Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac ceramic or Jet-Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Mac ceramic or Jet-Hot?

Anybody had any experience with these two types of coatings? Just wondering if its worth the extra money in the long run for Jet-Hot's stuff or if the factory Mac coating lasts....its basically a $200 difference that can be applied elsewhere...Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macs or mids in general are yesterdays news man. Go Long Tubes. You can get emmisions ready headers from Pacesetter, Kooks,Hooker etc. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say forget the Macs and go for some LT's.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:10 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I say forget the Macs and go for some LT's.
That is the best advice I have heard all day.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

long tubes > macs
Old 07-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

I know LTs give better torque under the curve, but the ***-pain of issues that accompanies them sometimes isn't really worth it to me for a few extra ft/lbs or 5-7hp....not going to be doing any bracket racing or anything like that...just want something that will let my heads flow better than stock.....besides, I like the idea of being able to swap in cats if I need to by just taking out 6 bolts...

Just curious about the longevity of the coating between the two types...I know Jet-Hot has a good rep...but haven't heard about how Mac's coat holds up over the years...

If I save up enough in the future for a 427 LS2....then I will definitely get LTs
Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, if you set on the shorties then id say jet hot, there rep is hard to beat
Old 07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you buy Kooks and you want them coated do they send them to you coated or do you have to wait till you get them then send them off again to Jet Hot for coating?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i ahve mac's with their coating, they look okay after 20,000 plus miles. Slight rust on the collectors, but i drive in snow/rain etc. Only complaint about my mac's they have a slight tick from them. A lot of people say their headers of other brands do it as well. I make decent power with the too. 380 untuned with a TR227 cam, lid, LS6 intake, cut-out, pulley...

they are not bad, but im thinking about putting a set of long tubes on...
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Define pain in the *** issues if you don't mind? Just curious, thanks.

-J
Old 07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Resident

from what people have said on this forum, pacesetters are probably easier to install than macs! don't waste your money on mids. even if it takes an extra hour to install pacesetters, you're gonna argue 4 hours vs. 5 hours? get a muffler shop to put them in then. macs just make no sense.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some headers come with cats that can be swapped in and out for OR pipes. There really isn't any pains to LT's if you research them well before hand. Also you can get stainless LT's which is what I would recommend that you do.

I've got Jet Hot coated LT's, and while the tops (near heads) still look nice and shiny, the bottom part of the LT's that is exposed to the elements has rusted, pitted and lost its "bling". In the long run the only thing that will hold up and is worth the money is Stainless headers.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

The factory applied coatings tend to rust out quicker than the coatings applied after the fact. They're cutting costs somewhere.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
That's what she said...

These guys are right. LT headers on LS1 f-bodies are a breeze, no fitment problems like so many cars of the past. FLP headers have removable cats/off-road pipes that are flanged for easy removal.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
from what people have said on this forum, pacesetters are probably easier to install than macs! don't waste your money on mids. even if it takes an extra hour to install pacesetters, you're gonna argue 4 hours vs. 5 hours? get a muffler shop to put them in then. macs just make no sense.

I dont have personal experience with pacesetters, but i HAVE mac's, mine slid in from the top with no probs. Only broblem i broke 3 bolts in the stock manifolds from the cats... I dont under stand why they make "no" sense, good ground clearance, good power, easy install, no bangin on the floor boards at all... Its just my opinion though

Someday i may step up to a set of Kooks, or Qtp's but for the money, i like the mac's, all the cheaper headers that are mild steel are not going to last forever... You will have oppurtunity for a new set after a few years lol
Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I always had good luck with the MACs. My 99 dynoed 420 RW with Macs, home ported stock valve heads, and a 232/228 camshaft.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
I dont have personal experience with pacesetters, but i HAVE mac's, mine slid in from the top with no probs. Only broblem i broke 3 bolts in the stock manifolds from the cats... I dont under stand why they make "no" sense, good ground clearance, good power, easy install, no bangin on the floor boards at all... Its just my opinion though

Someday i may step up to a set of Kooks, or Qtp's but for the money, i like the mac's, all the cheaper headers that are mild steel are not going to last forever... You will have oppurtunity for a new set after a few years lol
oh, i'm sorry, i misunderstood. i thought you were in the market to buy coated headers, as in mac coated vs. jet hot coated. duh, sorry, i kan't reed wel.

EDIT: ok, after careful examination, lots of others misunderstood too so i feel better, but still, my bad, didn't mean to sound harassing.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had both MACs and coated Hookers (pretty much the same as Jet-Hots). Honestly, if I was going to stay with just bolt-ons or a small cam, I would have stayed with the MACs. Not that I have any complaints with the Hookers, but the MACs were so much easier to remove/install, had better clearance and tucked up better. To me that is worth a few HP... I've seen used MACs go for $150 and I sold mine with nice cats welded in the Y for under $300. The only reason I got rid of the MACs was because the high-HP set-up I have now needs to scavenge a little more...especially on the bottle. Don't sell the MACs short...I made good numbers with them.