Keyed – Touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keyed – Touch up paint?

Someone screwed with my car when at the movies last nite. Just saw it this morning. Doesn’t look deep and like most of it will buff out but there are a couple spots where it went down to the metal/primer. Anyone know if there is or where I can maybe find some little touch up pain that may be close to the org. silver on the car?

I bought one of those little bottles that has the brush made in it of white for my old car form like Autozone I think a few years ago and it was almost a completely different color, made it look worse then with it did with the scratch. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

go get the touch up paint from gm. and get the clear coat also. the trick to making the scratch nearly disappear is to apply the base coat with a fine art brush. build it up with 1-3 coats of base. let dry. wetsand lightly . then apply the clear. about 2 coats. let it dry for about 2 days. wetsand and buff out the area. it should be perfect then.

Last edited by ex-SS-ve; 07-29-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SebastianLopezJr
Thanks man.
no problem. if you have any other questions. don't hesitate to ask.!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah dont do the autozone touch up paint on silver, i have some "parking lot scars" and the people before me trired touchin it up.....VERY noticable. you see the original silver and then the touch up paint looks like aluminium foil...very noticable

where did you get keyed at?
mines alll the way down on the passenger side....on the gas gap....and back to the passanger side going vertical lol
Old 07-29-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Down the pass. side and then looked like they did swirl marks on the pass. side mirror. Most is not too deep but a few places like on the mirror it went down to the primer/plastic. Sucks cause supposed to do a car show & cruise thing here in town in a couple weeks.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

go get the touch up paint from gm. and get the clear coat also. the trick to making the scratch nearly disappear is to apply the base coat with a fine art brush. build it up with 1-3 coats of base. let dry. wetsand lightly . then apply the clear. about 2 coats. let it dry for about 2 days. wetsand and buff out the area. it should be perfect then.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do u wetsand?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

warm soapy water and 2500 or finer grit.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nightrida
Old 07-29-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just get you some **do it with the 2500 grit paper like mentioned above** and a rubber squugy, get a spray bottle mixed with soap and water and spray on the area you are going to sand. start sanding with the paper keeping the paper wet. DONT let it dry out the water and soap keeps the paper lubbed and clean. after you've sanded a few strokes, get the aquugy and wip off the water, if there are little dark area's and light areas, it means you still have some high's and lows. keep on doing a few strokes at a time. i know a couple at a time is going to be slow but it's better doing little steps at a time than fkking up and sanding threw your paint. once you do that and have it all even dull just buff it out with the proper compound.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:36 PM

good luck i have a big mark in my passenger side fender all the way down to the plastic on the front that i am either going to get taking out or do it my self first and if it dont look right then i will take it in and get it fixed but good luck with it i know that that **** really can **** you right off when it happens

Quick Reply: Keyed – Touch up paint?