Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Jaguar XJR Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Jaguar XJR Experience

No, I didn't test drive one.

I was on the highway tonight, in the far left lane going about 70mph when I needed to merge into the middle lane. I had checked before merging and the lane was clear with 4 Xenon headlights projecting from a car a couple buslengths back. As I merged, I see the xenon lights right behind me, flashing away and the driver proceeds to ride my bumper. I apparently misjudged the speed of the advance of the car, though I have reason to believe I simply merged in front of the driver when he decided to get on the gas for a run, as it seemed he was going my pace when I checked initially. I knew it was a Jag XJ by then (what I did not know then however was that it was an XJR).

Highway took a big bend, where I usually follow the line to apex and when there's no traffic around, and simply by doing my thing, I put some space between my new xenon lighted friend. I realized that my exit speed from the bend was way high for the law, so, I slowed and made may way to the right lane to hit one of my favorite, long offramps. As I do this, here come the xenons again, getting really close, and as we approach the brake zone for a 90 degree left, I realized that he was charging hard and had no intention on braking early. He gets close again.

I broke deep, blipped, 3, blip 2, let off the brakes as I turned the car into apex, got back on the gas again, WOT and he was way back again. Repeated the excercise for a 90 degree right this time, and after doing so, we found ourselves at a red light, with him behind me.

3K rpm, light turns green, upspool on the turbo and feathered the launch and bam, put 2 car lengths on him out of the hole, and went WOT through 2nd and half of third and noticed he was holding his ground behind me. I shut down at 65mph and yet again, another stoplight ahead. This time, I intentionally moved over to the right lane to give him the left lane and we would have had a clean, heads up race -if the guy would have pulled next to me. Instead, he stopped 1/2 a car behind and would not pull up . I revved my feable, stock catback (which produces no sound, heheheh), and the light turned green. I launched like a cannon ball. No race.

I then cruised at 50mph, and once again, xenon headlights on my ***. A car in front of us slowed to turn, and as the road had turned into a 1 lane, Jag man was determined to use this opportunity to go WOT from a 10mph roll and try to pass me. He did go WOT, and luckily I did too, from a 1st gear roll- and this is were one could see the power this Jag had (as I had no launch to use as an advantage this time). I did not pull on him as we went through 1st, 2nd and well into 3rd, when I shut down again.

We cruised along some more and eventually, he pulled up by me and passed and this is when I finally saw the R badge.

Made for an interesting conclusion to my evening. Good night all.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I just found this image on google. Caption is funny.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice kill; i think they are lil bit too heavy..
Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Heavy, yes. They run stock LS1 times however. Mid 13's with 107ish traps. It would have definately pulled on my car if the speeds would have increased.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice one!

What year XJR???

The early 4.0 cars only had 370bhp then newer 4.2's had 395bhp and the latter cars are aluminium and actually don't weigh that much for a big car.

Great engine, but ***** philosphy. Ford won't even let Jags have a manual gear box incase they take sales away from Aston Martin!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:20 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^
thanks!
It was new. I'd say this model year, marketed as 400hp over here.
It's stuck with a ZF 6 speed auto slushbox on that side of the pond also then?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice run, them jags are nice...
Old 07-28-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
^
thanks!
It was new. I'd say this model year, marketed as 400hp over here.
It's stuck with a ZF 6 speed auto slushbox on that side of the pond also then?
400bhp? I think that's because you guys use SAE Net, where as UK is usually DIN BHP, just a slightly different standard but it make ~3-5bhp difference once corrected.

Yeah modern Jags suck sadly. And I really hate to say because I love Jags. I sold a 5.3 V12 XJS to buy the z/28.

Jags of old like the E-Type where awesome machines. But Ford is stupid and keeps narrowing Jaguars market down.

They all have to have squidgy suspension, no LSD and auto and all tuned for refinement not power. Ford keeps trying to get them to compeat with Volvo class cars and high end Fords like the Mondeo

They should be going after Porsche and the high end BMW's but nope. That's Aston Martin territory, except Aston Martin's cost way more and are limited production. It's no wonder Jagaur and Ford are both stuggling with sales when they are so frigging dumb.

That said the Jaguar V8 is an awesome powerplant. It's as small and lightwieght as a LS1 but due to DOHC has a larger rpm operationaly range. And theyu take too boost incrediably well. With some decent cams and good bolt on's I can easily see the 4.2's making ~600bhp+ on 91 octane. Even a Ls1 (346ci) with boost will struggle to do that on 91 octane. But the after market doesn't cater for it.

I mean get a load of this, there's a place not far from me that offers and intercooler upgrade and pulley swap. And they charge £4000 +VAT That's about $10,000!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joegt38
Nice run, them jags are nice...
Thanks man! Good to see some members from a few years ago still here.
Don't post too often here anymore myself. Don't streetrace much anymore, and wagon kills don't excite many people.

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I sold a 5.3 V12 XJS to buy the z/28.
Really? What year?

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 07-29-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

1982, was nice car but way to costly to mod properly