Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TC question

I was wandering if I needed to send my TC in to get checked since my 3-4 bands got burned up, or should my stall be fine to just swap into new tranny? Thanks Wes
Old 07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you trashed the tranny your best bet is to get a new converter not worth it to have crap run through a new tranny..........alot of material gets trapped in the tcc and can get dislodged when you run the next tranny............furthermore i dont know of any shops that will warranty a tranny with a used converter being installed.....did the 3-4 clutchs go out or the 2-4 band
Old 07-10-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tc should be ok, but you'll need to have someone flush it really well.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that flushing crap is for the birds there is no way to get all the imbedded particles out of the tcc until they decide to come out when your driving
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, ok. Well, I've been through the same thing he is going through with the burned clutches, flushed my tc and reused it, and I'm still using it to this day... and it works perfectly.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah and i rebuild trannies and there is no way that i would use in mine or put back into a customers tranny all it takes is once.......yes you can flush them i have done yes you can get the small particles out but what if there are larger particles stuck in there remember there are small places and tight clearnces in a converter....this is just like the argument when building a motor do you wash with soap and water at the house or do you have it hot tanked......there is a right way to do something......there is a well this is sorta right way.....and there is a wrong way.........why would you spend 1. the money for the parts, the labor if your doing it yourself..or money to have someone else do it..and i dont know about you but i personally dont like crawling around under cars to take a tranny in and out i do it right the first time and make sure there is no possiblity that i have not done something to the best of my ability and in the 4 years i have been building trannies and the 10 i built them under my dad i have never had any problems due to labor i have had bad parts but no labor problems becuase i dont take short cuts..i would not reccomend anyone else to take it either.....200-300 bucks for a new converter as compared to a whole new rebuild if all the crap is not out of it and again how do you know if it is all out unless you take the converter apart
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did it and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Maybe you don't, but I've never had an issue yet with mine and I'm going off my sole experience...
And my tranny guy ALSO builds transmissions and does a damn good job of it, and he is the one who recommended I have it flushed in the first place.
And my tc cost me more than a couple rebuilds, so yeah it's worth keeping IMO.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like i said there are three ways to do things.....but for warranty purposes i will not reuse a converter because even if the customer insists becuse they dont want to spend the money and you reuse thier converter and something bad happens they will curse your name and you will be the idiot people love to talk when they are mad but rarley give good feedback when they are happy...there has been many times where i ate a converter so i wouldnt have to worry about it later just becuase the customer didnt want to spend another 90 bucks so i bought it...makes me sleep better at night
Old 07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
like i said there are three ways to do things.....but for warranty purposes i will not reuse a converter because even if the customer insists becuse they dont want to spend the money and you reuse thier converter and something bad happens they will curse your name and you will be the idiot people love to talk when they are mad but rarley give good feedback when they are happy...there has been many times where i ate a converter so i wouldnt have to worry about it later just becuase the customer didnt want to spend another 90 bucks so i bought it...makes me sleep better at night
Yeah, I can understand that... gotta protect yourself.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i give out technical advise i always give the 100 percent right way to do it