Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock manifolds

I just ordered a hooker catback for my o2' z28, but before I put it on I wandered about later modifications and where that would put my catback, such as LT's & ORY. I then recalled a post that I read about the 01' and 02' stock manifolds flowing relativley well and to see any gain in hp that I would have to go with LT's instead of shorty or mid headers. If this is true would it be beneficial to have a custom CAT delete y-pipe bent up to be ran off the stock manifolds into my hooker cat back. That would eliminate the horrible collapsed section of piping freeing up flow and then 02's would still be in stock location. I have a friend with an exhaust shop so I don't think that the pipe would be hard to run, but am I just behind the eightball and there are pipes on the market for this setup? Appreciate any help. thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Teching In

SLP makes an ORY that bolts to the stock manifolds. I'm not sure if they are a sponsor but you can check it out at slponline, part# 31035.

You'd probably get a better deal from your friend.

My drivers-side cat just took a dump at 58k so I got it replace for free at the dealer. Factory cats are covered for 80k or 8yrs. Something to keep in mind if you remove them under 80k miles.

Good choice on the Hooker catback. I love mine! Good luck.

D
Old 07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Bassani makes a stainless Y-pipe that bolts right to stock manifolds. With or without cats. I have one on my 98 until I get some Kooks, sounds great, and fits like a glove, no banging, etc.

I got mine from Tbyrne ( a Sponsor)
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

which fit like a glove your kooks or the Bassani?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by terry02
which fit like a glove your kooks or the Bassani?
I dont have the Kooks yet! ($$$$) the Bassani ORY fits great. (It is not pancaked at all, so it flows a liitle better)

Last edited by XtinctZ28; 07-07-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say save your money and wait to get LT's/ORY. The crushed pipe started out larger than the passenger side pipe so it probably flows just as much (read: don't worry about it).

You've chosen a great catback for later mods too.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 00-02' exhaust manifolds do flow pretty well. You would see nice gains with a mid-length header, but they aren't legal for the same reason longtubes aren't. You won't gain anything but looks by replacing the factory pancake y-pipe.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, I'm gonna think about it a little. I'm leaning towards saving my money and waiting, unless I get some ridiculous price quoted to me for the custom y-pipe. We'll see what happens, whether or not my wallet fattens will have a great impact upon my decision. appreciate the input. Any body else with input I'm more than willing to consider ideas.