Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Gonna buy some wheels tomorrow...MAYBE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna buy some wheels tomorrow...MAYBE

I've been looking at different wheels for a while and I thought I had my mind made up. I am planning on buying the chrome ZR1's 9.5" and 11" from TomzWheels tomorrow with the 36/38 offset. I was under the impression that these wheels would fit no problem on the T/A because of the wider fender wells. Then I see a post on here about a guy having a hell of a time getting them mounted so what gives? Are these wheels and tires (315's) going to be a pain in the *** or not. I've searched and can't seem to find a straight answer. Someone that has them please give me the real scoop.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same set you are talking about but I went with the 50 offset in the back. I just got them about a month ago. It does take some time to get them to fit but if you are patient it is not that big of a deal. The biggest problem I had was my hubs needed a little bit of grinding to get the wheel to sit flush on the rotor. I also had to beat the inner fender in a bit and trim the edges of the bump stop. I did not grind away the bump stop i just trimmed the edges. You will have to jack it by the pumpkin. If you try to jack it by the frame or from 1 side the other side will catch on the bump stop. All of the effort is wirth it. The 11" wide wheels out back complete the look.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

I love the way your car looks in your sig - That is exactly the look I'm going for. What made you decide on the 50 offset instead of the 30something? It seems that by decreasing the offset the inner edge of the wheel would move further out and solve the whole bumpstop problem - or am I missing something?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

I was more concerned with rolling the fender lip than trimming the bump stop. There is a little room to move them further out so the 38 works but I was worried about it requiring me to roll the fender (something I cannot do without special tools). There is also the potential of the paint cracking when rolling the fenders. That was my thought at least. My car is lowered too - I would not have worried about the fender lips if I was not lowered.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

You may have seen it in the other thread but here is a better angle so you can see where the tire sits in the fender well:

Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by casey02ws6
My car is lowered too - I would not have worried about the fender lips if I was not lowered.
How much is your car lowered? How happy are you with the lowered stance? I'm asking more about day to day driving / living with the car - The look obviously kicks ***!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

11's take work when lowered, but the look and compliments is unsurpassed, and makes up for any work needed to make them fit
Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robdawg13
How much is your car lowered? How happy are you with the lowered stance? I'm asking more about day to day driving / living with the car - The look obviously kicks ***!

No real probs in DTD driving. The things that already bother you (steep drives and such) are just a little tougher. I am lowered about 1.5" - I think it is just about perfect. I certainly would not want it any lower or driving it would be a problem. I also have long tubes and an ORY that hangs down a bit. That is where I scrape occasionally on a steep drive or speed bumps. I try to avoid speed bumps if at all poss.