Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP cold air package "flowpac"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP cold air package "flowpac"

Hey
I was wondering if the SLP cold air package "flowpac" that comes with lid, filter, cold air induction kit, smooth bellow is any good? Has anybody got this before? Does everything fit good? Does the cold air induction help at all? Thanks for the help.. Here is a link to the product if you don't know what im talking about. I hope it is ok to post the link if it isn't sorry...Oh yeah I have an 02 trans am not ram air.

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...47&BIG=21047-1

Last edited by 02trns_am; 07-23-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just get a lid, and get Fast Toys Ram Air instead of the CAI. The bellows are worthless from a performance standpoint. I have the CAI, but I bought the FTRA conversion. I can't comment on it's usefulness since I haven't installed it yet.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would I have to have ram air to get that fast toys thing wouldn't I? I didn't figure the smooth bellow would do much but it come with the pack so It couldn't hurt to just throw it on...
Old 07-23-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Screw the "flopac" and just get a lid, K&N filter and if you really want go to home depot and get 3'' silicon tubing for smooth bellows. There's your intake... then start thinking about throttle bodies and intake manifold down the road.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't think the cold air intake would help at all? not even just a lil?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats fine every bit helps from what I hear, but I don't think to me anyway its worth it. The big gain you will see is from the lid alone.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you're wanting a "Ram-Air" system then go with FTRA; it is a proven performer. I only went with the conversion because I already had the SLP induction.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Teching In

This SLP CAI requires you to cut your stock air box (the bottom), and also some of the rubber in front of the radiator. It's made of stainless nad will absorb the heat of the radiator and only is supposed to grab air that is push up by the air catch in under the front area (the thing that scrapes). I jsut bought the how powerpac (i think it's called), used off of ebay. It has the flow pac along with a loudmouth system. At low speed and from a standstill the CAI will actually increase intake temps, and only after getting to freeway speeds after the thing cools off will you see improvement if any. I would rather pull air from the front of the air box where is will be much cooler that pulling near the radiator. It's not a ram air kit at all, cold air, I've heard ppl checking temps and seeing an increase in the intake air temp. I just sold the CAI and am using only the exhaust and lid. Don't even want to run the filter that it came with, the paper filters have better flow from the side, as to where the SLP filter has a wall on the short sides. Don't forget, once you cut your stock air box, you can't go back, and will have opened a hole to the blocked off hotter area near the radiator.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u want something that works better overall get a volant cai, bgra and ur set. Thats if u have a ws6 hood. if not keep the lid and forget about any cai under the lid, do the fra.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget that flowcrap trash. Get a lid, filter and be gone...
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

+1. That' s everything I was thinking.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

I got a pretty good deal for the flowpac off of ebay and it works pretty well. The stainless steel duct is actually in front of the AC condensor, not the radiator, and it really doesnt increase intake temperatures. You seal off the rest of the air box with the intake so when your engine's running it's just sucking air through the duct getting cooler air instead of air from ur engine compartment. As for installation, everything went pretty smoothly except for the air deflector panel which was a pain in the *** to remove. Took me a while to get the MAF off of the resonator too, felt like someone melted the two together. Performance wise, you get some noticible power in mid range rpm's, and exhaust is slightly louder also.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STAY AWAY FROM THE SMOOTHE BELLOWS!

the smoothe bellows is responsible for all these posts about "my lid doesn't fit" and "my lid cracks". those who use the stock bellows, like me, will likely have a perfect fitting lid. my SLP lid fits awesome, doesn't rub a single thing, clams down perfectly every time and looks brand new even though it's 5 years old.