Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot out so I thought I would do a few drag racing related transmission mods..

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hot out so I thought I would do a few drag racing related transmission mods..

Getting hot out and this is the 'off season' for me really since the garage is air conditioned and I hate going to the track when its 90 out

Thought I would go ahead and lop my bellhousing off and put the ultrabell on thats been laying here for a year. I had to grind quite a bit off the bellhousing for rear bolt clearence and also the engine cover hit as well. That was the biggest pita, otherwise a no hassle install. And its needed for 9.90 and quicker.

Also doing a trans brake, figured if I could leave with a few psi of boost off the line I may be able to improve my 60 foots a bit over footbraking it. When I floor it @ 3000rpm it takes a bit for everything to react so I'm hoping to get a few hundreths off the 60', we'll see..

Since I had to pull the direct drum for the trans brake I figured I would go ahead and do a TCI aluminum direct drum. I have lost almost a tenth in the 1/4 by swapping to an aluminum direct in high rpm BBC cars so I'm curious to see what happens. Plus the aluminum drum puts a lot less strain on the sprag on the 1-2 shift which is a good thing.

Last is a CSR catch can that I am going to mount on the firewall, I have a problem with this car on the short 1/8 mile tracks I run on it will spit fluid out of the overflow when braking really hard eve if I run it a quart low. Fluid gets sprayed on the headers and makes a mess under the car, and probably a little gets on the track as well which is the main reason I'm doing it. Plus anything thats polished billet aluminum looks cool under the hood lol. If its mounted up high enough the fluid will drain back so i dont have to empty it.

Thats the fun (or not fun depending on your perspective) thing about a car like this, even though it was running perfect last week you can still always find something to do
Old 07-14-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your wife is obviously a very understand woman

Do you ever stop tinkering with that car?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by King James
Your wife is obviously a very understand woman

Do you ever stop tinkering with that car?
Yes she understands that she wants nothing to do with it lol. I do race it at least twice a month usually
Old 07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Looks good.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kev, pm me some info on the CSR catch can
J
Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

So what kind of times did the 'lil guy run in your sig video? Haha, that's awesome. My dad used to do that with me. You may have caught "the beginning" of it on tape!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:03 PM
kp
8 Second Club

J, summit sells them, just google csr overflow can.

USMARINE1108, he is bored with it already
Old 07-15-2006, 01:58 AM
7 Second Club

make sure and rub you hand over that TCI tranny pan to make sure there's not any rough spots that need smoothing

i caught myself looking for a tranny leak on my ATI pan and i was running my index finger around the lip... not the best idea i've ever had
Old 07-15-2006, 09:28 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Yea, lot of sharp edges on them pans, but they dont leak though..