Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

felt in door panel gone bad? part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default felt in door panel gone bad? part 2

i posted this in one other section but i needed a super fast reply and i couldnt find much about it on the search so im putting it here too in hope of a quick and helpful response. i am supposed to get my windows tinted tomorrow but after looking at my car's windows i noticed alot of streaking that almost look like scratches and was wondering how often these will go bad and if it is a very common problem(if most cars have it happen). A quick response on whether i should bail out on the tint for now or not would be appreciated.......a write up on how to fix it would be nice too. Thanks guys
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

The felt things youre talking about are what I believe are called "guides". Theyre the little metal things with cushioning material on the end that are inside the door panels pushing up against the inside of the windows right? A few years back the material broke off in my car and the metal bracket was scratching the glass. Id bail on the tint until you find a fix for your scratches. Theyre just held on by one bolt and super easy to replace once you get the door panel off.

Last edited by kraaazymike; 07-10-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
The felt things youre talking about are what I believe are called "guides". Theyre the little metal things with cushioning material on the end that are inside the door panels pushing up against the inside of the windows right? A few years back the material broke off in my car and the metal bracket was scratching the glass. Id bail on the tint until you find a fix for your scratches. Theyre just held on by one bolt and super easy to replace once you get the door panel off.

okay cool is it the entire piece that you need to replace or can you just get some felt and put it in there?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

You can pick up some new guides from the dealership for a few bucks. Personally I'd rather go with OEM parts than jerry rigged parts. Especially if it means replacing scratched tint later on.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it something that i absolutely need to do before i get my windows tinted or would it be possible to get the windows tinted and before i ever put the window up or down at all fix?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I suppose that you could get your windows tinted and just promise yourself not to use the windows until you change the guides out. But if youre anything like me you'll forget the first chance you get and you'll roll those windows on down to scratch city. Its really up to you, just try not to use them.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help mike i appreciate it
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Try asking the tint shop if when they are tinting the windows if they could replace the felt for you too. My cousin owns a tint shop and tapes over the felt because it or dust from it gets into the tint and causes bubbles.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is interesting and maybe i will go and do that on my own......the tint is already done and looks great.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Launching!

I would get them changed. Shortly after I tinted mine a guide broke and ripped my tint all the way down the glass. Its cheaper to install new guides than to have the tint redone. Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: felt in door panel gone bad? part 2