Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lessons Learned by a Newb PC User

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lessons Learned by a Newb PC User

A couple of things I learned in the polishing of my car using my newly acquired PC Buffer...

- Start and stop the unit while the pad is in direct contact with the car or you'll splash stuff all over everything.

- I used Menzerna products, which are water soluble, but others may not be so easy to get out of your clothes or off your driveway. They wash out in the wash and will wash off the driveway with a spray of water and maybe a swish with a brush. Still, it's a mess in the doing.

- If your car was neglected before you purchased it and there's tons of swirls, scratches, and mars...start at least with a compound. I used Menzerna Intensive Polish and Polish II and it didn't get out all the swirls or scratches, even though I went over some things multiple times.

- I have a neat little shop chair with wheels. A great labor saver! I still had to sit on the ground for some of it, though.

- I taped off a lot of things I didn't want to get polish on or didn't want the pad to go over. It didn't take long and I think it was worthwhile. Still, Menzerna products wash off well so maybe it was a wasted step.

- It took me an entire day to wash, clay bar, wash, dry, tape, polish, finish polish, remove the tape, wash, and dry. I was a very beat puppy at the end of the day! I wasn't, however, too tired to open a beer or two afterwards. Miller Time!!!!

- Microfiber towels are your friends! You can't have too many. You can wash them in the washer, but don't dry them in the dryer and don't wash with anything lint/string-producing.

- I used almost the entire small bottles of polish and finish polish. Buy the large bottles if you are very much more **** than I am or intend to do it again on your car or another vehicle.

- I bought the PC 7336 (Sander). It comes with the correct counterweight for the larger pads, was very smooth, and I didn't use the extra handle that it comes with. I think it's just one more thing that may scratch the finish if you aren't on top of things 100% of the time. I had a little problem with the power cord. It wasn't very cooperative.

- I went over part of the windshield with the Final Polish II to see if it will get off some of the wiper scratches. I didn't do very much and I didn't use any more polish than was on the pad already. It didn't get out any scratches but it really cleaned the glass. I think it would be great to do that and then put some Rain-X on it afterwards. I'll try that next time I do the polish using a compound first.

- I put the speed wheel on 4. It worked well.

The finish was very smooth and clean, and was MUCH better after I finished and waxed (ICE). I could really tell the difference. There were still some swirls, and it didn't do much to get out scratches. Again, I'll use a compound on it first the next time I work on it.

For those of you that are apprehensive, don't be. Get your polisher and get with it!

Good luck.

(edited to remove silly mistakes...)

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 07-26-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 The PC setups are very newbie friendly!

Another great tool to add w/ your PC purchase - detailing brushes! They normally have a couple different varients, and have one thats safe for paint to remove wax buildup around emblems, molding or if you just happen to get some extra wax built up into a seam that you cant quite get too w/ a rag - this is the perfect thing. You can normally pick 'em up for ~$10 for a 4-pack that has a horsehair, nylon, brass and poly tips.

Really tho, if you're apprehensive about using a PC dont be! Just take your time, and start off slow and it'll be a lifesaver (and a shoulder/elbow/wrist saver!) in the long run.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
- Start and stop the unit while the pad is in direct contact with the car or you'll splash stuff all over everything.
Emphasis on this point. If using a faster speed (5+) without contact to the car, you run the risk of breaking the backing plate. This is because there's no transfer of the vibrations caused by the machine, so it's absorbed by the rotating end and puts tremendous stress on the backing plate.

I made this mistake two weeks ago (I slipped, was getting tired). I was running at 5.5. I lifted the PC on accident, which sent my pad/plate flying, and in my confusion I accidently touched the remaining end (where the plate screws onto the PC) to my hood, which made thick, circular scratches on my paint. While it isn't to the metal, the scratch is so deep that it cannot be compounded out without the risk of running the clearcoat too thin.

