Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paint reaction question?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default paint reaction question?????

i know if you spray enamels vs. laquers etc that u get these types of problems. but i keep it clean it has like 5 coats of primer , and after it happened, i snaded it all down with 400 grit and it came back!!!! anybody know why this would happen and how to remedy this. overall its looking good, this is after 3 coats of base. oh and on the first 2 coats it didnt do this.

Attached Thumbnails paint reaction question?????-basecoat.jpg   paint reaction question?????-wtf.jpg  
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now i could be wrong, since i just started painting a year or so ago... but it looks as if you are applying the coats of paint before the flash time is up... maybe you are using to "cool" of a reducer?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

i had to swith to a slow because the medium was dring too quick. its been around 100 degrees out everyday this week and humed as heck. but i just talked to my paint store and they said that the slowere reducer is soaking into the lower layer because its more aggressive. normally i would lay all my base and within like an hour lay down the clear its just been too hot to work more than an hour at a time. and the power went out 2 daysd this week(cameback for like 12 hours then out again.....) so i had to stop in between. hopefully switching back to the medium will solve this . if so i'll post up pics in case anyone else runs int ot hisproblem.

and yeah, now that you mention it i dont think i was really letting it flash long enough (maybe 10 minutes). but i was sweating and wanted to go back in the house.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

strip it to the layer that it stopped doing that. apply a good coat of an epoxy base sealer such as pppg dp90,74,50. remember epoxy is a lifesaver because you can spray about anything over epoxy. next buy some good base/clear and never use laquer. trust me its junk. i have a body shop in southern illionois and i wouldnt give you a nickel for all the laquer thatyou could find. hope this helps
Old 07-21-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

faster reducer helped and yes i hate laquar also. plus isnt laquar illegal tospray??? i thought they outlawed laquar in most states.now im going to have a cold beer then wipe it down with a tack rag and lay down the clear. an thanks olly for your help .

roff fixed.

yuck fixed.
Attached Thumbnails paint reaction question?????-wtffixed.jpg   paint reaction question?????-rofffixed.jpg  
Old 07-22-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

they say it can still be found if you really want it
Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

what products are you using.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

if you are using base clear, some times people try to lay the base down wet. it is not designed for that. the solvents in the base are very strong and sometimes when it is sprayed wet it will lift the paint back off.. some paint is better than otthers

Quick Reply: paint reaction question?????