Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which style headers should I get?
Go with the emissions style if you decide/ need to get cats later on
25.00%
Go with the race style even if you may get cats later on you don't need the air fittings
75.00%
Go with something else (Post in board)
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

QTP Emissions or Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP Emissions or Race

Hey guys I'm committed to buy some LT's from QTP with an ORY but am unsure if I should buy the race or the emissions sytle headers as I may weld in some random tech cats later on if for some reason New Jersey does an OBDII and a sniffer, although I think they only do a OBDII on 96+ models, although it would be a bitch to have to rip out the old "race" headers to have to put in some "emissions" headers. My question is can I run emissions with an ORY without any problems, just having the air hose run air with no cats and deleting the rear O2 codes with a tune. If I go with the race style could I run them with cats later on or would it be necessary to have the air fittings.

Thanks alot guys any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

well jersey also does a visual. I live here too =p

I personally kept my A.I.R connected and everything even though i'm running an ORY. If you weld cat shields around your ORY, running o2 simulators, and you have you air pump hooked up, your pretty much good to go with inspection
Old 07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i live in NJ, too. do they check for cat placement in their visual? i'm planning on headers next year and it would be some good info to know. i'd be running a catted-y.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
That's what she said...

You don't need AIR even with cats. If there's no exposed and blocked off bungs on your headers, the tech probably won't know you've deleted AIR. If you pass having LT headers, he won't care even if he knows.

I say race style, delete the codes, and run ORY untill you HAVE to change it. Get the car inspected before you put the new exhaust on so you'll be good for a year or two.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yea i live in NJ, too. do they check for cat placement in their visual? i'm planning on headers next year and it would be some good info to know. i'd be running a catted-y.
all depends where you go. Generally the rule of thumb it just dont go to state inspection and you should be fine.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

What is the purpose of the air fittings on the emissions style and stock headers, I hear it warms up the cats earlier so they're more efficent is this true. Could I pass even a sniffer test with the race style headers and cats?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:01 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by CamaroEMT
What is the purpose of the air fittings on the emissions style and stock headers, I hear it warms up the cats earlier so they're more efficent is this true. Could I pass even a sniffer test with the race style headers and cats?
It brings the cats up to temp faster. Ever notice it shuts off 30 seconds after you turn the car off? It's worthless after that. The injected air lights off the excess fuel that isn't burning.

Read the AIR/EGR sticky if you haven't already.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:45 AM
hashtagBMW

Go Race, then make new emission Friends.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 PM
dug
Banned

I think the Air is for cold start ups where the engine runs a lil rich. It pumps air to the cats to help burn off the excess hydrocarbons.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

When I do get my LT's installed should I go with O2 sims or a tune to delete the codes. Does this apply for both emissions style and race style?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 PM
dug
Banned

A tune will eliminate the codes or you could go with the sims.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK. GO with the Race, Delete AIR, it really cleans up the bay. Me and the wife did it with the header swap. If you have a visual, do what my buddy did. 04 Cobra, Ripped all the insides out of the cats to where it was just the outer casing. Cut the cats in half the way that the pipe runs. Weld the 2 halfs onto the ORY. It weighs a little more, but will pass visual. And you dont disturb any airflow. Just my .02
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically all long tubes are illegal for street use. Anytime you move the stock location of the cats it is illegal and long tubes move the cats further back. If the state you live in does a visual and they want to follow the letter of the law you will fail with cats or without with long tubes.

That being said no one can tell you whether you will pass or not. You can normally count on the lazyness of the people doing inspections to pass you as long as you have cats if a visual is involved. Without cats and a visual you will most likely fail unless you know someone.

I do not believe my state does a visual any longer on OBDII cars. They just hook up the scanner and if your not throwing any emmisions related codes you pass. I'm exempt anyway as I put less than 5k on my car a year. I'm getting cats with LT's not because I'm a tree hugger or woried about failing but because I like the sound of my GMMG and know it will sound like *** sans cats.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Beasst8
Ripped all the insides out of the cats to where it was just the outer casing. Cut the cats in half the way that the pipe runs. Weld the 2 halfs onto the ORY. It weighs a little more, but will pass visual. And you dont disturb any airflow. Just my .02
I thought about that as well, just in case someone tries to see if you have CATS.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Teching In

So I could essentially run the race style headers with Cats and rip out the air hoses and pump because they're useless peices that crowd up the engine bay? Even if New Jersey for some reason decides to do a sniffer test instead of an OBDII could the race style and cats pass without the air hose or will it effect the tests as well and other engine functions later on down the road, what are the pros and cons to removing these systems I can't seem to find the sticky post that everyone is talking about.

thanks alot guys so far, keep em coming!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The AIR system is just for cold startup applications. Once the car is warm, it doesn't come on. You would have no problem if you take it off since the car will be warm by the time you take it to the inspection place.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

you could get the emissions style and remove the air junk and use block off plates.that way it will still be clean and if you have to you can always put the air junk back on.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Are there any cons to removing these systems?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Are any of you running lowered cars with the QTP race headers and custom style y-pipe with cats?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

I have the QTP race style and have a set of Random Tech CATS on my custom stainless Y. The headers do not hang low, infact the lowest part of the car is with the CATS themselves.

I never recommend lowering a Catted car, simply because there is not much you can do to not scrape the exhaust on everything. If you have a visual then just get the emissions style, remove your AIR and EGR, then put them back on come inpection time.

I didn't need cats but I got them to smoothen out and quiet down the exhaust note. Worked like a charm.