Good news was that my hood is my "product tester", because I'm planning on getting an SS hood thrown on later. Anyway, be careful.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for sharing your tips with others
Old 07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
which made thick, circular scratches on my paint. While it isn't to the metal, the scratch is so deep that it cannot be compounded out

My condolences.

I've heard/read from others that a slower speed (<4) is actually more productive than a faster speed (>4). Can anyone confirm this through their actual tests and results?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

I've heard/read from others that a slower speed (<4) is actually more productive than a faster speed (>4). Can anyone confirm this through their actual tests and results?
*I* seem to get better/quicker results with speed 5+.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:02 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

i might need to get one and give it a try.....does a PC work well with zaino?
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'm glad you mentioned that about breaking the plate. I've washed the pads a couple times and then put them on the PC and cranked it up to 6, put it inside a bucket and let it spin the water off the pads. I won't be doing that anymore.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Well I'm glad you mentioned that about breaking the plate. I've washed the pads a couple times and then put them on the PC and cranked it up to 6, put it inside a bucket and let it spin the water off the pads. I won't be doing that anymore.
I would assume that < 4 would be safe for spin-drying. Don't let my stupidity stop you from a good idea. Just crank it down a few notches.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mcG
i might need to get one and give it a try.....does a PC work well with zaino?
Depends on which Zaino product you're talking about. Z-PC? Yes. Z-anything else? Not really.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

-Mike
Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Where are the pics?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Where are the pics?
As for me, there are too many beautiful cars w/proud owner pics being posted...mine isn't good enough to run with them...

Heck, I even have stock wheels.

Still, it's the best looking black car I've had, and I've had three now.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

As for me, there are too many beautiful cars w/proud owner pics being posted...mine isn't good enough to run with them...

Heck, I even have stock wheels.

Still, it's the best looking black car I've had, and I've had three now.
Don't be intimidated by other well-kept cars. If you put that much blood/sweat/elbow grease into your ride, it's definitely "pic worthy."
Old 07-28-2006, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Incedible, if your embarrased to show your car off here to a bunch of f0body guys and friends over the net, then take a window chalk pen and go write FOR SALE across your back window

there is no hard in showing off your ride adter youve spent a day or more detailing it and getting it to look good, i showd pics of mine while it was still bone stock down to the paper filter
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? To each their own.

It's a sharp looking ride. But it's a daily driver with all the scars, only shinier than it was.

Just another black Z28 with stock wheels...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? To each their own.

It's a sharp looking ride. But it's a daily driver with all the scars, only shinier than it was.

Just another black Z28 with stock wheels...
I'm in the same boat as you, but it doesn't hurt to show a little pride in your ride. I plan on swapping out the stock wheels before I go to Iraq, of course. There are a lot of tastefully designed f-bodies in here, but I bet you only a fraction of them know how to maintain and condition their paint by themselves.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose if I were lucky enough to have had the patience and wherewithal to have waited for a perfect example, I would be proud as a new daddy and forced everybody to look at f-body baby pictures, too. But I didn't, and I won't.

Whenever I get done with a hard day's cleaning and waxing, I sit there with the garage door open, beer in one hand and cigar in the other, and look at my clean, shiny ride. I'm lucky to have it. I finally got my own hotrod after all these years of waiting. I enjoy driving down the road watching others watch me & my ride.

But I don't hold any ideas that it's an example that so different or special that I HAVE to make everybody look at it.

Nor, I think, should I be flogged for feeling that way...

Hmpff...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

And best of luck in Iraq. Don't forget your sunscreen...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hgaha im sorry i didnt mean to come off harsh i was just saying you worked hard and should get some praise for it... sorry for coming off that way to each their own

nightwind.. goodluck and be safe over seas
Old 07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think he was trying to flog or flame you...that's the problem with the internet...it's hard to read into the tone of a message. My interpretation of the post was that he was basically encouraging you to be proud of your ride and to share it with us...but that's just my take on things.

Quick Reply: Lessons Learned by a Newb PC User