Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

do i need to blend the fenders

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do i need to blend the fenders

im picking up an ultra z hood this weekend for my 01z28, it is NBM and my car is bright rally red so a repaint is in order... im gonna paint the hood myself, but do u think that i will need to blend the fenders...im going to paint the car in a few months (just cant decide on a color) but i want the new hood on now.. so if there is a veryslight color diffrence (that nobody but me would notice) i can live with it since it will only be for a few months..... the car is a florida car so there is sunshine but it is always waxed and doesnt look faded...
just wonderin what to expect.....

ohh and i believe the code for bright rally red is 81U is this correct... i would look on the door but all the codes are gone!!!!! i suppose i can just use the search feature for that
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Id buy good material,prime the hood grey like faxtory and squirt it. Itll be damn close if the mix is worth a ****..
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Red is one of the most difficult colors to match. When you lay the color on, it looks much different then after it dries. It depends on how picky you are about your car. GM didn't blend anything when they put the SS hoods/spoilers on.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well matching the color shouldnt be hard if its not faded (i think)... i am no paint expert but the paint shouldnt be faded since it has a clearcoat and always had fresh wax on it to protect it from the florida sun... if i buy the 8IU (paint code) from a auto paint store i wont have to mix any colors, just the thinner and crap correct??....
Old 08-02-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by presto_z
well matching the color shouldnt be hard if its not faded (i think)... i am no paint expert but the paint shouldnt be faded since it has a clearcoat and always had fresh wax on it to protect it from the florida sun... if i buy the 8IU (paint code) from a auto paint store i wont have to mix any colors, just the thinner and crap correct??....

The paint store will be mixing the paint based on the formula of 8IU. There is alot of room for error, especially on reds. Depending on the brand of paint that you are buying, there could be some variances for the color listed in the computer at the store too...Meaning you don't really know how close the match is untill you spray out some test cards.

Use test cards, spray them with color & clear, let them dry, campare the color in natural sun light. If you are going to a different color later, you should get it close w/out blending for now.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Red can be tough to match. It's going to be a crap shoot. Like Unstang said spray out a few test panels and check it out, if not just bite the bullet and blend the fenders to make it look right.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

order it from a reputable shop. get DBC base coat, I like concept clear. you'll need reducer/hardner as well.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i know about the thinner and hardner... this isnt my first time "skining a cat", just wasnt sure how good the colors would match due to possible fading... guess ill just have to wait to find out