Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird n00b question...is this a "rare" car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird n00b question...is this a "rare" car?

After extensive searching on ls1tech.com I'm leaning towards NO.

My wife's uncle is looking to sell his '99 mystic teal T/A. I always thought it was a WS6 AND an M6 until I went to take some pics of it today...I was wrong! He purchased the car brand new and I remember he said he paid almost $5k extra for the ramair hood and different exhaust at the dealership. Since I know nothing about Pontiac's, I was under the impression that all firebirds with ramair hoods were WS6's. After searching here, I've learned that it MUST say WS6 on the RPO sticker. Again, this car has a dealer/factory (not sure who installed it) installed ramair hood and exhaust system. But the RPO sticker only has WS9 on it. So basically, it's just a T/A that was ordered with a ramair hood and different exhaust...this doesn't make it "rare" does it? I put "rare" in quotations because it seems people like to use this term loosely. I have a bright green metallic Z but I don't consider it rare by any means.

Given this information, I wouldn't think that this car would command a higher price in the marketplace as a special optioned or "rare" car. Correct assumption? What do you all think?

A few pics...

Old 07-08-2006, 08:23 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by waveoff
So basically, it's just a T/A that was ordered with a ramair hood and different exhaust...this doesn't make it "rare" does it?
The ram air hood is more than likely an aftermarket hood. The "ram air" decals aren't in the correct location (they're too low). Also, there weren't any non-WS6 'birds built with a ram air hood at the factory.

The fit and finish of the hood looks really good, so it could be an actual GM hood that was indeed added by the dealership or a previous owner (if your wife's uncle bought it used). It certainly didn't come from the factory that way. Sorry

Also, the exhaust tips aren't a factory item either. That's also been added after it left St. Therese.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Launching!

He purchased the car brand new. I remember seeing the ramair hood on it the day he brought it home from the dealership but the exhaust I can't remember. So I guess the dealership probably installed the hood. A GM hood will have rivets by the nostrils right? The exhaust, I guess he may have purchased that seperately and maybe had the dealership install it for him? I'll have to query him before I put an ad up on here.

Thanks for your insight. I want to make sure all of my info is correct before placing an ad for the car on here. I don't want to be accused of misleading people.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't advertise it as 'rare'. So it's a T/A with an added Ram Air hood & aftermarket exhaust that were both installed when purchased. No big deal. Go buy a new car, the dealership will be glad to add all kinds of accessories for ya!

The color is Blue-Green-Chameleon, or BGC for short, ..., nice color. Some hate it, some like it. Not 'rare' either. No, it shouldn't warrant any special pricing or command any extra.

Good Luck. Sharp car.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

He paid almost 5k extra for the hood and exhaust? ....ouch.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

LMAO, wonderful placement of the Ram Air decals on the hood
Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the thing that would make the car reasonably rare is that color, its pretty unusual, but definately eye catching.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

does the car have the 17 inch WS6 wheels, or the 16 inch ABS wheels?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:15 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

either way, nice looking car
Old 07-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
I wouldn't advertise it as 'rare'. So it's a T/A with an added Ram Air hood & aftermarket exhaust that were both installed when purchased. No big deal. Go buy a new car, the dealership will be glad to add all kinds of accessories for ya!

The color is Blue-Green-Chameleon, or BGC for short, ..., nice color. Some hate it, some like it. Not 'rare' either. No, it shouldn't warrant any special pricing or command any extra.

Good Luck. Sharp car.
So is the color 79U called Blue-Green-Chameleon or Mystic Teal Metallic? Or are BGC and MTM the same thing? According to all of the RPO decoders and this 79U is MTM.

Oh, and to answer KyleLs1, it has the 16" ABS wheels.

Thanks to everyone so far for the info!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It was called different things when used on the Camaro or the Firebird.
Same code, different names, yer right.
Just like the Maple Red Metallic Firebird, or the Monterey Maroon Metallic on the Camaro.
Same paint codes, just different names.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Launching!

I see...thanks for the clarification!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's definitely not a real WS6, they did not make WS6s in that color. Someone put the hood on it obviously.

And the color is not called "Mystic Teal", it's "Blue-Green Chameleon". Mystic Teal is actually a slightly lighter shade. There are guys in our club with MTM cars, and BGC cars, and they appear to be slightly different colors.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
It's definitely not a real WS6, they did not make WS6s in that color. Someone put the hood on it obviously.

And the color is not called "Mystic Teal", it's "Blue-Green Chameleon". Mystic Teal is actually a slightly lighter shade. There are guys in our club with MTM cars, and BGC cars, and they appear to be slightly different colors.
I know it's not a WS6 because of the RPO codes but about the color...

If MTM and BGC are the same paint code but appear to have different shades, then how does one know what color to get if they had to paint a part of their car? Is there a 79U that's "chevy spec" and a 79U that's "pontiac spec"? I always thought that a paint code was a paint code was a paint code? This MTM camaro looks to be about the same shade as the T/A pics I posted. But then there's this one that definitely looks lighter...almost looks like it's BGM.

Last edited by waveoff; 07-10-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waveoff
I know it's not a WS6 because of the RPO codes but about the color...

If MTM and BGC are the same paint code but appear to have different shades, then how does one know what color to get if they had to paint a part of their car? Is there a 79U that's "chevy spec" and a 79U that's "pontiac spec"? I always thought that a paint code was a paint code was a paint code? This MTM camaro looks to be about the same shade as the T/A pics I posted. But then there's this one that definitely looks lighter...almost looks like it's BGM.
I'm not into auto body, so I don't know how they tell the difference. But I have seen a MTM Camaro and a BGC Trans Am parked right next to each other, and they aren't the same color.

I also know that the paint code for my car is 88U (Bright Purple Metallic).. on a Corvette 88U was Spiral Grey Metallic, and now for 2007 it's Atomic Orange Metallic. Not even remotely the same color.

Quick Reply: Firebird n00b question...is this a "rare" car?