Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is louder: An X or H-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which is louder: An X or H-pipe?

First of all, yes, I'm aware of the True Duals sticky at the top of the forum. However, this question is not answered in it.

I was reading about Magnaflow X-pipe that they sell and they claim that their X-pipes are quieter due to the fact that they scavenge the exhaust and balance the pulses from each bank, therefore providing somewhat of a small-scale sound cancellation. Is this true? I don't typically see people running H-pipes on 4th gens, but I was planning on doing so simply based on the the sound factor. I'd like a deeper and more rumbling sound, so I was thinking of the H, but if it is louder, I'm not sure.

Let's say that you have two absolutely identical dual systems. If one is running an X and the other an H, would there be a noticable difference in volume? And does an X truly scavenge enough to go with it over the H? (From what I know, either will work well.)
Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the H-pipe and from what I can gather from the numerous threads discussing this topic in the past, they should be very similar in volume. The H may be a little louder due to it's deeper tone. An X is supposed to sound more exotic and racey, plus make a little better power.......although there was a post a while back that showed an H setup making more power under the curve on a Mustang. I went with the H because most people don't. I wanted something a little different. I know a guy with the TSP duals and ST mufflers dumped and it is very similar in volume to mine. In the car mine is obviously much quieter, but outside, they sound pretty close.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome to hear. If I do indeed go with duals out the back (under the axle as you did so cleanly), I'll be doing the H purely for the sound. Saves money instead of buying an X anyways.

However, I was set on going with stainless steel and just looked at the prices per foot on that stuff. Around $14-15 per foot for simple straight tubing. Then I'd have to pay to have it mandrel bent and TIG welded. Plus I have no idea how much I'd need. The price of this potential system is going to skyrocket....
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that the H is known to be the louder of the 2. I <3 my X pipe though..
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had my GT i had an x and h pipe. the x was more exotic sounding where as the h is deeper musclar car sounding.

i havd true duals with an magnaflow o/r x pipe.. sound like my mustang did when i had the x pipe and flows..

i am now thinking of getting rid of the x and going for an h```
Old 07-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Resident

i think it's not even worth worrying about what's louder. i mean, with true duals, we're talking crazy loud vs really crazy loud? how much louder do you want

i say go for tone, they're both gonna be loud no matter which you use. as long as it's not a restrictive setup, exhaust should be all about sound. get whatever makes your grin larger.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

i do not like how my my car sounds with the Magnaflow 3" O/R X Pipe and magnaflow bullet style mufflers. the x is exotic with a racy sound. sounds like my mustang, with an h dumped with flowmaster. but at idle it is deep, at WOT it is a high pitch sound

what are my options?????

i want the car to have a deep bassy sound to it. I know i will get that with an h pipe.

so what are my options???
Old 07-21-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

H-pipe, decent sized mufflers, bullet style resonator. 3" Super-40 Flowmasters are good up to mild H/C setups. 2.5" minimum pipes.

I had an X on my car for 2 days. Hated it so much I put my custom 2.25" catback back on. Ive run a H for nearly 3 years now. I dont make any less power with it.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

H pipe is louder.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MNR-0
H-pipe, decent sized mufflers, bullet style resonator. 3" Super-40 Flowmasters are good up to mild H/C setups. 2.5" minimum pipes.

I had an X on my car for 2 days. Hated it so much I put my custom 2.25" catback back on. Ive run a H for nearly 3 years now. I dont make any less power with it.

where did you get an h pipe from??
Old 07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
where did you get an h pipe from??
2.5" H-pipe kit

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

enjoy

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-23-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

I'm switching from an X to an H also. But I am also removing the cats and replacing them with Powersticks. That kit you posted is a bolton for a Mustang, not even close to what will work on an f-body. Summit and Jegs has universal H balance tube kits or you could make your own.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Old 07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

So how well will a universal H-pipe match up to longtubes?... take this universal kit from Jeg's for example

Jeg's Universal H-pipe Kit

it just doesnt look like it would match up as well as a universal x-pipe such as this one.. although it is cheaper

Jeg's Universal X-pipe Kits

Last edited by Fibbado; 07-23-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Resident

you have to have them custom bent. take them to a muffler shop and they can bend them accordingly. it helps if you have some pictures of someone else's (or maybe a few different people's) setups beforehand to copy.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you have to have them custom bent. take them to a muffler shop and they can bend them accordingly. it helps if you have some pictures of someone else's (or maybe a few different people's) setups beforehand to copy.

the only thing is taco i have 3" all around.. i wounder is there is a sound difference where i have the mufflers placed at?? They are placed at the very end of the rear bumper with the tips attached to them.. really on place that they fit

Quick Reply: Which is louder: An X or H-pipe?