Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

T/A, 92,000 miles, bad buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T/A, 92,000 miles, bad buy?

A buddy of mine is looking at a 2002 T/A. Its everything he wants, 6-speed, t-tops, leather, premium sound, loaded, the works. The only problem is that it has 92,000 miles. This is a crazy number for how young the car is i think but the car is in remarkable shape. Very few dings and minor imperfections in anything, from the paint to the leather, its in great shape. Under the hood the engine bay is even remarkably clean. I havent had a chance to look at it underneath up on a lift or anything but i will. They are asking 13,900 but mentioned they may be able to sway 8 or 9 hundred bucks.

What I'm getting down to here is the question; Is this a good car to buy? Or is 92,000 too many miles for an LS1 of this nature and this price. As much of a great engine the LS1 is, its not a honda.

So what do you guys this my friend should do? Does the car have 5 years left in it? how many miles can he expect from it before any major problems?

Thanks
Ben
Old 07-29-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Too much imo.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

The car easily has 5 years left in it's life. The cleanliness is always an indicator of a well-kept car. Dealerships, and especially smaller dealerships, tend to have the cars detailed by a local shop before putting them on their lots. That clean engine bay could be the result of a good steam cleaning. I agree though the price seems a little high. But as we've seen in here before, prices seem to fluctuate all over the place depending on where you live.

My 'bird has over 125,000 miles on it, and I race it ALL the time. I'm also one of the lucky ones that hasn't experienced any oil consumption.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCook839
A buddy of mine is looking at a 2002 T/A. Its everything he wants, 6-speed, t-tops, leather, premium sound, loaded, the works. The only problem is that it has 92,000 miles. This is a crazy number for how young the car is i think but the car is in remarkable shape. Very few dings and minor imperfections in anything, from the paint to the leather, its in great shape. Under the hood the engine bay is even remarkably clean. I havent had a chance to look at it underneath up on a lift or anything but i will. They are asking 13,900 but mentioned they may be able to sway 8 or 9 hundred bucks.

What I'm getting down to here is the question; Is this a good car to buy? Or is 92,000 too many miles for an LS1 of this nature and this price. As much of a great engine the LS1 is, its not a honda. So what do you guys this my friend should do? Does the car have 5 years left in it? how many miles can he expect from it before any major problems?

Thanks
Ben
Not a Honda... Thank GOD!!! Hondas have to be revved up to 7,000+rpm before they go anywhere. How do you think that affects longevity? Every Honda I know over a 120k miles blow so much smoke out of the exhaust it isn't funny. A Honda with 140k miles isn't a racer (if you could consider it a racer to begin with), it's a car that you baby because it will friggin' break if you beat on it the same way you did when it was new.

My LT1 with 132k miles has been raped it's entire life and it still runs like a beast.
My 2002 Firehawk is never going to reach that number of miles, but it has been very good to me considering it now has around 550 rwhp using twin turbos.

13k is way too much for that car. You should look in the classifieds on this site. You can find much better options for the same 13k. ~Joshua
Old 07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

$13K is too high. That would be a $10K car at the most.

A 4 yr old car with 92K driven nicely will last longer than a 10 year old car with 50K and the living snot beat out of it.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys he bought the car. He did so without really warning me so he ended up paying the 13 grand. Im kinda pissed but eh, whatever, atleast he didnt buy a honda. I drove it and it is sweet as hell. Its not the fastest F-body I've ever driven, it being bone stock and all, but we'll have to work on that.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Let us know as soon as he has to replace the rear end...... lol
Old 07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Good choice, hope he takes care of it!! ls1's are the best thing about these cars....and the most reliable.

As for price, it depends where you live. In socal it would be a steal.....6 speed and all....thats if we are talking about a ws6 though, but for a standard t/a the price is ok.

Quick Reply: T/A, 92,000 miles, bad buy?