Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Those of you with the Sunoco Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Those of you with the Sunoco Hood

Alright, early this spring I got a nice amount of hail damage and the hood was getting replaced so I opted to get the Sunoco cowl hood from VFN.

Now I almost wish I hadn't. This hood looks GREAT, but isn't fitting very well at all. And I'm not 100% sure if its VFNs fault, mine or the body shop.

Also, if I remember correctly, it is supposed to be attached to the hood hinges with 4 bolts going INTO the hood, right? If so, then the bodyshop is getting an *** chewing because they broke one of the bolts off in the hood, and attempted to repair it with a stud coming OUT of the hood. This didn't work, and when I went to put the nut and washer on, that they apparently forgot to put on this piece, the f'ing material around the stud broke off.

I'm calling VFN later on today, and taking my car up to the bodyshop with pictures of a correctly installed sunoco hood. Hopefully some kind of fix will be done.

But I guess my biggest worry is getting the hood to sit on the car correctly. right now the back corners that sit on the hinges are about 1/8-1/4" too high. And on the passenger front it is also sitting about 1/8-1/4" too high, but I believe that the driver front is fine.

So does anyone have any tips for getting this hood to line up properly?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

the body shop obviously f'd up. if anything is broken they should repair to perfect or replace it. i would be pist. and a little
Old 07-14-2006, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stud through the hood... wtf... what a joke
Old 07-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Not the mention the stud only went into the hood like 1/8"
Old 07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah that's the bodyshop's fault. I have the sunoco hood and I have other VFN hoods in the past and they've all fit fine so I know it's not VFN's fault. No offinse but your body shop guy sounds like an idiot.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Mine fit fine with a little work to get it lined out. My corners stick over the fenders about a 1/4 inch but nothing i could do to get that to lay flush,nothing major unless you eye ball it to death.

VFN should not have to take any responsibility for this since the body shop screwed it up,so i would take it up with them and get them to replace or fix the damage.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Teching In

yea, I'm taking it up to the bodyshop in a few minutes
Old 07-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Update:
Took it to the bodyshop and they wouldn't take responsibility for it. They said that the hood was "shitty" and the hole was stripped when it came in. Now I'm thinking, and you didn't report this to me or VFN? Then obviously they attempted to fix it, which means they were trying to cover up something, and obviously it didn't hold. Then he proceeded to tell me that I would have to pay for the fix myself. I told him that was bullshit and that I'd do it myself or have someone else do it.

They also said that they didn't receive the installation instructions which told them to trim the hood, which would explain the shitty alignment I've gotten so far.

So my next question is: How would you go about repairing the stripped hole? And how much of the hood do I need to trim on the sides?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybnext
Update:
Took it to the bodyshop and they wouldn't take responsibility for it. They said that the hood was "shitty" and the hole was stripped when it came in. Now I'm thinking, and you didn't report this to me or VFN? Then obviously they attempted to fix it, which means they were trying to cover up something, and obviously it didn't hold. Then he proceeded to tell me that I would have to pay for the fix myself. I told him that was bullshit and that I'd do it myself or have someone else do it.

They also said that they didn't receive the installation instructions which told them to trim the hood, which would explain the shitty alignment I've gotten so far.

So my next question is: How would you go about repairing the stripped hole? And how much of the hood do I need to trim on the sides?

Thanks.
I hope you either didn't pay (talking about the body shop) or paid on a credit card and can cancel the payment through the credit card company...
Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would threaten to take them to court or something. they have to prove it came that way. they should of called you to tell you that the hole was stripped before trying to fix it. i smell bullshit. nail their a$$e$. they screwed up and should fix it or not charge you. who needs instructions to install a hood? they are a body shop for crying out loud.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
I hope you either didn't pay (talking about the body shop) or paid on a credit card and can cancel the payment through the credit card company...
Well, luckily the insurance paid for it all. So I'm still more than likely going to notify the insurance company about this.

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
i would threaten to take them to court or something. they have to prove it came that way. they should of called you to tell you that the hole was stripped before trying to fix it. i smell bullshit. nail their a$$e$. they screwed up and should fix it or not charge you. who needs instructions to install a hood? they are a body shop for crying out loud.
Not trying to defend the bodyshop or anything, but we had a bad round of hail and I think they overbooked themselves. Then got messy trying to get **** done fast.

Other than contacting my insurance company, I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks.
Anyone?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than contacting my insurance company, I'm not really sure what to do.

Contact the BBB. Don't know about fixing the hood, though. I waould say contact VFN.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

A good body shop could fab up a fix, but honestly, it's probably not going to be worth it. I'd say that you need to talk to your insurance company, have them deny/revoke payment (suggest settling in small claims court, relatively painless for you), and go through another shop with a new hood. Sorry to hear about the bad luck!

Quick Reply: Those of you with the Sunoco Hood