Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! Door Damage *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
SS7
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Door Damage *Pics*

Hi everyone, posting here for first time, and my first post is not about something nice I posted over at camaroZ28 and posting here as well trying to get as many replies as I can, so here it goes...

I've had the car(94 Z28 M6) for a little over month, and ment to ask questions over here regarding some of the cooling issues, but what happened today puts all those problems away for now.

So I was pulling up to parking lot of my building and approaching a corner i took it a bit close and somewhere about the middle of the door there was sharp piece of metal sticking out which I never knew there was and didnt notice!!! So I heard the scratching sound and then I just froze and hoped thats not what I thought it was, backed up, got out of the car and was in shock!!!! Pictures....

And how she used to be

Im really pissed at myself right now Just wanted to ask anyone what would be the best repair method, should i bother with bodyshop? or should i be looking for the whole new door? or could I only replace door skins/exterior panel alone? Anyone know where to find one or has any for sale? Ill be searching through forums on how to replace/take off the doors, but if anyone has links, please post them here. Thanks for any help guys, im such an idiot, it really hurts me to look at it like that
Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know at first I was going to suggest dropping it off at a body shop, but maybe you should just look for a whole door. We picked up a red door in great condition for $100 and all we had to do was install it.

I would post a message in the parts wanted forum and keep an eye on people that part out cars with rear/front damage.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Yeh that look pretty extensive..and expensive....

I never knew that our doors were fiberglass...just thought the fron and rear quaters were
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

whole new door my opinion...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

The door can be repaired, glass is easy to work with but depending on what your bodyshops charge hourly may have you loking for a new door.
I would go and get 2 or 3 quotes, if it isnt that bad get it fixed.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Ouch!!!

If you take it to a body shop they'll probably buy a new fiberglass/plastic door skin and bond it to your existing door after they cut off the damaged one.

If you can find a whole door from somebody parting out a car that would be good, but they may want to charge extra since the power motors and everything would be included with it.

Check back after it's done and update this thread with the outcome. ~Joshua
Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Take it to a body shop. They will prolly replace the skin like josh said. The wind caught my dads 99ss's door once, and ripped it open, and stress cracked it up front. the body shop repaired it, re-painted it, but in a fwe months, the cracks were back, so they ended up replacing the whole door skin.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a new door.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BitViper
Yeh that look pretty extensive..and expensive....

I never knew that our doors were fiberglass...just thought the fron and rear quaters were
Fiberglass doors, urethane/plastic front fenders, urethane front bumper, metal rear quarters, urethane rear bumper.

I know, I got in an accident that wrecked all four sides of the car so I got to see the guts
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
SS7
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate the help.

I dropped by few local body shops today, and got quoted anywhere between 400-700$! They explained its repairable and job would include cutting out the edges of damaged glass and reinforcing with patches from both inside and outside, then smoothing the whole thing and painting over. That got me thinking that getting new door and installing it could be cheaper and a better option if I can find it. How hard it would be to replace the whole door? anyone got it done before? any write-ups? Thanks again guys.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

deff get a new door.. if your lucky you will find a black one... just call some local junkyards.. usually they will have a few totaled camaros.... tell them you dont want the door panel, around here they charge 75 apiece just for the panel.... and deff have somebody help you, although the doors are fiberglass they are reinforced and way a half-a-ton apiece
Old 07-21-2006, 05:37 PM
SS7
Teching In

yeah i figured it would be the best option maybe even more cost effective than getting the old one repaired. Just wondering how hard it is to replace the door? anyone had it done before?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, check the junk yards. There is one here near Goldsboro, NC that has a couple totaled F Bods. One was totaled from the rear and there is SO SO SO much that is still good and clean on that car. I picked up some parts off of it for REALLY cheap. GOOD LUCK MAN.!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is also an inexpensive way to reapir that without any body work at all. i saw an explorer done this way. you couldnt even tell there was any damage. go online and they sell these huge stickers that look like a bandaid and they say ouch on them. slap that baby on and no one will know.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

If I were you, I'd try patching the fiber glass myself. Read up on how to do it, go in there and git-r-done. What are you out if it looks like ****? maybe a bit of cash for the supplies and some time? Who knows, maybe you can get it looking good, then just have a body shop spray it for you.... IDK about you, but I always like to give things ago myself, hell I painted my car with just a few pointers from a pro, granted he did help out a **** load, without him it wouldn't have been close to what it is now... Just gotta make 'friends' with the right people, and have a can do attitude.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

Just get a new door... E-mail my friend Bobby at bad86z28@hotmail.com and my friend Charlie at m1a2drvr@yahoo.com

They both part these cars out... One of them will have a black door for you I am SURE.

Just put in the subject: "Mark told me to contact you about a door..."
Old 07-22-2006, 02:30 AM
SS7
Teching In

Beasst8...
Im all the way up in Toronto, Canada. And there not too many junk yards that I know of and its pretty rare to see fbodies there. But Ill be looking over at few over the weekend hopefull I find something...

Sgt. Spuds
Yeah I have DIY approach too, but for fiberglass work I just dont have right knowledge/skill, tools and place to do all the work. And in the end I doubt I could get it done prefectly smooth and strong as pro bodyshop would.

DEMONBIRD
Ill do that. Are they in Cali as well? I wonder whats the shipping for the whole door would be all the way up to Canada, must be over price over the door itself? maybe not worth it, but I appreciate your help man.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS7

DEMONBIRD
Ill do that. Are they in Cali as well? I wonder whats the shipping for the whole door would be all the way up to Canada, must be over price over the door itself? maybe not worth it, but I appreciate your help man.
Actually, they're in Florida... Contact Bobby first... I am pretty sure they just stripped a black Z28. The doors usually sit around so tell him your situation, that I sent you and I am sure he'll hook you up.

Even with shipping I would think it would be half the cost of getting it fixed...
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt read the responses from other members here but all you need todo is take it to a body shop and they will replace the fiberglass "door skin" and its not that big of deal.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
SS7
Teching In

DEMONBIRD
Thanks for your help man, Ive contacted Bobby, will see what he says.

C.J.
I took my car to about 5 different local body shops, and none of them offered to replace the whole door skin, I guess they have no idea where to get it...? Ill be looking through more shops in next few days though.