Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

molding question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default molding question

hey i have a 98 firebird and i tried to take the molding off today. The two small pieces on either side of the door came off with no probem, but when i started to take the large middle piece off of the door it looked as if there was no clear coat under the molding. there was a slight indent under the molding since there was no clear coat. i put it all back on the car but i was just wondering if this happened to anyone else and if it could be solved in any CHEAP way???
Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember one guy taking his off and it either peeled the paint or clear. I think he had the door repainted. I don't remember who it was though
Old 07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like its been repainted before and someone masked the moldings off instead of taking them off for the paint like they should have, the endent is from the paint edge/line.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats what i figured it was from, the paint. however, i just bought the car from a guy in florida who had it sitting in a garage all its life. it only has 13500 miles on it, 2000 of which i put on it. so i find it hard to believe that the door would have been repainted at some time?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpticar
yea thats what i figured it was from, the paint. however, i just bought the car from a guy in florida who had it sitting in a garage all its life. it only has 13500 miles on it, 2000 of which i put on it. so i find it hard to believe that the door would have been repainted at some time?
never know could have been wrecked still.. take off the door panels and roll down your windows, look at the plastic strips attached to the top of the door they will read GM and a year.. my car is a 94 with 96 stripping on one side letting me know one of my doors was replaced at one time
Old 07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess tomorrow i could look at the other side and see if the door molding is like that as well. if it is perfect underneath it then somethin is fishy
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Who says 13k mile cars arn't keyed? My car was keyed back a few years before I had it and the door was re-painted, and when they painted, and went to clear everything, they cleared right over the moldings.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spuds, your molding is off. Did you have the doors re-cleared once you took it off?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

you guys have it good. my door got repainted and toes idiots only sprayd the top part of the door and when i took mine off i noticed that the clear was fucked up. and the worst part is that the color they used for the respray is a bit defferent than the original torch red so i got a two tone door

Last edited by old and good; 07-12-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpticar
Spuds, your molding is off. Did you have the doors re-cleared once you took it off?
Re clearing the door wont help anything, it will have to be feather edged, primed, blocked, and then re painted. If your lucky your car is a collor that can be panel painted without blending.

I say put the moulding back on, if its a Camaro they look better with it anyway....IMO