Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wires bad for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wires bad for your car?

My godfathers brother is a GM mechanic. He said he would not recommend changing the sparkplug wires and plugs from stock.

He said it may damage the coils and they are 700 a piece. And he said it won't have the clips, and that is also bad. Also something about the wires being to big or something and they don't fit right.

Lastly, he said you need a special tool to do the install and there is no way a person will limited mechanical experience like me can do it. Last time I checked a turbo swap was more difficult than hard to get to plugs and wires.

I purchased MSD 8.5mm wires, from what I got from my research they are the best, but he is a mechanic so it should hold some water.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
My godfathers brother is a GM mechanic. He said he would not recommend changing the sparkplug wires and plugs from stock.

He said it may damage the coils and they are 700 a piece. And he said it won't have the clips, and that is also bad. Also something about the wires being to big or something and they don't fit right.

Lastly, he said you need a special tool to do the install and there is no way a person will limited mechanical experience like me can do it. Last time I checked a turbo swap was more difficult than hard to get to plugs and wires.

I purchased MSD 8.5mm wires, from what I got from my research they are the best, but he is a mechanic so it should hold some water.
MSD's on mine. GM tech put them in.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, no offense, but he doesnt quite know what he is talking about if he is telling you that it is bad to change to aftermarket spark plugs and wires. And it is not impossible for someone with limited experience to change plugs. It just takes time, patients, some beer, and a willingness to get your hands all cut up. It will take a couple hours to get it done but each time you do it, it gets easier and faster. Maybe he just wants you to take your car to him so he can charge you an outrageous amount of money to do a job that you can do for free. Do it yourself.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

UH, NO, I have had NO probs and as far as difficult.... I did the drivers side and MY WIFE did the passenger side. Just have patients and some time. ITS NOT HARD
Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he needs to go back to GM school and take some LS1 classes or visit this board and read a little. Nothing he said is true and if he's paying $700 for a coil, he's dumber than he sounds. Or maybe he's charging his cutomers that much and he might be brighter than I'm giving him credit for.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

I will go install them then, I thought that was wierd.

Figured with 40k miles, might as well do some maintence.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ubergeist

Two questions here.

1) What in God's name is he smoking?

2) Does he have any left?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only thing of merit about the whole shebang is that the plugs for the GM wires are hard to find. The MSDs have them though, so no worries.

That said, GM's factory wires are pretty good though.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

It took me about 25-30 minutes the first time I did the wires on my T/A. Nothing hard about it at all. Heck it took longer to change the wires and plugs on my Iroc than my T/A.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

$700!!!!!!!!!! you could get ALL new MSD performance coils, with new plugs and new wires and a cold case of beer for less than that. and the last time i checked a new GM coil was less than $100
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

lmao, typical dealer tech.
tell him hes a fool
Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW, around here all you need to do to become ASE certified is work at some sort of garage type job (even changing tires at wal mart will work) for 90 days and then you can take the ASE certification test. so not all "certified" techs know what they are talking about.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
FWIW, around here all you need to do to become ASE certified is work at some sort of garage type job (even changing tires at wal mart will work) for 90 days and then you can take the ASE certification test. so not all "certified" techs know what they are talking about.
im not certified, **** i failed my test, and i still put dealer techs in their place. as far as ive noticed, its mostly dealer techs that come up with these stupid ideas
Old 07-30-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

reason i will never take any car i will ever own to a stealership..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd

it is 2 years on the job experience for ASE cert. in Ok

and it has to be tech work, as in changing tires doesn't count
Old 07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beasst8
UH, NO, I have had NO probs and as far as difficult.... I did the drivers side and MY WIFE did the passenger side. Just have patients and some time. ITS NOT HARD

Dam man how the hell did she get in number 8 plug and wire took me forever.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little hands and skinny arms probably. Actually, getting #8 from the bottom is pretty easy.....at least with headers.

Originally Posted by 1slowls1
Dam man how the hell did she get in number 8 plug and wire took me forever.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:25 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

about the wires.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Little hands and skinny arms probably. Actually, getting #8 from the bottom is pretty easy.....at least with headers.
Im lucky I work at a shop and had a lift for #8 and like someone else said on your first time be prepared to cut your arm up and cuss alot

p.s. msd 8.5 mm wires on here and no complaints at all.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beasst8
thats so nice of you to give her the easy side!