you longer. so this means DO NOT get a Celeron-based computer, be sure to get the full-blown Pentium processor (if you go with an Intel-based computer) because it has more on-chip cache than the Celeron, which speeds things up in many cases, and get one with dual cores if it's within your price range.

if you go with an AMD-based computer, either the Athlon X2 or Turion processors are a good choice (i personally like AMD better anyway, so that more or less rules out Dell for me....unless the price is right).

Here's a nice system (with printer included) that it sounds like would fit you rather well, and last you a while. Keep in mind, this is NOT a gaming system, for that, you will want to look elsewhere. it will play some games, but nothing really hardcore, like F.E.A.R. or Battlefield 2 & such. this system will get you online either wired or wireless, let you watch/burn DVD's (on a 17" widescreen LCD), and be good for playing music.: System Summary

the main link to this line of Dell laptops is HERE, in case you want to customize it more/less.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 AM
LS7 Member

Alienware FTW

Dell laptop/desktop is a good choice. With what you want out of a computer you should be able to find one between $500-700(desktop). That includes a legit sound system. If you want to go overboard get any of the XPS systems. As long as you keep up with your computer(defragging, deleting things you dont need, etc.) it should last a long time.

:edit:
lol forgot evo8 was logged in

-TRANSdAMn
Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alienware...lol

If you want the best out there for the least amount of money go to http://newegg.com/ ...their prices are very competitive if not the lowest and you get the namebrand top-of-the-line stuff companies like alienware would sell you for triple the price. Don't be a sucker and pay triple the price because of a 'nifty' case.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

BTW, for those of you who are not aware, Alienware IS Dell now....at least they're owned by Dell, anyway....
Old 07-03-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JurisAg02
Alienware...lol

If you want the best out there for the least amount of money go to http://newegg.com/ ...their prices are very competitive if not the lowest and you get the namebrand top-of-the-line stuff companies like alienware would sell you for triple the price. Don't be a sucker and pay triple the price because of a 'nifty' case.
except for the fact that Newegg doesn't really have much in the way of laptops, which is what the OP seems to be interested in....you're stuck with whatever pre-configured system they happen to be selling at the time, there's no room for customization.

but yes, when talking about desktop computers, i agree wholly....that's where i buy nearly ALL my computer stuff

and also, the Alienware notebooks are actually not TOO bad....take a look at Voodoo PC if you REALLY wanna see overpriced....
Old 07-03-2006, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've NEVER bought a complete system, but always had Dell at my offices.

I would say, build it yourself. Sometimes what you want in "pieces" is cheaper than buying complete systems from Dell or Toshiba.

DON'T buy an eMachine!!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JurisAg02
Alienware...lol

alienware are good, but i like the asus lappys better they overclock, and can run raid0 configurations....

look for a wuXGA screen, other resolutions are just too acute for the large surface area of a 17" screen

make sure you get a 7200rpm hard drive, cause the 5400rpm is too slow and will take forever for **** to load/boot, the batter life difference between using a 5400rpm/7200rpm is negligible

make sure you get around 2gb of ddr2 ram @ 667mhz (not cheap) this will really help if encoding/decoding video, and making dvd's.

BTW...
www.directron.com is the cheapest ive seen (better than newegg)
Old 07-03-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Splitz

I would say, build it yourself. Sometimes what you want in "pieces" is cheaper than buying complete systems from Dell or Toshiba.

hes not getting a desktop, but a laptop... its not the easiest thing to do... building a laptop that is.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs down Yep....

Originally Posted by neodamonkey
First off there is no such thing as the right DELL.

Go with Toshiba ( only my opnion, but I have been selling computers for a while and I have one and love it). Its really hard to reccomend something without some questions. Are you just using it for the internet and like word documents, basic stuff like that? Or do you make movies and edit lots of pictures? Do you plan to travel with it or is it just going to sit on your desk?
Had 1 Dell for 1 day.. Between the tech rep that had me taking it apart, and the pisspoor support, it went back the same day it arrived...
The case was flimsy, the hinges were weak, and it was a total POS.
Bought a Compaq, and have not had problem 1..
Old 07-03-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
except for the fact that Newegg doesn't really have much in the way of laptops, which is what the OP seems to be interested in....you're stuck with whatever pre-configured system they happen to be selling at the time, there's no room for customization.

but yes, when talking about desktop computers, i agree wholly....that's where i buy nearly ALL my computer stuff

and also, the Alienware notebooks are actually not TOO bad....take a look at Voodoo PC if you REALLY wanna see overpriced....
you can buy parts at newegg not just complete systems
Old 07-03-2006, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

Now that I think of it, I really don't need a 17" monitor, the 15.4" should be enough.

Bad Habit Bird, I'm definately in the market for a Dell computer and hope to purchase within the next couple of days. I have no computer and have to run down to the community college or neighbor's house to use the internet. So PM me or post what you have as far as coupons go. Thanks.

I had plan on getting the duo (dual) processor. Are the 5400 vs. the 7200 rpm hard drives that big of a difference? 2 gb of ram? That is way more than I need. I've had 256 mb for a while now and haven't had any problems or hiccups. I'm sure 1 gb will suit me well.

Laptops aren't upgradable? Why? I really didn't want to spend too much money on a computer. Hopefully less than $1500. I know I couldn't afford a top of the line laptop and I'm sure I wouldn't need one as well.

Now I'm undecided whether I want a desktop or a laptop. I didn't think this was going to be that difficult. Either route I go, I'm sure is going to be a huge step up from what I have now.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

I have a Dell desktop @ work, it's about 6 months old and the hard drive has been changed twice. As stated "there is no right Dell".
My home systems have been Compaq/HP, never had any trouble.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Splitz

werd..i had an emachine that only lasted a year, now its in the trash. One day it just randomly wouldn't turn on