Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Underhood appearance question, don't really know how to word it

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underhood appearance question, don't really know how to word it

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. Could've swore I seen it done. I'm not sure if I dreamed this up or not. I'll probably catch a bit of criticism for this. But has anybody covered the open part on the top of the nose with a piece of metal or plastic. This is what I'm talking about

I want to do this, because I don't like the gap and I'd like to put the stripes on it, my intake and on my FRC's. A hole would have to be in it for the washer fluid, hood latch, and the hood adjusters. Other than that you could just unbolt it to work on whatever you need to. The existing bolts could be used to fasten down the piece. Would this have a bad affect on anything, seems like airflow shouldn't be hurt, if anything it might help. If this has been done, does anyone have the template, the one I made sucks. Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You mean something like this: <see attachment>?

If so, I have also seen something like this but I dont have any actualy pics of it or remember who did it.
Attached Thumbnails Underhood appearance question, don't really know how to word it-underhood_edited2.jpg  
Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smell an opportunity for money here. . .
Old 07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
You mean something like this: <see attachment>?

If so, I have also seen something like this but I dont have any actualy pics of it or remember who did it.

Yep, that be it. I could've swore I seen it done by someone. Anybody got anymore info on this?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Offtopic but please exterior pics of your car and those stripes?????
Old 07-24-2006, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Dosent look to hard to fabricate, but i bet somebody makes one.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Teching In

LOL i havnt actually been think about doing the same thing. Maybe a peace of polished aluminum or carbin fiber.. Im sure we are not the 1st to think of this
Old 07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

^ werd ^ I've been thinking about doing this for a long time... I dont use my washer fluid at all, so just the hood latch needs a hole, and possibly my headlight motors.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

I made a few pieces out of smoked plexiglass that i use during car shows. Took me several times to get the measurement right, but it did look good when it was done.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4ced
Offtopic but please exterior pics of your car and those stripes?????
same here....more pics of the stripes!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1ruben
I made a few pieces out of smoked plexiglass that i use during car shows. Took me several times to get the measurement right, but it did look good when it was done.

That's not a bad idea. I could use plexiglass for now to make a template. I could use my dremel to cut it. Be a lot easier than working with metal. Than I could use the plexiglass to make a metal template. And the ones wanting pics of the stripes, I posted pics a few days back. Here's a link https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/545748-got-catfish-back-paint-phantom-deck-stripes-flames.html
Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LawmanSS

Lawman, what are you whispering about down here? Are you in super secret squirrel mode, lol. Please tell
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Bsogood
Lawman, what are you whispering about down here? Are you in super secret squirrel mode, lol. Please tell

Lawman and I have had a secret for a few months now and I must say, he's been very good about keeping it!!!!

Here's a project, that has to do with this thread, that I've been contemplating doing for about 2 years now. I started it about 2 months or so ago and it's basically finished. Fabricated out of 2X2 twill carbon fiber and produced by a process called vacuum infusion which leaves a perfectly smooth surface free of all voids or pitting which is common in hand layups, uses a minimum amount of resin(for strength) and is super lightweight.

It is a carbon fiber shroud that covers the "big hole" in the front of at least Camaros. I cut it to fit the contours of the headlights, the bumper covers and cut out the middle to fit the "SS" hood duct work and the hood latch. 2 round holes were also cut to fit the rubber hood stops. Lastly this all mounts using factory mounting points as you may be able to see from where the holes are drilled along the trailing edge and the front "V" section. I showing it here just laying on the car, it is not completely mounted as my car is still somewhat apart, but I saw this thread and thought it would be cool to finally show the project.

Thanks Lawman!!

PS. This was a long, involved, highly custom project that I intend to keep unique to my car, so they will not be for sale for 2 reasons:

1) Somethings I want only on my car
2) And most importantly, this was highly custom and required a great deal of test fitting, cutting, more test fitting, etc. We all know, each of our cars are a little different so it wouldn't be practical to try to produce these due to fitment issues.

Bryan
parbreak

Bryan
parbreak
Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parbreak
Lawman and I have had a secret for a few months now and I must say, he's been very good about keeping it!!!!

Here's a project, that has to do with this thread, that I've been contemplating doing for about 2 years now. I started it about 2 months or so ago and it's basically finished. Fabricated out of 2X2 twill carbon fiber and produced by a process called vacuum infusion which leaves a perfectly smooth surface free of all voids or pitting which is common in hand layups, uses a minimum amount of resin(for strength) and is super lightweight.

It is a carbon fiber shroud that covers the "big hole" in the front of at least Camaros. I cut it to fit the contours of the headlights, the bumper covers and cut out the middle to fit the "SS" hood duct work and the hood latch. 2 round holes were also cut to fit the rubber hood stops. Lastly this all mounts using factory mounting points as you may be able to see from where the holes are drilled along the trailing edge and the front "V" section. I showing it here just laying on the car, it is not completely mounted as my car is still somewhat apart, but I saw this thread and thought it would be cool to finally show the project.

Thanks Lawman!!

PS. This was a long, involved, highly custom project that I intend to keep unique to my car, so they will not be for sale for 2 reasons:

1) Somethings I want only on my car
2) And most importantly, this was highly custom and required a great deal of test fitting, cutting, more test fitting, etc. We all know, each of our cars are a little different so it wouldn't be practical to try to produce these due to fitment issues.

Bryan
parbreak

Bryan
parbreak
That looks good. And thanks for showing it. Gives me a even better idea of what I'm up against. You should see all the paper I've wasted and the time I spent on the cardboard cut out I've been working on. I need to get back after it, I just figured I'd see if there was already a template somewhere. I like being unique, that's what get's you noticed. I'm going to continue to work on mine for now, I want mine to be metal so it can be painted to look like the outside of the car. It's going to take some time but I should be able to get it all worked out. what kind of intake you putting on your car, I was making my template to go around the intake and not under it. If it doesn't get in the way of anything I might go under because it's less complicated.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Bsogood
That looks good. And thanks for showing it. Gives me a even better idea of what I'm up against. You should see all the paper I've wasted and the time I spent on the cardboard cut out I've been working on. I need to get back after it, I just figured I'd see if there was already a template somewhere. I like being unique, that's what get's you noticed. I'm going to continue to work on mine for now, I want mine to be metal so it can be painted to look like the outside of the car. It's going to take some time but I should be able to get it all worked out. what kind of intake you putting on your car, I was making my template to go around the intake and not under it. If it doesn't get in the way of anything I might go under because it's less complicated.

I have an FIPK intake, so the polished shroud will sit on top of the CF and the intake filter over that.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The final product looks great, Bryan! I feel liberated now that the cat's out of the bag!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Vewy vewy kewl Bryan.

Very slick idea. I had been throwing around the idea of some panel type covers myself. iI was going to do the fuse box relocation and then I saw my friend Kelly's set-up. What if I made this in polished metal/chrome? Of course I'd have to put some down angles to make the borders looks a bit better.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

I've already solved the border situation. I'm installing a rubber channel that's used on RC scale model airplane canopies. It's a U channel with a small flap that really completes the edge and makes it look very professional. May work on thin enough metal too.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

guys....I understand the rational...and I think that Parbreak's first incarnation is a good one..but its not slick.. it looks contrived...your trading a large big hole for a smaller one.....

But you get major kudos for moving it forward. I look forward to seeing what the next variation (if one comes along) will look like....

Quick Reply: Underhood appearance question, don't really know how to word it