Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Polishing Headlights...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing Headlights...HELP!

Ok, I've wet sanded my driver's side headlight to remove the yellow and cracking. I used 400, 800, then 1500. I did all of that, and then used the Novus 3 step polish. My problem is that everything is cleaned up, but the headlights are now opaque. I can't completely see through. Like there are alot of scratches from the sanding. Do I need to sand more? Do I need to change the polish I am using? Do I need a buffer or something?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Not really of any help to the original poster but i seem to have the same problem with my 01 cobra headlight. I sanded using the apporpriate grits till is was nice and opaque like shown in the guide. I then started hitting it up with the polish to no effect. I wasnt using the nova 3 step but i tried four or five different types of polish including zaino, meguairs, mothers and some others. It seems no matter how much elbow grease i put into it it just wont come out perfect. Granted it isnt AS foggy as before but it dosent have that absolute clear look like my other headlight has.

If anyone has any tips or ran into this problem themselves i would greatly appreciate the help.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you really should have just opened them up and cleaned them in and out . I would assume the only way to get rid of the scratches is same some more with a less grit paper.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've known PlastX (Meg's) to clean up headlights a lot. If this were a problem on a car I was working on, I'd try PlastX paired with Mother's Powerball.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Launching!

I used the Plastx and it helped, but it was still bad. I have one headlight thats old, one thats new (previous owner must have cracked it up in a accident). I sanded but it came out horribkle, so I just invested in a set of Halos. They should be here friday!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
I used the Plastx and it helped, but it was still bad. I have one headlight thats old, one thats new (previous owner must have cracked it up in a accident). I sanded but it came out horribkle, so I just invested in a set of Halos. They should be here friday!
Always a way out, I suppose.

I did notice that PlastX SLIGHTLY impotent (gets the job done, but it's not even 90%!), which is why I'm entertaining the buffer or Powerball idea.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

steps one ane two on the novus polishing kit are what cleans the lens to where you dont see the scratches anymore. Spend more time on the first two steps of the novus. These steps fills the scratches left by the sandpaper. Step three just shines the headlight and makes it look like new again. You will have to spend at least 2 hours to make it look like new again.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

**UPDATE**

Well after seeing some of the advice posted above i decided to conquer my fawked up headlight today and see if i could get it better.

I borrowed my buddies powerball, got the drill and plastX and went to town. I started out with two heavy coats of plastX and the powerball at med speed. WOW right away i noticed a difference. I slowly used less and less plastX while i bumped up the drill speed. After about 8 passes i must say the headlight looked GREAT! It still isnt quite as new looking as the other one but you can barely tell now unless your really looking. Also with every coat of PlastX i swear it seems to look just a little better. I think another 15 or so quick buff jobs and this baby will be looking new again in no time
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

I ran out and bought a $15 4000 rpm buffer from wallmart. I applied Novus step 2 with it, and then buffed it off with the buffer. Worked perfectly. Took no time, and headlights look amazing. I did the whistler mod too. Didn't turn out perfect, but it loooks damn good, and beats the hell out of halos.

Quick Reply: Polishing Headlights...HELP!