Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever run open maf at track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever run open maf at track?

ive done some research and know a couple people at the track that run open maf and in some cases run open throttle body with the maf tuned out......(not sure how they pulled that off but it runs 10's so ya haha) Jus curious as to if its even worth it, obviously theres more chance to suck up hot air from the surrounding engine but with my ws6 i think the ram hood should be getting enough cool air in there to counter act that scenario...im not worried bout anything going through there due in part to the maf screen as well as it would only be operating for around 12 sec then the car would be off...jus curious as to what you guys think out there and if anyone has some expirience one way or the other

thanks in advance for your help

seth
Old 07-22-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

running without the maf would require speed density tuning, and isnt recommended for dd. but if you have efi live or some other tuner on you laptop then you could special tune it at the strip then tune it back for street. personally i dont think running without the airbox and just using maf screen at the strip would hurt anything, but its your call.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

ya i dont want to tune it out...jus run open maf....i.e. no air box or filter
Old 07-22-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are worried about the heat you could just take out the filter . Also you could take off the screen on the maf .
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think it would be ok to run without the air box just at the track...
Old 07-22-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the IAT sensor before the maf? I think that needs to stay connected with a stock tune. You could always just take the filter out for better airflow when ur at the track.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
ya i dont want to tune it out...jus run open maf....i.e. no air box or filter
Why?

It won't make you any faster. The stock OEM paper filter can flow sufficent airflow for 500bhp n/a

Running without a filter only increases the risk of debris entering the intake manifold. You also loose out on any form of cool air ducting and air box resonance.

Clean filter + lid + FTRA is probably about the ultimate setup for an Fbody.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I run without the filter. But you do need to be carefull about dibree get'n in there. I'm just never gonna take the MAF screen off. (lil sence of security) You just beter remember tho that if you do,. you better have some armor all wipes for the airbox and the bellows, MAF cleaner and TB/Intake cleaner in your garage. I just use the armorall and a rag to ripe off dirt and dust at the track tho after every run.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I run without the filter. But you do need to be carefull about dibree get'n in there. I'm just never gonna take the MAF screen off. (lil sence of security) You just beter remember tho that if you do,. you better have some armor all wipes for the airbox and the bellows, MAF cleaner and TB/Intake cleaner in your garage. I just use the armorall and a rag to ripe off dirt and dust at the track tho after every run.
Armor all for inside the airbox and bellows???

Bad idea IMO.

Armor all leaves a residue.

Personally, I would use rubbing alcohol or something that wipes clean.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I run without the filter. But you do need to be carefull about dibree get'n in there.
How on Earth can you be careful???

You have ZERO control over what's sucked in while you run down the track. Think about how small the holes are in a paper filter then compare to mesh in the MAF screen......
Old 07-23-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this kid i know used to run his car (mazda) with no filter all the time, made car slighty faster of course.. there was no restriction to incoming air. but his engine also went after about 2 weeks. i dont think it would be worth the slight gain in power.

^even though the paper can support up to 500bph n/a as you say. it still gives some restirction. thats like saying a stock lid can support bla bla hp . we all know the aftermarket ones flow better. difference is; running with no filter will shorten your engine life. where as the aftermarket lids are just as safe as the stockers(if there on right). i wouldnt risk running without an air filter.

if you want more airflow i think a foam filter setup might help. foam flows very well. the only filtering effect is from the foam being sticky with oil. thing that sucks with foam is you'd hafto clean it alot/ make sure the oil is very tacky(2 stroke or foam air filter spray can+apply it in hot weather so the oil sticks to the foam) ... although when there dirty they flow poor because all the dirt that got trapped made all the big holes in the foam smaller. and setting up a good foam filter on an f body does not seem like an easy or feasable task.

i vote to run the lid and filter on.the gains if any in e.t. time wouldnt be anything to brag about.i would think you and most other people would value the engine health prior to small hp gains.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

engines work on vacuum, not on how much air can be rammed the smoothest way into your TB (unless FI)