Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bringing paint back from the dead.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing paint back from the dead.

So my car has been sitting in the sun for 13 years. It came from the factory a nice shiny black. Now it's basically matte black. Covered in caked in dirt.

I bought a Meguiar's smooth surface claybar kit. It came with 2 little clay bars. Will this be enough for the whole car?

I have a buffer in the garage but no pads for it. What pads would be best to bring the shine back and what kind of compound would help get the paint back?

I've never done this before and I know you guys know a lot about this stuff.

Where should I start (I guess wash, clay, buff, wax?) and where should I end?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Teching In

I have heard great things about 3M products. i'd say a medium and then fine cut, followed by Zaino will really bring back life to your paint.

one clay bar is good for your entire car a couple times. The clay will only help get out contaminants imbedded in your paint. Start there and then use some 3m polishes (or other similar), then glaze, then wax of your choice (Zaino).

I'm sure others will have some deeper insight. Hope that helps for now
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

I will only use 3M for buffing and polishing. There are other waxes that work great but for getting the oxidation off and bringing the color back out use the 3M. It can be a little pricey but it is worth it
Old 07-24-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Meguiar's #83/#80 combo on a Porter Cable works extremely well. You may need something higher cut than #83, and with a much longer worktime, so I also recommend some Optimum compound. The shine isn't brought back by pad, but by both pad and product. Combining a low-cut polish with a softer pad (black/gray) will give you shine.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about starting with a wetsanding?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

If wetsanding get the Megs unigrit paper and try the 2500 or 3000 and only use the lower grit for deep etching. It can be a PITA to remove wetsanding tracers.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
How about starting with a wetsanding?
You need to be very careful with wetsanding. If you don't knwo what you are doing you can do some major damage. Personally I would never wetsand my car myself. I would bet that a good buffing could bring it back.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Launching!

I use the Menzerna Intensive Polish with a 7 in. variable speed buffer. I use a (foam) yellow compound pad first, then if satisfied i step up to a white polishing pad, then black pad for glaze/wax. The intensive polish acts like a mild compound but takes out most of the flaws and scratches with minimum loss of surface gloss. If u want i will PM you the site so you can check it for yourself.

Quick Reply: Bringing paint back from the dead.