Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installation?

When I do get LT's, ORY, and new Cat-Back....should I do the install myself or pay a performance shop to do it that probably knows what their are doing?

Splitz
Old 07-23-2006, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you? Is this your daily driver? Doing the whole system like that on jackstands will take you 6-12 hours in your driveway/garage. Find a few friends, buy some beer , and give it a shot yourself. Let me say this. If you have doubts in your ability to do it, take it somewhere. Or do some more reading here. Me personally, I didn't do my headers until I was 100% confident I could do it. I damn near read ever header install thread on this site. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Launching!

If you take your time and do some thorough research before starting the project you can do it yourself, I've done the full exhaust system on 3 lt1 cars in my garage and by the third one it only took about 5 hours. The money saved and the pride in doing it yourself makes the effort worthwhile.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cb94ta
If you take your time and do some thorough research before starting the project you can do it yourself, I've done the full exhaust system on 3 lt1 cars in my garage and by the third one it only took about 5 hours. The money saved and the pride in doing it yourself makes the effort worthwhile.
I agree, one of the best parts of modding your car is doing it yourself, you cant beat the feeling when your done!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

I installed my headers and a friends headers in no time at all, the first time me and my buddy did it and it took about 6 hours, the second time only took 4 hours. just really depends on how well you are at using tools b/c its just unbolt it, then bolt the new headers in place.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't mind doing mine myself, but with my luck, one of those back header bolts would pull the threads out or something and I'd end up throwing something or setting the car on fire. I have a short fuse nowadays.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

the only thing you really need to do is make sure that the socket is securely on the bolt and slowly loosen it, dont go get a pry bar or anything to pull the **** outta the bolt thats how you break them. I have a 98 and my friend has a 98 and no header bolts broken, hard as hell to get loose but once they do just slowly take them out and i reused the stockers also with no problems.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

like every1 says it is an easy but time consuming task but after a few curse words and a couple of 12 packs it is a good feeling to have accomplished something that worthwile, imho i would install them yourself and save the money you would spend on a shop on some more goodies,

besides you want to fire her up while on open headers wow its amazing, i think that should be mandatory or something,

whichever you choose you will be happy