Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how heavy is to heavy for a n2o car...with a powerglide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how heavy is to heavy for a n2o car...with a powerglide?

i'm just wandering how light i HAVE/NEED to get my car down to before a glide would break even or be helpful in track time. i've heard a lot of speculation on this and this is why i'm resorting to here. i've seen cars running them with a race weight around 3400-3600. i just don't want it to leave like a dog or have so much gear to get moving it will be topped out at 120....
Old 07-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A better question is what is your goal? I see you're already running a th400.. I guess the question is why do you want to go to a glide?

If getting into the 8's is your goal, then I'd say 3000 lbs with driver, and a glide would be a good idea at that level. If you are only trying for the low 10 to mid 9 sec speeds, then the 400 is perfect. The 400 could be used at even higher speed cars, just gonna have to be a little more careful leaving to keep the car off the bumper.

Most of the cars that go from a th400 to a glide are doing it for a couple reasons, #1 is that they are finding it harder and harder to keep the fron tires near or on the ground, and the weight is also another reason, but it usually falls 2nd to the first reason.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

thanks man, i've just heard a lot of good things about glides around here. i know a lot of guys that run them in a lot of different cars and have good luck. i'm just not a real big fan of the th400 for a couple of different reasons. i had a th350 and loved it, just got tired of breaking small hard/internal parts, this is the reason i now have a th400.

the goal for the car is somewhere in the 9's, not sure where it will end up but for now its just the 9's. i know the glide is lighter and uses a lot less hp to run, just wandering how it would do in my car?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Alot of that has to do with like you said.. teh weight of the car. The ist gear is like 2nd in the 400. If you are out of first gear with the 400 really fast, that might be a sign that it could work.

I'd gues that you will most likly have to step the rear up one gear ratio step (3.73 to 4.10) to get the car to run the first 1/2 the same, only thing that remains to be seen is what will happen on the 2nd half
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Alot of that has to do with like you said.. teh weight of the car. The ist gear is like 2nd in the 400. If you are out of first gear with the 400 really fast, that might be a sign that it could work.

I'd gues that you will most likly have to step the rear up one gear ratio step (3.73 to 4.10) to get the car to run the first 1/2 the same, only thing that remains to be seen is what will happen on the 2nd half

yea, i did call the guy back this morning and i'm getting the 3.90 gears instead of the 3.70's. i figured it would work a little better with the 28's
Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 AM
8 second club

Several years ago when my 86 Camaro had a steel headed 454 it weighed about 3400lbs. On the motor with a 400 turbo it ran 10.60's\6.6's and the sixty foot was around 1.44 most the time. Even with the front end tied down with nitrous it would hit so hard it would try to flip over or about break the wheelie bars. I didn't want to change the suspension to make it work better with nitrous so I put in a glide. It slowed down a .10 in 60ft on the motor, but ran a .10 faster in the quarter and picked up about 3 or 4 MPH. On spray it would go low 1.30 60's and way more under control. I've went 1.22 60's with the glide at 3,280lbs.

The first glide I had was a basic bracket glide, had 6 clutches, stock case, stock 1.76 planetarys. I didn't know much about glides then, Coan said it would hold up. It didn't last 25 passes and I broke about everything in it, cracked the case, broke the planetarys, cooked the clutches.

I then bought a killer glide from JW, JW Case, Vasco input shaft, there best planetarys, 8 clutches, dual ring servo, etc... I made 250 passes with that trans and the clutches looked brand new when we took it apart to freshen. At about 500 passes I broke the input shaft and it took out the pump, anything will break if you give it enough time. :-) I then put one of ATI's killer billet pumps and there best input shaft. I think it's almost unbreakable now, but I expect even the good planetarys to break eventually.

I love glides, I'll probably never run anything else. They are pretty easy to learn how to freshen up yourself. It costs a lot to build a GOOD glide, but I think it's worth it.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

thanks for the info man! i don't know what i'm gonna do, i'm just sick of transmission problems
Old 07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSwanner
thanks for the info man! i don't know what i'm gonna do, i'm just sick of transmission problems
you cant be having problems with a 400, are you?
PG car needs to be under 3200#, IMO, and have some stout gearing to be beneficial.

Quick Reply: how heavy is to heavy for a n2o car...with a powerglide?